Looking for Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup replacement

I kind of agree here. I have the rebel yells and I know a lot of people like these but in my les paul they are sterile. I keep trying to convince myself that these are good and I should like them but I cant get it to work.
I think many like them just because they haven’t yet tried much else with other higher end pickup brands. I don’t know of anyone who’s moved on to other stuff and then still uses or goes back to bkp. For many, including myself, they’re like a gateway or stepping stone into getting into better pickups

BKP does a great job with their branding. They have cool names, packaging, cool aesthetics, just a great vibe/presentation overall, but actually use your ears and do comparisons (sounds like you’re doing that) and you then realize they’re not actually that great sounding or feeling (dry, sterile, lacking rich tone)

Last edited:
Im not putting them down. They just dont do it for me. Throbaks are the same to me. There is a place for them and in the right guitar it works but in general, I struggle.

I kind of agree here. I have the rebel yells and I know a lot of people like these but in my les paul they are sterile. I keep trying to convince myself that these are good and I should like them but I cant get it to work.
I didn’t care for them in an LP either

I sometimes hear the Duncan Custom can be too harsh. I had one but replaced it with a Rio Grande BBQ.
In a bright guitar, in can be. They work well in warmer guitars, especially mahogany. Loved them in the LP Classic and LP Tradionals, (2), I've had, and my current ESP, which is very warm/deep low end. That's a bolt on with an alder body, and has huge bottom end.

The Alrich sounded killer in my '02 PRS Singlecut I had. That thing was 10lbs. Blew away the stock #7's, which sounded like amateur cheap pickups made overseas. Didn't get the fuss, about their USA "boutique" pickups but they moved quick for $300 on Reverb!🤣

But, the '57/08's are pretty sweet. Had those in my SC58, musical, yet could get raunchy under high gain.

Im not putting them down. They just dont do it for me. Throbaks are the same to me. There is a place for them and in the right guitar it works but in general, I struggle.
Yeah I probably would’ve liked the Throbaks I’ve had decently enough, but was spoiled by also having Tone Specific pickups at the time and it was no contest. Throbaks got blown away. I only use these days Tone Specific’s and real vintage pickups

I've had the opportunity to try a few of @scottosan pickups.
I'm happy to encourage anyone to try one of his. I've got a couple ready to install, and can see myself getting more.
I'll be posting some before after stuff once I get them installed.
He's cranking em out quick and offering up free or cheap right now, just to get them out there.
These are going to catch on when folks see how great they are.

It should add lots of thickness and chunk over A5. No argument there, but I just hate the tone. You will likely sacrifice growl, tonal complexity and stuff like that for just sheer muscle, which will probably be abundant

Ceramic imo still usually has pretty good chunk and typically tighter, imo better tone than A8 and has that bite and sizzle over Alnico’s that can often be desirable, but not as warm. Also usually stronger and sharper pinch harmonics with ceramic

Different pickups though translate differently to the various magnets. In some I preferred A5, some Ceramic, some A2, but haven’t yet tried any A8’s that did it for me
Definitely find ceramics to be thicker and to have more texture. In the end, magnet is a tiny piece of thr puzzle.
If you talk to the Duncan custom shop, they will tell you a ceramic mag will tend to add thickness, complexity and texture.

I'm loving the Tremonti Bridge, 15+ k and fat, chunky and balanced. PRS claims it's their darkest pickup but I just find it balanced and thick, filled with richness.

Last edited:
I'm living the Tremonti Bridge, 15+ k and fat, chunky and balanced. PRS claims it's their darkest pickup but I just find it balanced and thick, filled with richness.
Love the Tremonti.

I'm set with pups in my maple/mahogany LP type guitars - Tremonti, 500T and the PSykes.

Love the Tremonti.

I'm set with pups in my maple/mahogany LP type guitars - Tremonti, 500T and the PSykes.
Have it in my Alder CE22 which is a heavy guitar for a DC. Sounds thick and mean.

Also in my SC250.

Also have an SC250 set that to my ears, sounds the same.

What are PSykes pickups?

Have it in my Alder CE22 which is a heavy guitar for a DC. Sounds thick and mean.

Also in my SC250.

Also have an SC250 set that to my ears, sounds the same.

What are PSykes pickups?
This is the Psykes into My Modded Roccaforte. No diode clipping int this one. 3 gain stages

This is the Psykes into a GroundZero MOAB

You should give the PRS \m/ a shot. I have an extra bridge version that I removed the cover available for sale.

I like the Aldrich in my LP and love it in my PRS SC. My LP has a lot of natural mids, is 8.6 lbs and very resonant. I think it would do best with a darker pickup, alnico most likely with good low end push.

Tried BBQ, too weak.

Why so many PRS pickups are squared off? Just rhe new style? I have an older Tremonti Bridge pickup that has rounded coils.

I've got a Rio-Grande BBQ in the bridge of my Les Paul and it sounds killer, handles all different levels of gain very well.

Back