Steve Brown Sound SBS

How is it? Looks pretty sweet

Waiting for Brents overall review, but I have to say stripping one down and replacing the FR seems cool as a project. The biggest question in my mind is where would I be after doing that as opposed to a San Dimas import used or something similar. Awaiting Sir Brents review.
@japetus
Needed a little tuning adjustment to Eb, lowered the action 1/4 turn and the 3rd fret A string buzzed. Adjusted neck with a slight bow and now it’s good to go. Sounds great.

For 14k-15k bridge pickup it sounds more like a hot PAF, similar to a suhr SSV output but warmer. It’s a great sounding pickup.

The FR isn’t too bad at all. It’s similar to a special I guess, the fine turners are gritty. I play the intro to VH judgment day which is hell on a whammy and it stays in tune perfectly.

Frets are smooth, no jagged edges. My opinion is maybe the 3rd fret is a tad high since it did buzz only there and only on the A string. Neck is symmetrical and not warped, it came out of the box straight.

Neck is beautiful looking and feels great, chunky but not too chunky. Its measures .843 at the first fret which is similar to a couple of my Suhr Classic S guitars but not as round or thick as a 59 roundback.

Tuners seem solid, a bit stiff feeling but they do the job.

Volume knob is tad gritty sounding mechanically but smooth feeling overall, works well in doing volume swells aka VH Somebody Get Me A Doctor. Tone knob is very smooth feeling and pull up split works great. 3 way blade is smooth and works as should, no popping. Treble bleed is very noticeable. Not sure what values they are using but it’s more drastic than what suhr uses. Sounds great.

Shipped in a typical triangle box, surrounded by bubble wrap. A few marks on the top of the headstock but it’s a relic guitar :)

Overall I’m shocked. I have 9 Suhrs, a Collectors Choice Nicky LP, Fender custom shop, friedman Cali and some Charvels. This thing is great. I doubt anyone would not be pleased with it. Especially for the price.

Last edited:
Here is a quick review of this new SBS guitar. First off, after a string change, quick fret polish, neck adjustment and bridge height adjustment, this is a killer guitar for the price! I wasn't a fan of the strings that came with the guitar so I had to get rid of them. Also, the neck felt wet... it's weird. I don't know why, but it felt like there was a funky film on it. No idea. I hit it with some 0000 steel wool and it smoothed it right out.

Here are some pics and a quick clip. I might need to raise the pickups a bit and mess with the action as the guitar was fighting me a little in this clip. Please disregard the pajama pants and sloppy playing.

Fun guitar for sure!!!

S5qUzqz.jpg

odg3KIP.jpg

Clip:

I'm not in the market, but man, this looks like a metric ton of guitar for the money. My first guitar was a cheapo Hondo Strat for $160 in 1984. In 2023 dollars, that's probably what these SBS's cost, but in 1984 you'd have to have sprung for a Kramer Pacer to get close to this much guitar.

I'm not in the market, but man, this looks like a metric ton of guitar for the money. My first guitar was a cheapo Hondo Strat for $160 in 1984. In 2023 dollars, that's probably what these SBS's cost, but in 1984 you'd have to have sprung for a Kramer Pacer to get close to this much guitar.
Mine was a Peavey Predator SSS in 1992 with a Peavey Rage 1X8 combo. If I had this guitar at that age (15yrs old) I would had died.

Made in China?
It’s doesn’t say anywhere on the guitar where it’s made but that would be my guess just solely based on the price but quality seems to be on par with MIM guitars maybe even a notch better.

Last edited:
I'm tempted by the purple offset, but just ordered another Jackson Rhoads; costs more but I dig Jackson Rhoads and I know what to expect.

FYI, bridge measures at 14.38k and neck 12.24k.

Like @mystixboi mentioned, these strings went to trash really quick. Put on a fresh set of Elixir Optiweb 9-42 tuned to Eb and it feels like home. Also changed out the 3 el-cheapo weak trem springs for two springs that I had left over from a suhr. Blocked the bridge from going up too.

Last edited:
How much better is it than a Kramer Baretta Special for $179.00 ?
I would make a case comparing it to the Kramer Pacer Classic in terms of exact same price and extremely similar features/specs.

The Beretta Special is awesome for the price, but it's apples and oranges to the SBS in my opinion.

Back