What's the going rate for IIC+'s?

Not sure what the rates are but thank God I had Mike go over my iic+ and red stripe coli over the last few yrs..

My main concern is going forward what happens when Mike B. retires? In my view, the amps he's done in the last 10 years or so I will up-value and all else to me the value will go down because he's no longer available to service them. Especially original stock ones, because they are for sure past due for service.

This is something that has me thinking this year has got to be the year to grab one. I've got a custom JP2C being built right now, but I still yearn for the original. With Gibson partnering/absorbing Mesa, who knows how long Mike B. will stick around. I do not want to pay $6k+ for these a couple years from now. No interest in KRG's unless one falls in my lap. Got some guitars I need to dump and I think I'm going to post up in the marketplace to jump on a IIC+ soon.

Before all the weirdness this year driving prices up here's what I got for some of them in the last few years. All heads, all serviced / modded by Mike B.

Factory DRG++ $4000
Upgrade HRG++ $3600
Factory DR+ $3200
Factory SR+ $2600

..And at the moment I have a HR ++ listed here for $3600 or something like that. Prices are up this year maybe $300-500?.

I could see going up to $5K for an upgraded KRG and $6K for a factory one. Depending on my next paragraph..

My main concern is going forward what happens when Mike B. retires? In my view, the amps he's done in the last 10 years or so I will up-value and all else to me the value will go down because he's no longer available to service them. Especially original stock ones, because they are for sure past due for service.
One thing I would add is, if/when Mike is done it's not that difficult to get these amps serviced. It's just caps that need replacing over time, nothing else other than a pot or two and these can be taken care of by most competent techs.

What IS going to be impossible to replicate are the ++ upgrades and other mods Mike is able to do. Mesa I'm sure would have someone else take the orders and perform the service but the Mike B serviced amps will be sought after more than the non Mike B serviced amps.

This is something that has me thinking this year has got to be the year to grab one. I've got a custom JP2C being built right now, but I still yearn for the original. With Gibson partnering/absorbing Mesa, who knows how long Mike B. will stick around. I do not want to pay $6k+ for these a couple years from now. No interest in KRG's unless one falls in my lap. Got some guitars I need to dump and I think I'm going to post up in the marketplace to jump on a IIC+ soon.
The least expensive should be a 60w SRG....my first C+ was a SRG 2C that was flat out incredible as a 2C; it had the best raw open tone of ANY amp I've ever owned. Not just Mesa...ANY amp period.
Don't be hesitant to grab a 60...that amp to this day was easily the best of the 4 (SRG, HRG, HRG++, KRG) I've owned. The KRG is a monster and when I turn it up it's incredible, like a tone filled carnival ride...but that first one was special. Most guys that have owned a few of these, that have owned a 60 agree that they may have the best overall tone of any C+ itineration.

I have one, posted a clip a while back. Non reverb model and yes you are correct. It flat out crushes as stated. I see no reason to sell any 2C+/++
Anything Bendinellized goes nowhere.

Well for IIB KRG with the limit board- you have one, I have one, Racer has one, and I have spoken to one other guy with one. So that's half of them ;) More rare than a C+ Coli, and a more crushing rhythm tone!!
These late 2B Coliseums, you can tell they are transitional in that they differ in tone HUGELY from the previous 2 I owned before...the other two were serials in the 90s, and 180 if I remember correctly. They were very vintage sounding with a very loose low end. My present one, before Mike swapped preamp boards for me and made it into a C+, was almost like a Mk III in that it was tight with more gain than either of the two previous earlier serials.

These late 2B Coliseums, you can tell they are transitional in that they differ in tone HUGELY from the previous 2 I owned before...the other two were serials in the 90s, and 180 if I remember correctly. They were very vintage sounding with a very loose low end. My present one, before Mike swapped preamp boards for me and made it into a C+, was almost like a Mk III in that it was tight with more gain than either of the two previous earlier serials.
1000%!... mine, which has not been loop-modded is just a beast. Tight, aggressive lead channel, while maintaining great cleans, with headroom galore. My RP9A IIB+ HRG doesn’t come close to holding together like the KRG. Next to the C++ KRG in + mode, the IIB needs just a little tweaking to get real close.

If I had to guess, the JP2C will be discontinued in the next 5 years and will hold its retail value of $2750 indefinitely, especially the "pre-Gibson" builds. At this point I consider myself too late to the party to snag an original, but enjoy drooling over all of your collections. I will say I'm consistently impressed by the JP and for the $1800 I paid for it, I consider it a steal in it's own right.

I've got high expectations for Gibson to carry the torch. Hard to say if they would revisit a IIC+ reissue since the JP2C is exactly that plus some bells and whistles....but I could also see them doing a limited edition run once they get comfortable, and charging $6k.

This is a guess but I'm guessing Mike's work order list is now the biggest ever. Would you agree? With a ton of folks wanting to get their amps updated/upgraded/serviced now while we are still in pre pre Gibson era. I mean, before he retires and people sit on their amps a bit to see how high they will go?

Mike B was swamped all 2020. I know I added to that having sent 6 in this past year.... The number of times I spoke with him, he was in disbelief at all the service coming in, like never before! In spite of it all, he continued his usual stellar work. He’s a class-act and a hoot! I imagine he deserves a break, but will he get or be able to take one?...

Right. But what will 2021 be like for him? Just saying the demand will be going up not down. He needs a whole team :yes:

I was thinking of sending my Rectoverb in but not for anything major. I'm sure for what I want your standard tech can handle. Wouldn't be worth the wait otherwise.

PRE Gibson Mesa's get an immediate $500 boost in value.

If I had to guess, the JP2C will be discontinued in the next 5 years and will hold its retail value of $2750 indefinitely, especially the "pre-Gibson" builds. At this point I consider myself too late to the party to snag an original, but enjoy drooling over all of your collections. I will say I'm consistently impressed by the JP and for the $1800 I paid for it, I consider it a steal in it's own right.

I've got high expectations for Gibson to carry the torch. Hard to say if they would revisit a IIC+ reissue since the JP2C is exactly that plus some bells and whistles....but I could also see them doing a limited edition run once they get comfortable, and charging $6k.

I've got a JP2C being built right now, should be done any day now. Do I consider this Pre-Gibson.. or Transitional or what? :ROFLMAO: I guess I'll consider it Pre-Gibson since the order was placed before the buy in.

I've got a JP2C being built right now, should be done any day now. Do I consider this Pre-Gibson.. or Transitional or what? :ROFLMAO: I guess I'll consider it Pre-Gibson since the order was placed before the buy in.
Nice, I've considered selling mine and seeking out one of the early limited edition heads...just to have...it's that good! Post pics when you get yours!

Back