Hair Metal fans, what's your favorite amp?

I prefer the modded marshall route and with a PPIMV or anything else that gets the phase inverter going.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the amps mentioned here and in these videos need to be played loud to actually sound good hence i like the ppimv. Ofc the normal MV has to be usable too.

What's your favorite amp for playing hair metal? LPMojo's riffage in this video sounds just like what tone I am looking for so obviously the BE 100 will do it.. but what else will? And hey, what riff is that he is playing? @LPMojoGL great playing. I've seen that you have gone through a lot of amps. Have you found a favorite yet?

My Friedman Small Box 50 watt head.

Does this work on all Marshall type amps or just the BE?

What's the best pedal in front of a 2204/2203?
There's no best, really. All different shades of colors.
I like the Timmy, Klon, and treble booster, for different things.
Also, I just got a Wampler Belle, basically a Nobels type od, but with a bass knob, and it's surprisingly awesome in front of a dirty Marshall.
Tube Screamer, Rat and SD-1 are classics, not my favs.

Stock SD-1 is pretty hard/harsh sounding and feeling. Only reason to use it is price and “fame of the past”. There are much better alternatives on market right today. I like Monte Alumns modded one.
I use Ulbrick 12 Axe for 2203.

I have tried many and the only one that doesn't alter the gain structure and is very transparent while delivering lots more gain is the SD-1! But everybody has different tastes, opinions and ears!😉

Does this work on all Marshall type amps or just the BE?

What's the best pedal in front of a 2204/2203?
For my Marshall JMP 2203 and JCM800 2204 my go to is the VFE Dragon. I just purchased an SD-1 to play around with. I plan on doing the C6 mod to it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191126-193124_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191126-193124_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I owned an older pre 2010 version and it was horribly noisy. Just terrible. My 30$ Dano Fish n Chips was far better.

Yeah I used to be obsessed with eq pedals pre-larry, I think I was trying to put a bandaid on my amps to make them sound more like I wanted. I never use them anymore.

I was just curious what, if any difference, there was between the blue and black MXR 10 band pedals.

Yeah I used to be obsessed with eq pedals pre-larry, I think I was trying to put a bandaid on my amps to make them sound more like I wanted. I never use them anymore.

I was just curious what, if any difference, there was between the blue and black MXR 10 band pedals.
Mine is a late 70s to early 80s MXR 10 band eq. Im not sure why Mark prefers the vintage blue ones. All I know is it's game over for me when it comes to eq pedals. And after Dave Friedman did the power mod to it converting it from a corded 110 ac unit to 9VDC it is dead quiet.

Back