Ceriatone Chupacabra effects loop/tone changes?

FourT6and2":xzjnt8m7 said:
Right, this is an insert loop. You can't have something plugged into only one jack and expect it to work properly.

Yes, I know that. But that's not what that video is demonstrating. I'm showing the sound difference between something plugged into the loop vs not.

I was just saying that the sound difference happens as soon as the cable is plugged into the send jack. It's the same when I have both send and return plugged in. Unplugged from both jacks sounds fine.

ledvedder":1tx65jbg said:
FourT6and2":1tx65jbg said:
Right, this is an insert loop. You can't have something plugged into only one jack and expect it to work properly.

Yes, I know that. But that's not what that video is demonstrating. I'm showing the sound difference between something plugged into the loop vs not.

I was just saying that the sound difference happens as soon as the cable is plugged into the send jack. It's the same when I have both send and return plugged in. Unplugged from both jacks sounds fine.
So, to rule out any issues with the jacks, run a patch cable from the send to the return. I dont suspect this is the issue though as I have had similar experiences with interrupt loops

scottosan":3vnz0ylx said:
ledvedder":3vnz0ylx said:
FourT6and2":3vnz0ylx said:

So, to rule out any issues with the jacks, run a patch cable from the send to the return. I dont suspect this is the issue though as I have had similar experiences with interrupt loops

I did try that late last night with a small patch cable. It sounded fine.

I had this problem with an amp. A buffer as the first unit in the loop solved it. I used a Radial PB1 as a buffer, just never kicked the boost switch on. Although, you could use it as a volume bump for solos. Bonus! The buffer portion of it is always on though, regardless of whether the boost switch is kicked on.

Looks like the Radial SB-15 has the same buffer circuitry without otherwise being a volume boost pedal. Tried other buffers, but the Radial worked the best for the effects loop issue. So I would give the Radial SB-15 a hard look if trying to solve this problem with a dedicated buffer, without going inside the amp.

guitarobert":3hmuv8a2 said:
I had this problem with an amp. A buffer as the first unit in the loop solved it. I used a Radial PB1 as a buffer, just never kicked the boost switch on. Although, you could use it as a volume bump for solos. Bonus! The buffer portion of it is always on though, regardless of whether the boost switch is kicked on.

Looks like the Radial SB-15 has the same buffer circuitry without otherwise being a volume boost pedal. Tried other buffers, but the Radial worked the best for the effects loop issue. So I would give the Radial SB-15 a hard look if trying to solve this problem with a dedicated buffer, without going inside the amp.

I've considered something like this. Or just getting a new delay, eq, or boost pedal (one with a great buffer) to replace the ones I'd currently like to use in the loop of the Chupa. But, I figured, if I'm going to put out the money for a new pedal to replace and effect I already have, and have been happy with when using them in my Marshall DSL's effects loop, why not just put out that money and make the Chupacabra's effects loop usable with my existing pedals? I don't know, I'm always 2nd guessing my decisions with these sort of things.

fusedbrain":39jllwal said:
ledvedder":39jllwal said:
Sounds great!

I wonder if they could make a board where the jacks are 1" apart, instead of 1 1/2"?

I wonder if Nik can drill his chassis' with the damn send and return holes 1 & 1/2" apart :LOL: :LOL:

I don't think the Metro guys are gonna re-work the PCB for ya. You might get one with no soldered jacks, but that's probably about it. If the Ceriatone buffered FX board is any good, that would be the easiest solution.
I'm going to try and get my Ceriatone build done in the next day or 2, so I can test out their buffered loop add-on board and I'll let you know how it goes. This last week has been crazy busy....

Have you had a chance to test the Ceriatone buffered loop yet?

I ordered a Metro loop this morning, so we shall see how it goes. I asked if they could ship it with the jacks disconnected from the board.

I wonder if it would fit using existing holes if you used one of the speaker outs? What is the spacing between the speaker jack and the nearest loop jack?

scottosan":1fmbs5vk said:
I wonder if it would fit using existing holes if you used one of the speaker outs? What is the spacing between the speaker jack and the nearest loop jack?

1 1/4".

Just desolder the jacks from the Metro board, install the board on standoffs, and run flying leads to the jacks. Easy. Just need to drill an extra hole or two for the board standoffs. Or use existing holes at tube sockets or the main board. Plenty of room to the mount the board in there as well, before V1. Make sure to use shielded coax from jacks to board and from board to the rest of the amp.

CrazyNutz":3hw0t3tq said:
ledvedder":3hw0t3tq said:
That's good to know. Is the return pot easy to add?

the return pot is a 1Meg. The out pad on the loop goes to the right lug of the return pot (if looking at the back of the pot) the left lug grounds to the chassis (or preamp ground bus, i find the chassis works fine) the center lug is your new output from the loop that will go to the input of the PI

This is how you would hook up, the bypass switch, and return pot
tQP1Tk.jpg

Would I just get a basic 1 meg linear CTS pot? Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Linear-Taper-Knu ... +1+meg+pot

The one question I have at this point is this. Will the overall volume of the amp affect how loud the pedals in the loop are? Meaning, as I turn up the master volume on the amp, will the pedal levels also increase?

ledvedder":34spf7k1 said:
The one question I have at this point is this. Will the overall volume of the amp affect how loud the pedals in the loop are? Meaning, as I turn up the master volume on the amp, will the pedal levels also increase?

The signal hitting the pedal will definitely increase as you turn up the master

Zachman":1rtf1v4p said:
ledvedder":1rtf1v4p said:

Well that sucks. My DSL doesn't do that. Is there any way around this?

ledvedder":3grq1xte said:
Zachman":3grq1xte said:
ledvedder":3grq1xte said:

i suggest trying it before you begin worrying about tweaking it. It will behave like most other buffered loops. The behavior and tone of your pedals likely will not deviate depending on volume. Unless you are are playing at extreme levels, I suspect you will be happy with the loop

scottosan":3b184ex7 said:
ledvedder":3b184ex7 said:
Zachman":3b184ex7 said:
ledvedder":3b184ex7 said:

i suggest trying it before you begin worrying about tweaking it. It will behave like most other buffered loops. The behavior and tone of your pedals likely will not deviate depending on volume. Unless you are are playing at extreme levels, I suspect you will be happy with the loop

I noticed that certain pedals like EHX Memory man delay pedals do tend to clip rather easily, and as they were never designed to be used w/ a line level signal capacity, many have underwhelming results by routing their gear as such, in a loop.

Back