Cranked amps sound bad

It very much depends on the particular amp (for some amps it can be a lot higher on the volume when that mushiness starts to kick in) and what kinda sound you’re going for. For metal I would agree in general

My Hiwatt though seems to never get mushy or over-compressed no matter how high the volume is, but that thing is even more open than my Wizard. For some bluesy or classic rock type NMV amps like my Jim Kelley and Gjika the magic doesn’t start until at least 2 o’ clock. My ccv also seems to maintain a very robust sound no matter how high I’d have it’s volume, so there are some exceptions

The only amps I’ve owned that don’t oversaturate past noon are the Wizard MC1 and SLO. It’s like they have many sweet spots. The Triple Rec has a narrow window between 9-11am. MyTremolo, the treble channel gets to noon and regular can get to about 3pm

You spelled “high gain amps sound bad cranked” wrong...

and yea, they do. I’ve never needed a high gain amp like a 5150 past about 10oclock MAX on the volume... the power amp distorts and does exactly what you just described: loss of low end/mushy, rolled off highs, pronounced mids and compression.. the exact opposite of what you want in a high gain head... low gain/master volume vintage style amps, well that’s a different story... usually.

This is why I have also always laughed over the years at these people that want to “bias mod” their 5150s to run hotter... I can’t think of anything more stupid. That amps power section is biased cold for a REASON: to keep the amp from falling apart at higher volumes. It’s also why I generally bias my amps colder, like my diezels and recto: tubes last longer, they are tighter, better highs etc. “but crossover distortion and blah blah blah”... I don’t care, at all. Use your ears, they sound better this way :)

There is a guy,

Euge Valovirta,​

that posts vids that I love for some reason. Just his approach and passion for amps that I like to hear. Recently has become more of a marketer but his vids are still entertaining to me.

He has a quirky way of dialing in an amp but the master volume is always in his consideration. One of my favorites is when he dials in 3 different JCM 800's. His early 80's main 800, another 800, and a ZW 800. The main amps master is much lower than the others for his taste.

I guess in short my opinion is very amp dependant.

A lot of what you're hearing mush out is the speakers distorting. Plug any amp into 2 or 4 4x12 and you can turn it up a lot louder than.you can with a single 4x12
This is interesting. I tend to agree with the OP. Every amp I have had has sound better before power amp saturation. I think people that like it more maybe don't want the tight metal sound. But if it is the speakers, this could be easily tested when i pull the remaining 30s and switch to full k100s. I know my current amp is a Wizard w800 and around 10 oclock the power saturation is a bit much for me. One thing I mean to try is lowering the preamp gain when i get there next time. I feel like there is a balance for metal guys where you want the punch of the power section, but you don't want that out of contrjol saturation from it.

If you're in a relatively small room, a cranked amp probably won't sound very pleasant either
This also could be true. I may just reach a point past 115 decibels where my room doesn't allow for it to work. This is a good thread with food for thought. I guess the best way to test this is to make a recording of my amp at around 107 dbs. This is my usual recording spot. then do another around 115. Close mic shouldn't lie.

I can’t think of a situation where you would need to do that. Unlike non master volume amps, MV amps by design give up the goods before the sound guy calls the police, or before you kill your family.

Who puts a non master volume amp past 4 or 5?

Are you playing MSG, or do you have an ISO cab?

BTW, All Amps Matter.

Back