What's the going rate for IIC+'s?

vultures

I think this year might be the year I finally grab one of these. They seem to be getting harder to find on reverb/ebay/FB groups. Reverb's inconsistent and all over the place with pricing and versions.

What is the going rate of a Mark IIC+ with a Graphic EQ (SRG/HRG/DRG)? If you had one, what would you expect to get for one? What would be a killer deal on one that you'd buy instantly?

I have one I’ll probably sell in the coming year. Factory DRG. I have both the rack mount and a new boogie head shell. I’ve been trying to assess price too. I’ll likely throw the whole package on reverb for $5k and let it sit for a while and see what happens. Probably wouldn’t let it go for less than $4k.

They're tough as ever to find right now and expect to pay for it. I would say 4k and up for one that's loaded and in good shape.

I think this year might be the year I finally grab one of these. They seem to be getting harder to find on reverb/ebay/FB groups. Reverb's inconsistent and all over the place with pricing and versions.

What is the going rate of a Mark IIC+ with a Graphic EQ (SRG/HRG/DRG)? If you had one, what would you expect to get for one? What would be a killer deal on one that you'd buy instantly?
You gotta find one first....

I’ve got a buddy out here that has around 15 of them, and 7 or 8 Mark III’s. It’s like a fuckin Mesa museum. :shocked:

Before all the weirdness this year driving prices up here's what I got for some of them in the last few years. All heads, all serviced / modded by Mike B.

Factory DRG++ $4000
Upgrade HRG++ $3600
Factory DR+ $3200
Factory SR+ $2600

..And at the moment I have a HR ++ listed here for $3600 or something like that. Prices are up this year maybe $300-500?.

I could see going up to $5K for an upgraded KRG and $6K for a factory one. Depending on my next paragraph..

My main concern is going forward what happens when Mike B. retires? In my view, the amps he's done in the last 10 years or so I will up-value and all else to me the value will go down because he's no longer available to service them. Especially original stock ones, because they are for sure past due for service.

Last KRG C+ that sold on eBay, summer of 2019 was 6700 + 400 shipping. This was before the prices went up for everything. They are obviously the most valuable, without question...85 total between 2C and 2C+...far and away the most rare. There was a Factory 2C++ that sold for 15K 3 yrs ago. I'm sure there are the occasional C+ that go for a reasonable price but those you won't see on Ebay or Reverb..

What I've seen differ a little from Jeremy....
SRG 3K
HRG 4K
DRG 5K
I don't count the non EQ since they just aren't that desirable to most guys who seek out a C+. I know the Mesa collectors value them for the fast response etc but the GEQ is a must have for most guys.

No joke, that was my favorite amp. It should have the 100 transformer. I never cared for the 105... it was too smooth.

Yep. That’s the one. It’s one badass mofo. :yes: :yes:
I’ve got 2 other factory HRG++‘s and this one sounds better. I have to go through all of them side by side to see what the secret sauce is in it. It really kills. I actually like the 100PT and the HRGs over the DRGs with the 105PT for metal.

Actually, I bet my buddy's SOB Coli is the most rare ;)

I like to sell amps almost as much as I like to buy them so I look at pricing from a "what price is market fair so odds are I won't lose money when I sell it" perspective. Of course there are always a couple guys out there who have more money and emotional attachment than brains & are willing to pay some premium price, but that doesn't define the market. Just one guy's perspective.

My factory DGX loaded with STR415 is indeed a beast. Yes, it has the X101, its early and transformer is hardwired internally. Reverb not needed?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191202-222851_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191202-222851_Chrome.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Yep. That’s the one. It’s one badass mofo. :yes: :yes:
I’ve got 2 other factory HRG++‘s and this one sounds better. I have to go through all of them side by side to see what the secret sauce is in it. It really kills. I actually like the 100PT and the HRGs over the DRGs with the 105PT for metal.
And another example of the 'original factory' C+ not measuring up to the lowly 'upgrade'. Lol.
As Mike B would say, they are all C+ no matter when it was 'upgraded'...back in the 80s or more recently. Same circuit. My upgraded SRG absolutely destroyed a factory HRG. No contest.

I like to sell amps almost as much as I like to buy them so I look at pricing from a "what price is market fair so odds are I won't lose money when I sell it" perspective. Of course there are always a couple guys out there who have more money and emotional attachment than brains & are willing to pay some premium price, but that doesn't define the market. Just one guy's perspective.
I meant rarest of the C+s...SOBs don't qualify. Lol

My factory DGX loaded with STR415 is indeed a beast. Yes, it has the X101, its early and hardwired internally. Reverb not needed?
Man, I'd love to hear that thing. 415s (or any Sylvania 6L6GC that fits within the bias range) are a must for these amps IMO.

We all would like the prices to go back to where they were...but unless you're getting a 'bro' deal it ain't happening. At least not yet anyway. With Mesa now controlled by Gibson, and Mike B ain't getting any younger they may not come back down at all.....in fact these amps may soar into Dumble territory. Who knows.

SOB KRG is THE unicorn, C+ (or ++) KRG, yes, very rare, IIB KRG w/Limit - only 7-8 made. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad...and all but 1 have visited Mike B in the past year.

My intel, depending on chassis, cab, tubes, service status:

SRG: $2.5-4K
HRG: $3-4K
DRG: $4.5-6K
KRG $5-6.5K
KDRG $6K+

38D3C89F-7E97-49EB-A7EB-33595A090B73.jpeg

Last edited:
Back