George Lynch tone?

MrFlexx

Before anyone says it's all in the fingers, I want a guideline how to set the EQ, delay, reverb on the amp and pedals and maybe in the computer too for a Lynchish sound. I know a big part is in the fingers, but saying ALL is in the fingers are pure garbage. If that would be the case, there wouldn't be a need for anything but a Cube 60 with a Boss Metal Zone. And why is every single guitarist, famous or unfamous always searching for a better tone by getting new amps, new modifications of their amps, new pedal and etc if it's ALL in the fingers???

I wrote the thing about "all in the fingers" only because asking a question like I did always ends up with 98% of the answers saying that exact thing...

Before anyone says it's all in the fingers, I want a guideline how to set the EQ, delay, reverb on the amp and pedals and maybe in the computer too for a Lynchish sound. I know a big part is in the fingers, but saying ALL is in the fingers are pure garbage. If that would be the case, there wouldn't be a need for anything but a Cube 60 with a Boss Metal Zone. And why is every single guitarist, famous or unfamous always searching for a better tone by getting new amps, new modifications of their amps, new pedal and etc if it's ALL in the fingers???

I wrote the thing about "all in the fingers" only because asking a question like I did always ends up with 98% of the answers saying that exact thing...
‘Style’ is in the fingers; Tone is mostly gear plus a little bit in the fingers. That’s my take. As far as Lynch tone, there’s so many different amps that he’s used, you may need to be album specific for us to nail it.
Tooth and Nail-Randall RG80-100es
Under Lock n Key-5 blended amps including a few Lee Jackson Marshall’s, Randall, and others I forget
Back for the Attack-I think a Caswell modded Marshall?
Wicked Sensation-SLO/boosted Plexi
Lynch Mob-SLO
After that I know he used a Rev C recto and a boosted Plexi on the next two Dokken albums.
Common theme seems to be boosted Plexi though.

Lynch doesn’t seem to be a player that has held onto a core ‘tone’ throughout his career in the way the EVH or YJM have. I loved the tones on Under Lock and Key and also loved the tones on the first 2 Lynch Mob albums - and all 3 albums sounded distinctly different. The 2nd Lynch Mob album guitar tones (to my ear) have a lot of the brightest highs rolled off - rounder, warmer high end - but still easily breaks into harmonic overtones on bent notes.

Last edited:
Not to derail the thread, but is that the #36 SIR amp? The same one Slash used on AFD?
When I think Lynch tone, I think fat, thick mids, bright top, dry-ish gain (if that makes sense). Thick rhythm tones. Kind thin (imho) bright, biting lead tone.
it’s amazing how similar he sounds from rig to rig though. That album he did with Pilson where he used an early Ubershall sounded very, very similar to his SLO tones in Wicked Sensation. Come to think of it, his Dual Rectifier tones on the mid 90’s Dokken stuff sounded very close the both the Ubershall and SLO tones.
Side note - it’s interesting to me how close to the “Lynch tone” that Norum and Billy White got on that Don Dokken album.

Listen to the Lynch isolated tracks on you tube. Not nearly as much gain as you’d think. Parametric EQ BEFORE the amp goosing 800Hz-1000Hz will get you really close. Little delay and reverb and you’re there. EDIT : SPX90 to taste also for WS most likely on the Symphonic preset and adjusted to taste.

Last edited:
‘Style’ is in the fingers; Tone is mostly gear plus a little bit in the fingers. That’s my take. As far as Lynch tone, there’s so many different amps that he’s used, you may need to be album specific for us to nail it.
Tooth and Nail-Randall RG80-100es
Under Lock n Key-5 blended amps including a few Lee Jackson Marshall’s, Randall, and others I forget
Wicked Sensation-SLO/boosted Plexi
Lynch Mob-SLO
After that I know he used a Rev C recto and a boosted Plexi on the next two Dokken albums.
Common theme seems to be boosted Plexi though.
I'm totally aware about different amp and all...the question is about the EQ, delay and such to get into the territory. I have no clue if I should up the mid or lowering it, the same with bass, treble, presence...

An old 4holer with a boost, a greeback cab and a maple body guitar....
The rest is just fingers and style of play....
I'm totally aware about his amps and all...the question is about the EQ, delay and such to get into the territory. I have no clue if I should up the mid or lowering it, the same with bass, treble, presence...

