Say something bad about the Shure GLXD16 wireless

I've had the GLXD16 for a few days, only messed around at home with it, and loving it. I'll try it at band practice tomorrow. i was worried that going wireless would introduce some perceived latency, especially since I also have some digital effects in my effects loop, but I don't feel any difference at all. It does alter my tone from what I get using Mogami/Neutrik cables, but not necessarily in a bad way. It seems to rob a little bit of lows and possible even some low mids, and overall makes my tone a little more "refined" sounding for lack of a better descriptor. It's not bad, but different, and still retains touch-sensitivity. I'll definitely be keeping this for when gigs start back up. I was surprised how large the receiver pedal is, I'll have to squeeze it into the spot where my Turbo Tuner is now. The tuner seems accurate enough for me. I have Evertune on my two gigging guitars, so I don't really need much from a tuner. I can intonate at home on the accurate Turbo Tuner, check before soundcheck on the Shure, and not thing about tuning again until I switch guitars or get back home.

Damn it. I'd promised no more buying shit.

So when you all say "no latency" you mean like 0.00 even when playing really fast stuff?
There's no sense of dragging at all?
i guess technically all digital conversion has some latency but its nothing noticeable with the shure. ive walked all around my home playing, and the only detectable latency is from the sound waves coming back to my ears from across the house.

i guess technically all digital conversion has some latency but its nothing noticeable with the shure. ive walked all around my home playing, and the only detectable latency is from the sound waves coming back to my ears from across the house.
Yes. That latency is weird
I play in the living room sometimes, and it fucks with your playing how late the waves hit your ears

I'm talking being in a small room only a few feet from the speaker.

Yet to play a wireless that didn't have this super slight sense of drag to it.
Although I've never spent more than $150 either and the last time was
at least 3 years ago - so my experience is pretty lame.

I'm talking being in a small room only a few feet from the speaker.

Yet to play a wireless that didn't have this super slight sense of drag to it.
Although I've never spent more than $150 either and the last time was
at least 3 years ago - so my experience is pretty lame.
I never minded being tied to the amp. I was always a nazi about highest quality cables i could find to keep the tone. I went to a death metal concert. No one was tied to an amp. Then I researched for months. Couple guys here bring up a different brand one that is great also. Man. All I can tell you is there is no way in fucking hell I would go back to a cable. I was plugging into my interface before to play and then I would walk off with the guitar and drag it off the table....No. Can't go back. You try a high quality one, you won't be able to either. I would be willing to bet this is as fast or faster than a cable. Especially the longer cables.

I have one too, and I had to send it back for repairs twice; had battery issues, short circuit or something in the transmitter, which ate the battery even when not using it.
That has been fixed, but a very small, very hard to notice niggle I have, is this far away static/hiss that I hear, when playing on a really clean amp.
It seems to be more prominent with lower open strings (E and A), but it's so soft, most folks wouldn't notice it right away.
In a live situation it wouldn't really matter, unless you're more of a super clean, high end single-channel player. I only noticed it, when testing it at home.

The other guitarplayer in my band has one too, he never had these issues.

I have one too, and I had to send it back for repairs twice; had battery issues, short circuit or something in the transmitter, which ate the battery even when not using it.
That has been fixed, but a very small, very hard to notice niggle I have, is this far away static/hiss that I hear, when playing on a really clean amp.
It seems to be more prominent with lower open strings (E and A), but it's so soft, most folks wouldn't notice it right away.
In a live situation it wouldn't really matter, unless you're more of a super clean, high end single-channel player. I only noticed it, when testing it at home.

The other guitarplayer in my band has one too, he never had these issues.
That would piss me off. I never play clean, so I would never experience this. But I hate added noise. It is kinda my pet peve.

LOL

What a fucking idiot. Playing last night and needed to go grab something from the other room.
Unplug the transmitter, take off the guitar, go get the item, and then put everything back on.

doh.jpg

How about interference on stage with the band mates? Or even at home at practice with them? I've got lights and many electronics plugged in; wifi, router....would this quality share device have problems on or off the stage in busy situations?

How about interference on stage with the band mates? Or even at home at practice with them? I've got lights and many electronics plugged in; wifi, router....would this quality share device have problems on or off the stage in busy situations?
I haven’t used this live, but I do operate it around the house walking right past my wifi and phone Bluetoothed to a wireless speaker, and I have not had any issues. There are several “frequencies” that can dialed in on the unit to find one with the strongest signal and least interference. I think you’d be ok in your situation as the product design takes into account those potential hazards.

We have 3 laptops, 2 phones, and 3 TVs, with wifi flying all over in a small apt.
No issues.

Last edited:
Hmm. I think then the true test would have to be on stage; especially if other band mates are using wireless also..

Both my guitarist and I use it live, and we never had an issue. We did a bar gig with another band once, and had two of the mic versions from the other band going at the same time (for four total). If you use the frequency options right, you should be able to fix a problem even if one comes up, but it didn't even come up.

On the downside, the switch on my guitar player's wireless is starting to crap out on him. It didn't want to engage and disengage the tuner tonight at practice. We'll see if it was just an isolated incident or if he broke it.

I have EMG 81's and Fishman Fluence picks up. I get the odd crackling on them, but not on my SD Humbuckers. Any idea if there is a setting I can do to remedy?

Back