Hair Metal fans, what's your favorite amp?

Oh man, I was hoping that riff was from an 80s band I missed and could queue up on Amazon music and play the heck out of... you need to record that.. it's one of the best riffs I've ever heard.

I don't think I've ever seen or heard you mention that Mesa .50 Caliber. I'll have to look at your videos again. Looks like a nice simple amp but a quick look and I can't find one for sale anywhere.

That 2204 sounds great too but not sure I'm ready to spend that much.

I haven't shopped for an amp in a while and I've never seen this slim pickings before or high prices. Even the DSL is out of stock.
Yeah the market is crazy right now.
I actually have a line on another Mesa .50+ head. I might grab it and sell my combo.
I'll make a clip. It's more modern sounding

Had Freidman BE deluxe 100w, great amp darker squishy and not enough mids for me
EVH stuff sounds great jamin but in a mix live too compressed for me

Best note articulation mids, tight punch everything found in the Slo 100

And live here is the Slo 30

For me its whatever amp I am playing thru at the time. Some do better than others but overall I usually gravitate to a certain tone so my settings may be non traditional for that particular amp, but it seems to work for how I play.

I'm not a huge hair metal guy, though I like a bunch of bands

IMO the SLO is the best for that sound, with the silver jubilee a close second.

But an sd1 or 808 with any sort of vintage marshall based tube amp will get you there; the real trick is the super crisp rack time based fx. Rocktron intellifex is a great, relatively inexpensive option.

Like others said the best amps I’ve tried so far for hair metal have been my ‘89 SLO or a ‘70’s Marshall with a good boost. It could be either a jmp2203 or superlead NMV. Both will do great. I’ve pretty much tried all the various types of amps out there except just Larry and a real Trainwreck (the many clones I’ve tried don’t count)

Actually, i forgot, I should take it back, imo the best hair metal amp I’ve tried would be my ‘90’s Purpleface VH4 ptp Protoype (not actually that good for the real heavy stuff surprisingly), but that’s a one-off Protoype. SLO and those Marshall’s would be the other bests for that style and in a similar ballpark. The 1st channel of my megalith beta with the gain dimed and a good boost pushing it can also get some really good hair tones. I wouldn’t bother with other amps I’ve owned or tried if going for hair metal tones. Just one of those 4

If you’re on a budget find an old Randall RG100ES. Hard to beat for the price. It also has a surprisingly decent and useable reverb that never get talked about and can actually cover a lot of ground

I'm not a huge hair metal guy, though I like a bunch of bands

IMO the SLO is the best for that sound, with the silver jubilee a close second.

But an sd1 or 808 with any sort of vintage marshall based tube amp will get you there; the real trick is the super crisp rack time based fx. Rocktron intellifex is a great, relatively inexpensive option.
My first thought was the silver jubilee as well, but I would agree that I would give the nod to the slo over the jubilee.

My first thought was the silver jubilee as well, but I would agree that I would give the nod to the slo over the jubilee.

The Jube does a FANTASTIC rhythm sound for that era of music, but the SLO does a great rhythm sound as well as probably the best lead tone of maybe all time IMO. Both totally amps I would love to own, had I unlimited funds for gear. As well as amps I'd love to *gig* - both of them are amps that need to be opened up to hit their true potential.

My BE100 with the vintage MXR 10 band in front.

Attachments

• 20200927_160920.jpg
    20200927_160920.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
Back