Torpedo Live Makes My Amps Distort

cpiquette

So i recently bought 2 torpedo live units for both my Bogner Shiva and my wife's Vox AC30. When I plug them in, i get a noticeable amount of added distortion. I would almost call it fuzzy in the way it sounds. It becomes very obvious when i have both the master volume and the channel 1 volume on my Bogner at 12 o'clock. the clean channel has a very obvious amount of not so clean sound... Has anyone ever run into this issue before?

Are you sure you have the tube power amp sims off, and the cab sims on?

What happens if you turn the Bogner clean channel's volume down and the master volume up?

cpiquette maybe you already contacted us on the Help Desk and we will address the question over there, but just to put a little information to everybody here, we will work on a white paper that adresses the main issues you can encounter when you first use a (hopefully working ^^) Torpedo Live, CAB or Studio.

You should check that:

- is your amp on a regular cabinet distorting at the same level you put it on the Live? There is also what we can call a magnifying effect due to the miking process, which is different from the listening to a regular cabinet directly. The microphone will pick and emphasize some aspects of your tone that you can't hear standing next to a cabinet.

- Make sure the power amp modeling is switched off on the Torpedo

- There is a Dry Wet option that may be set to Dry/Wet or Wet/Dry (Setup Menu/output mode), make sure it is Wet/Wet and read the manual about that function

These are the essentials, we will put a more thorough article on the Help Desk, with maybe some tips on recording.

Heres a little more insight into how I'm connecting the Live and how I'm running it...
first off, I disconnect the speaker in my combo and plug my speaker cable from the speaker out into the speaker input. My amp is set for 8ohms. I am not running the amp at any extreme settings as to cause the added gain. The input of the torpedo is set to peak around -6 db, and my preset volumes are around -7db. I then use a TRS to XLR cable to go out to my mixer. When I first plugged into the mixer,it was clipping the input so I pulled the live's output from -5db down to -15db and adjusted my mixers input gain to get a healthy signal. The output is set for wet/wet, and the power amp modeling is set to the off position.

I have never heard the amp distort like that, let alone the the two amps... I will also hook it up with a 2nd cable and run my cab as well and verify that the load isn't doing something wacky otherwise. are there any other thoughts?

guillaume_pille":274rmi2n said:
cpiquette maybe you already contacted us on the Help Desk and we will address the question over there, but just to put a little information to everybody here, we will work on a white paper that adresses the main issues you can encounter when you first use a (hopefully working ^^) Torpedo Live, CAB or Studio.

You should check that:

- is your amp on a regular cabinet distorting at the same level you put it on the Live? There is also what we can call a magnifying effect due to the miking process, which is different from the listening to a regular cabinet directly. The microphone will pick and emphasize some aspects of your tone that you can't hear standing next to a cabinet.

- Make sure the power amp modeling is switched off on the Torpedo

- There is a Dry Wet option that may be set to Dry/Wet or Wet/Dry (Setup Menu/output mode), make sure it is Wet/Wet and read the manual about that function

These are the essentials, we will put a more thorough article on the Help Desk, with maybe some tips on recording.

I did submit a help ticket as well on the two-notes site. hopefully you guys can help, cuz i dropped a pretty penny on 2 of these units, and i really want to make them work for us.

Please send a sound sample to the support if you can, it may help us understand what you are actually hearing. A less than 1MB mP3 file will suffice.

BTW, 12 on a master volume can be very, very hot. What model is your amp?

I will snag a sample once I get into rehearsal this evening. Shouldn't I be able to run my amp reasonably close to what I would normally? I certainly wouldn't dime the amp and expect great results, but I do want the amp to open up and breathe a bit. I am experiencing these issues on my bogner shiva and ac30.

Do you think that some of the distortion I am hearing could be a result of the IR that is being utilized? For example, a speaker that is designed to break up early? At this point, I haven't experimented too much with a vast array of different IRs.

No as IR's do not have non-linear qualities (i.e. they don't cause distortion/compression, merely freq filtering).

cpiquette":3dpji1d8 said:
Do you think that some of the distortion I am hearing could be a result of the IR that is being utilized? For example, a speaker that is designed to break up early? At this point, I haven't experimented too much with a vast array of different IRs.

cpiquette with a sample we will get a better idea about what you are actually hearing.

You can push your amp of course, that what the Torpedo are for, but most amp tend to distort significantly past a certain volume (all amps are very different in that aspect), and sometimes you simply never noticed that effect on clean tones, simply because the acoustic pressure in the room when you play on an actual cabinet is too high.

But if you hear a fuzzy sound, well, that's too much in my opinion to be that kind of effect. Thus, the sample. ;)

So I'm not entirely sure of what happened, but the distortion I was experiencing has subsided. I decided to ditch the redwirez cabs in favor of the two notes. I bought the Bogner Goldfinger 2X12 last night, and so far couldn't be happier. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

cpiquette":2tfgiiqu said:
So I'm not entirely sure of what happened, but the distortion I was experiencing has subsided. I decided to ditch the redwirez cabs in favor of the two notes. I bought the Bogner Goldfinger 2X12 last night, and so far couldn't be happier. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Did you use the RedWirez mixIR2 software with the redwirez IR? If so you should lower the red WET knob so the IR doesn't clip and distort. The virtual leds should not go too much in the red.

When only using the Live maybe you should also lower the input gain or something in that order?

jRCZ6EQ.jpg

Nothing like a divine intervention!! :rock:

guillaume_pille":17odh4m1 said:

Nothing like a divine intervention!! :rock:
Indeed sir! Thanks for your time in helping me out.

What would you suggest for an over abundance of low end on a single coil neck pickup? I've messed with mic types and positions as well as eq changes and I can't get anything useable out of my amp on the neck pickup of my strat. My bridge and middle sounds great tho. I've gone so far as to dime the treble and presense controls on my amp but nothing seems to fix the muddiness. I'll try to get a clip over the weekend in between gigs. Tonight is going to be the first attempt to use this thing live.

With single coils in particular, setting the neck pickup to the proper height will also improve the tuning as a bonus.

I will give that a try and see what happens. I find it reay interesting how much things sound a bit different with the torpedo. It really comes down to a key point you had made earlier in this thread about hearing things that in the room, doesn't come thru. The fx from my strymon möbius sound different. I truthfully feel more confident tweaking them now that the sound is consistent from room to room. In some places, I had an overwhelming chorus sound, and in the next room I would barely be able to hear it. Funny how all of that plays out.

So I did the first gig with the torpedo and it was killer! Using the bogner Goldfinger cab from the two notes store worked really well with my shiva. I feel really good about this unit now. Tonight, a lot was proven.

Back