Captor X with 16 Ohm cab

clark81

I just got my first run Captor X and it is a great product, really enjoying the different options.
Just a quick question to Guillame:

When connecting to a 16 Ohm cab without using the attenuator, the chain should go like this and correct me if i am wrong
amp --> 16 ohm out --> Captor X -- 16 Ohm cab

When using the attenuator either mid or low setting
amp --> 8 ohm out --> Captor X -- 16 Ohm cab

Am I correct? I just don't want to fry anything at the moment....

And another question... as i am really excited with the reactive load quality that captor x offers:

How different is the load between captor x and Torpedo Live? If we keep keep out of the equation the different connection possibilities? if i try the same amp with the same virtual cabs will i have the same results?

Thanks in advance and congrats for the awesome product!

:rock:

Toerti

Jason Wilding":2u6skrmc said:
Hi Jason,

can you or anyone else elaborate on this a little?

The manual says: "FULL: the attenuator is bypassed. The full power delivered by the amp is passed on to the
cabinet. Also, the impedance seen by the amp is the cabinet’s. If you are using a 16 ohm
cabinet, you will have an impedance mismatch. All the guidelines on impedance mismatch here."

Why is this considered an impedance mismatch if i connect the captor to my 16 ohm speaker output on the amp?

"Also, the impedance seen by the amp is the cabinet’s.", in this case, amp (16 ohm speaker output) sees 16 ohm cabinet, not a mismatch in my book?!

And further on the top:
"for example if you have a 8 ohms speaker or loadbox and an amp with only a 16 ohms output", clearly not what the thread starter suggested (16 ohm cab on 16 ohm output).

Which leads to my own question:
If i connect a cheap 16 ohm load that itself doesn't require a speaker to the speaker out of the torpedo captor x,
with the captor x on FULL,
according to the manual the amp sees the 16 ohm from the additional load box,
and i'd be able (in theory) to silent record an 16 ohm amp with the old torpedo captor x?

Kind regards,
Torsten

dilhoo

Why is this considered an impedance mismatch if i connect the captor to my 16 ohm speaker output on the amp?
The article quoted by Jason, is done with the Captor X 8 Ohms in mind. So the speaker output used from the amp is the 8 ohms output. When combined with a 16 ohms cabinet you end up with an impedance mismatch (as explained later in the article).

If i connect a cheap 16 ohm load that itself doesn't require a speaker to the speaker out of the torpedo captor x,
with the captor x on FULL,
according to the manual the amp sees the 16 ohm from the additional load box,
and i'd be able (in theory) to silent record an 16 ohm amp with the old torpedo captor x?
Indeed a setup that connects a 16 ohms load box to the Speaker Out of the Captor X 8 ohms, with the Volume Level on FULL will give your setup a 16 ohms impedance load to your amp.