Not to derail the thread, but is that the #36 SIR amp? The same one Slash used on AFD?
When I think Lynch tone, I think fat, thick mids, bright top, dry-ish gain (if that makes sense). Thick rhythm tones. Kind thin (imho) bright, biting lead tone.
it’s amazing how similar he sounds from rig to rig though. That album he did with Pilson where he used an early Ubershall sounded very, very similar to his SLO tones in Wicked Sensation. Come to think of it, his Dual Rectifier tones on the mid 90’s Dokken stuff sounded very close the both the Ubershall and SLO tones.
Side note - it’s interesting to me how close to the “Lynch tone” that Norum and Billy White got on that Don Dokken album.
Like you stated...different players, different amps and still similar tones...and that's what I'm after...the settings of the gear to get that tone.

Listen to the Lynch isolated tracks on you tube. Not nearly as much gain as you’d think. Parametric EQ BEFORE the amp goosing 800Hz-1000Hz will get you really close. Little delay and reverb and you’re there.
I know it's not much gain and I'm using low gain myself...will try out the parametic EQ...hope someone can shed a light about the EQ on the amps in general too.

I know Lynch would 'reserve' that same amp that slash would also try and nab; so when Lynch found out that Caswell did the mod he got in touch with Caswell and had him mod a few for him. But I don't know which one (model etc) was used on which albums.

I know Lynch would 'reserve' that same amp that slash would also try and nab; so when Lynch found out that Caswell did the mod he got in touch with Caswell and had him mod a few for him. But I don't know which one (model etc) was used on which albums.
I think it was either the #36 or #39. Pretty sure it was the #36.

I know it's not much gain and I'm using low gain myself...will try out the parametic EQ...hope someone can shed a light about the EQ on the amps in general too.
I think you just turn the dials until it sounds as close as possible to you, just realize you’re not Lynch and you’ll have to settle for close enough more than likely. And that’s not a bad thing.

I think we’ve done our best to answer the OP’s question, no? Sounding like Lynch is going to be more about copping those exotic licks and flat 5 chords he does so much. Throw in that “jerk off” vibrato he uses, and you’re getting most of the way there, imho. Also, check out John Levin (is that his name), the latest guitarist in Dokken. He sounds more like old Lynch than Lynch does these days. And he’s doing a lot of it with a Marshall DSL. It’s more in the paying style and technique than the amp, imho.

Tone here sounds like goosed mids, echo/delay, and chorus, to me anyway. The main thing is that the guy is nailing Lynch’s old-school style:

Last edited:
Fingers.

But then an old 4 hole marshall style amp or a JMP / 2204 cranked and a TS boosting it.

Then back to the fingers.

Problem with George is that he's used tons of amps or various shades of the same thing so depending on the album tone you want, you can get closer by combining a few diff pieces each time. It's like 5 different chocolate chip cookie recipes. Slightly more butter here, slightly more chips there.

Good suggestions in the thread so far. If you want the 36 or 39 feel, then just get a standard 2204 and get the new legendary hotmod to add a tube stage and then use an EQ to tighten if need be. Ultimately XYZ mod is the one BUT George still would have sounded the same using whatever else he had because the songs and solos still would have been written brilliantly.

I think we’ve done our best to answer the OP’s question, no? Sounding like Lynch is going to be more about copping those exotic licks and flat 5 chords he does so much. Throw in that “jerk off” vibrato he uses, and you’re getting most of the way there, imho. Also, check out John Levin (is that his name), the latest guitarist in Dokken. He sounds more like old Lynch than Lynch does these days. And he’s doing a lot of it with a Marshall DSL. It’s more in the paying style and technique than the amp, imho.

Tone here sounds like goosed mids, echo/delay, and chorus, to me anyway. The main thing is that the guy is nailing Lynch’s old-school style:

Jon Levin is awesome and would smoke George.

Listen to the Lynch isolated tracks on you tube. Not nearly as much gain as you’d think. Parametric EQ BEFORE the amp goosing 800Hz-1000Hz will get you really close. Little delay and reverb and you’re there.
I think this is true of most albums that we love. What allows it to cut so well for the time was less gain AND the fact that they tuned to standard E or Eb vs being tuned down to D because Coverdale or other singers lost their pipes two decades ago.

Levin also boosts with a TS type. Sticks with the basics that work. Nuno also is fond of those DSL 2000's with his rat pedal I believe. Good base crunch and then they boost it to where they need it. Live, your ear won't know with the volume they are playing at.

Don is brutal though, putting me to sleep in that range. Get someone else who can sing for the love of god.. (or higher power)

Back