Captor X with 16 Ohm cab

clark81

I just got my first run Captor X and it is a great product, really enjoying the different options.
Just a quick question to Guillame:

When connecting to a 16 Ohm cab without using the attenuator, the chain should go like this and correct me if i am wrong
amp --> 16 ohm out --> Captor X -- 16 Ohm cab

When using the attenuator either mid or low setting
amp --> 8 ohm out --> Captor X -- 16 Ohm cab

Am I correct? I just don't want to fry anything at the moment....

And another question... as i am really excited with the reactive load quality that captor x offers:

How different is the load between captor x and Torpedo Live? If we keep keep out of the equation the different connection possibilities? if i try the same amp with the same virtual cabs will i have the same results?

Thanks in advance and congrats for the awesome product!

:rock:

Jason Wilding":2u6skrmc said:

Hi Jason,

can you or anyone else elaborate on this a little?

The manual says: "FULL: the attenuator is bypassed. The full power delivered by the amp is passed on to the
cabinet. Also, the impedance seen by the amp is the cabinet’s. If you are using a 16 ohm
cabinet, you will have an impedance mismatch. All the guidelines on impedance mismatch here."

Why is this considered an impedance mismatch if i connect the captor to my 16 ohm speaker output on the amp?

"Also, the impedance seen by the amp is the cabinet’s.", in this case, amp (16 ohm speaker output) sees 16 ohm cabinet, not a mismatch in my book?!

And further on the top:
"for example if you have a 8 ohms speaker or loadbox and an amp with only a 16 ohms output", clearly not what the thread starter suggested (16 ohm cab on 16 ohm output).

Which leads to my own question:
If i connect a cheap 16 ohm load that itself doesn't require a speaker to the speaker out of the torpedo captor x,
with the captor x on FULL,
according to the manual the amp sees the 16 ohm from the additional load box,
and i'd be able (in theory) to silent record an 16 ohm amp with the old torpedo captor x?

Kind regards,
Torsten

Why is this considered an impedance mismatch if i connect the captor to my 16 ohm speaker output on the amp?
The article quoted by Jason, is done with the Captor X 8 Ohms in mind. So the speaker output used from the amp is the 8 ohms output. When combined with a 16 ohms cabinet you end up with an impedance mismatch (as explained later in the article).

If i connect a cheap 16 ohm load that itself doesn't require a speaker to the speaker out of the torpedo captor x,
with the captor x on FULL,
according to the manual the amp sees the 16 ohm from the additional load box,
and i'd be able (in theory) to silent record an 16 ohm amp with the old torpedo captor x?

Indeed a setup that connects a 16 ohms load box to the Speaker Out of the Captor X 8 ohms, with the Volume Level on FULL will give your setup a 16 ohms impedance load to your amp.

Hi everyone , this is my 1st post here.
I recently bought the Captor X 16ohm version and very happy with it.
I am thinking of buying a 2nd amp but it is 8ohm , can i run it safely to my 16ohm Captor X ?
Thanks very much in advance

Hello @Piloti
Yes you can run your 8 ohms amp into the Captor X 16 ohms. You will have to take some precautions.

The speaker output of a tube amp is designed to be matched to one (or several) specific load(s). A 8 ohms speaker output is supposed to be connected to a 8 ohms speaker or loadbox. In some situations however, you may not be able to match the impedance of the load to the impedance of the speaker output, like in your case with an 8 ohms amp and a 16 Ohms Captor X. Connecting the two leads to an impedance mismatch.

This mismatch may or may not be a problem, it actually heavily depends on the amp's design, and the way you use it. It is generally accepted that a small mismatch is not a problem, if you play the amp at low level, but this isn't a general rule. As a result, we can't garantee that a mistmatch will always work for you. It's always best to go for the right impedance if possible.

That being said, we recommand the following:
- Only go for small mismatches: 2 vs 4, 4 vs 8, 8 vs 16. But not 2 vs 8 or 16, 4 vs 16.
- Play your amp at low level, at least at first. Monitor the behavior of the amp, the tone coming out of it, the color of the output tubes. If anything seems wrong, stop playing. In short, follow even more carefully the Recommendation on the proper use of a loadbox with a tube amplifier you'll find in the user manual of your Torpedo product.

Hello @Piloti
Yes you can run your 8 ohms amp into the Captor X 16 ohms. You will have to take some precautions.

The speaker output of a tube amp is designed to be matched to one (or several) specific load(s). A 8 ohms speaker output is supposed to be connected to a 8 ohms speaker or loadbox. In some situations however, you may not be able to match the impedance of the load to the impedance of the speaker output, like in your case with an 8 ohms amp and a 16 Ohms Captor X. Connecting the two leads to an impedance mismatch.

This mismatch may or may not be a problem, it actually heavily depends on the amp's design, and the way you use it. It is generally accepted that a small mismatch is not a problem, if you play the amp at low level, but this isn't a general rule. As a result, we can't garantee that a mistmatch will always work for you. It's always best to go for the right impedance if possible.

That being said, we recommand the following:
- Only go for small mismatches: 2 vs 4, 4 vs 8, 8 vs 16. But not 2 vs 8 or 16, 4 vs 16.
- Play your amp at low level, at least at first. Monitor the behavior of the amp, the tone coming out of it, the color of the output tubes. If anything seems wrong, stop playing. In short, follow even more carefully the Recommendation on the proper use of a loadbox with a tube amplifier you'll find in the user manual of your Torpedo product.

Thank you for the reply
Much appreciated

Hi guys, sorry for hijacking this thread. I have a Peavey 6505 MH coming my way. I would love to try it with a cabinet some time down the future if i have enough space in my bedroom but at current, I would to have the mini head set up with a loadbox and soft/hardware IR loader. I'm looking at Two Notes Torpedo Captor given it seems to be one of the cheaper option. Noticed that it comes with the 8ohm and 16ohm models. Im totally new into this loadbox concept. Would like to seek your advice which one I should be getting for the 6505 MH which comes with Impedance switch for 16 or 8ohm cabinets.

So I've asked this question on the help desk but just can't seem to get a straight simple answer
I have an 8 ohm Captor X , I use it all the time with my 8ohm cab so I can run FOH and use my cab at the same time.
I do not use the attenuator ....ever
I just picked up a 16 ohm 4X12 cab. Is it safe to use the IR capabilities to FOH with a 16 ohm cab.
I don't need an Ohm mismatch lecture , I understand ohms, what I need to know is how this unit works if I bypass the attenuation and just use the cabinet modeling?
thanks, I have a gig this coming Friday I need to know which cab I can use safely with this thing and still go FOH

Back