George Lynch tone?

Well this maple neck I got from Lynch yrs ago had a little bit to do with his tone back in the day. It came off of the Tiger guitar. He thought it had warped and maybe it did but it plays fine now. The concho strap came from George as well.

Attachments

• P1010059.JPG
    P1010059.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
one of the best bootleg recorded examples of prime live ulak years lynch tone i’ve heard

my friend was a big lynch fan and had a few of the signature esp kamakazes. those are SOOOOPER bright guitars. through his tsl it was a knife in the face. through my pedal driven peacemaker in a w/d rig, way better. he ended up with a herbert and was dialed.

my other fave tone moment of his

Love feels and blood

Well this maple neck I got from Lynch yrs ago had a little bit to do with his tone back in the day. It came off of the Tiger guitar. He thought it had warped and maybe it did but it plays fine now. The concho strap came from George as well.
Christ, that pickup looks like it came from the 1890’s. What gives?
Quite a random thread bump from the way back too.

Hey gtrwun the pickup is a Dimarzio Super D I got in 1979 or 80 when I was in High school. I colored it with a magic marker yrs ago then tried to get the color off. The body is a KNE Franky with a Callaham bridge.

Just curious but has a really great player with really great tone ever said "tone is in the fingers"? Just seems like internet wannabes that say that.
I see the exact opposite. Usually the people that say this are the people who have you tube channels, post clips, are in bands. And pros. These are the people who have owned dozens and dozens of amps and have finally realized that they sound pretty much the same through all of them.

Saw a post last week on Lynch's official page on Facebook saying that the Tiger body was made of ash, not maple in reality.

Reactions: ccn
I know I'm going to sound old but in the 80s you could sing the solos and riffs. I barely know song lyrics to this day but I can tell you that when Lynch playing "It's Not Love" and hits that high note and ends with finger tapping, it sounds amazing.

Bands don't have that anymore. I guess we were all pretty lucky as guitarists because we got a feast in the 80s. DeMartini, Lee, Lynch, etc and tons more and were all trying to blow people away with a memorable solo. Look at Steve Lynch's solo on "Turn Up the Radio" and the dudes in Night Ranger on "You Can Still Rock in America".

Saw a post last week on Lynch's official page on Facebook saying that the Tiger body was made of ash, not maple in reality.
Wow, never heard that before . Good info. Funny how he thought the basswood bodied guitar really sucked , I thought the one guitar I had that was all basswood sucked also .

I wonder if the guitars with a full maple body are Big Leaf Western Maple or Eastern Sugar Maple? There's a considerable difference between the two .

Last edited:
Hey gtrwun the pickup is a Dimarzio Super D I got in 1979 or 80 when I was in High school. I colored it with a magic marker yrs ago then tried to get the color off. The body is a KNE Franky with a Callaham bridge.
Awesome! Those old Super Distortions are great pickups.
I had an old Dean baby Z from 81 or 82 that had an SD in it and it was such a great sound.
I bet your guitar sounds great. I’d love to feel that neck.

Yes the vintage Dimarzio's are great pickups. That neck is fairly wide kind of like a classical guitar neck. Its not chunky but wide and flat and plays really well. Out of all my guitars it does sound the best.

There's a piece in Premier Guitar detailing how Dream Warriors was recording for the Back for the Attack album. According to the article, Lynch used a purple 100-watt Marshall plexi boosted with a TS-808. They also did some tricky stuff with double tracking and a few different cabs with varied mic placement.

https://www.premierguitar.com/artists/secrets-of-the-masters-dream-warriors-by-dokken
I heard they even mic'd an amp in the bathroom to get those crazy acoustics.

I don't know...

Seems to me, tone and dynamics sort of run parallel?
As in, dynamics are part of the tone chemistry.
Dynamics come from the fingers, IME.

How heavy I down pick, or how hard or soft I pull up on the strings with my middle and ring fingers.
How heavy/light is my grip on the neck?

You can have all of GL's gear and learn his parts note for note, doesn't mean you are going to sound like GL...

EDIT: Sorry I forgot you didn't want to hear it was in the fingers, lol.

I love how in the rig rundown, he has these Lee Jackson modded Marshalls yet he still uses a TS and GE-7 to boost, tighten, and shape the front end. It's like all these guys trick out their amps but end up dialing back the gain and just using boosts anyway because it is tight and punches through.

The real secret sauce to Lynch's tone is TREBLE and PRESENCE back in the day. He used to cut through with his rythms. Some how in the Lynch Mob days, he started gravitating towards " fat" and "warm". Wicked Sensation is special though but the hey day tones cut.

Back