Looking for Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup replacement

Wolfetone Monkeybucker! Been there, done that with the LP's and pickup swaps. Timbre Wolf is great but the Monkeybucker just kicks like a mule. Measures high but is surprisingly clear and tight. Like BK's but with more girth.
They don’t have that model on the website anymore.

So you used the Timbrewolf?
Is the Monkeybucker still as warm as the Timbre Wolf? I thought the TW was thick and great for chunky rhythms and leads.

I did talk to Wolfe about the Monkeybucker.
Yes I had the Timbre Wolf for awhile and went back and forth with it and the Marshallhead. The Timbre Wolf is more open than the Marshallhead. Sometimes it would sound a little thin for me in the low end. It's a great old school thrasher but didn't have enough of the fatness that I was needing. The Monkeybucker easily filled the void! It's had the better low end for percussive palm mutes and ripping highs without sounding thin. For being a hot pickup it is very articulate and clean with tons of note bloom while still having some hair. Probably because it is potted and the Timbre Wolf is not. For me and what I play the Monkeybucker is my LP pickup.

I'm kinda surprised that it is not talked about. Even Wolfe doesn't say much about it or put it out there. Wolfe told me that a few studio artist asked for something hotter and the MB was his reply. It still is low key.

My Timbrewolf was well potted.
It was fat and chunky for me, but now I want to try the monkey.
I used the TW for a modern, heavy metal band and loved it, but it's been many years since I remember.

What are the natural attributes of the guitar in question? Where does it lack? Where does it shine? Without knowing this info and what you are specifically after sonically that the guitar is not giving you I can only offer pickups I like (like everybody else here) which may or may not be a fit for your particular guitar. Example...I have Aldrich pickups in one Les Paul, they are awesome. I put Aldrich pickups in another Les Paul and they were nothing like the other guitar. Conclusion - What works in one guitar doesn't guarantee it will work in another similar guitar.

What are the natural attributes of the guitar in question? Where does it lack? Where does it shine? Without knowing this info and what you are specifically after sonically that the guitar is not giving you I can only offer pickups I like (like everybody else here) which may or may not be a fit for your particular guitar. Example...I have Aldrich pickups in one Les Paul, they are awesome. I put Aldrich pickups in another Les Paul and they were nothing like the other guitar. Conclusion - What works in one guitar doesn't guarantee it will work in another similar guitar.
Exactly.
This LP is very 3-D, rich, great high end, sweet mids but not a lot of lows. I tend to like thick, chunky low end pickups in it.

My TW was potted. I know Wolfe pretty well and had a bunch of his pickups. We even talked about it while I wound it.

Thanks guys, I want to decide between the Afwayu, Nail Bomb and Monkeybucker.

I can't recall if I had an Afwayu years ago, but I did have his old Torque model.
I've used the Timbrewolf, which makes me tempted to try the Monkeybucker.

So I'm embarrased guys.

I played a lot today and I'm loving the Aldrich now in my LP.
I am getting plenty of low end chunk, thick mids, creamy solos and brutal palm mutes.

I must have had a brain fart when I wanted to swap them :(

Now when I play my PRS SC250, I hear that edgy ceramic highs I don't like. Now I think I want a Monleybucker for the SC250 and leave the Aldrich in my LP.
The Aldrich has the thickness and warmth of the Rio BBQ, but has good clarity and is tight.

My other guitar with a ceramic is the PRS CE22 with Dragon bridge pickup. It's 19k ceramic. It's so fat, but I'd love something as fat and clear but maybe a softer feel under the fingers. Maybe a Monkey would work here too.

Hmmm...

Last edited:
Bare knuckles rule, I don’t like the Aldrich myself. Try the bare knuckle medium output offerings. The juggernaut will surprise you.

There is a guy on here who swears by tone specific pickups.

Thanks guys, I want to decide between the Afwayu, Nail Bomb and Monkeybucker.

I can't recall if I had an Afwayu years ago, but I did have his old Torque model.
I've used the Timbrewolf, which makes me tempted to try the Monkeybucker.
I've got a Blisterbucker on the way, along with an A8 mag to convert it to a Moneybucker should I choose. I didn't realise they only differ in the mag. Be fun to try both for sure.

Many great offerings but If you can get one; Haussel "Hot" is my favorite of many, and I have tried many I can not even come close to remembering

Back