What's the Klon clone to get?

Which Klon clone from wish is the best one or best seller to get one from, anyone here using one of them?

Line 6 has nailed the Klon - called “Minotaur”. It is one of the most consistently used drive pedals in the Helix community and it is in every one of their Helix formats. But don’t take anyones word for it, there are many convincing comparisons of the Minotaur against various analog Klon clones on YouTube.

CKK Scream Honey used ones are $800 on Reverb.

Ugh
Sigh…. I just bit the bullet and bought the Scream Honey. I got a deal on it so if it don’t work out, I can relist it for quite a bit less that’s Reverb prices and recoup they announced on October 10 that there will be no more. The NOS parts are gone.

Sigh…. I just bit the bullet and bought the Scream Honey. I got a deal on it so if it don’t work out, I can relist it for quite a bit less that’s Reverb prices and recoup they announced on October 10 that there will be no more. The NOS parts are gone.

I'd be interested in checking it out if it doesn't work out for you. PM me if you don't like it

I'm all about trying the right boost for the right amp, but I've come to realize that I've never tried a Klon-type.

I love Tube Screamers, SD-1's, and their variants, but have never tried a Klon. Not that I will, but what are the best Klon clones to get?

I'm particularly looking at the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe because it has the EQ, but if you guys say there are some pedals that have more of "the Klon magic", then maybe they're more worth a try.

The TC Electronic Zeus OD looks cool as well. I have a TC Electronic Mocambo that I like better than my actual Ibanez TS808 reiussue, so TC know how to do good affordable clones.

Please keep the prices sensible. I'm not going to spend thousands on an actual Klon.

Thank you!
That Wampler Tumnus, even the mini-version, is amazing for what you pay for compared to the prices being asked elsewhere. Yes, there are more expensive boutique and even custom pedals that nail the original but this is too close to miss up. I use mine into a Marshall Origin and it sounds great.

To make a true KLON clone, you would need the same Sylvania 1N34A diodes that Bill used, which haven't been available for many years. NOS 1N34A diodes are fakes. The official replacement diode for Sylvania 1N34A is Sylvania ECG 109. There are many scammers who advertise ECG 109's against Sylvania packaging... If they are authentic, they will be in a thick sealed bag. I have a small stock of them, somewhere. When I find them, I'll post pics of the packaging.

To make a true KLON clone, you would need the same Sylvania 1N34A diodes that Bill used, which haven't been available for many years. NOS 1N34A diodes are fakes. The official replacement diode for Sylvania 1N34A is Sylvania ECG 109. There are many scammers who advertise ECG 109's against Sylvania packaging... If they are authentic, they will be in a thick sealed bag. I have a small stock of them, somewhere. When I find them, I'll post pics of the packaging.
That’s nonsense. Most of the gain comes from the opamp and the forwarding voltage on those 1n34a is the same as not only other 1n34a, but many other germanium diodes. And how does he know about who has what surplus? I have dozens of these from a closed down electronics store that a 90 year old man ran. It’s pure hype. The magic is the design not the diodes. If it were just the diodes then why goop the entire circuit. He didn’t claim the diodes were special until people degooped his circuit. You can put those diodes on a switch and swap between modern diodes with a vastly different forwarding voltage and it is difficult to even them being switched out. I’ve A/B with real klons and the difference is in the natural tolerance of the pots. You have to a/b by ear, not pot position and that goes for even A/Bing 2 of the same pedal. Way too much hype and not enough transparency in the less industry.
Lots of transparent and good info below

I feel like building amps with the same circuit with same measured resistance and capacitance just different part types makes a tonal change in my findings. I believe a guitar pedal would be the same way.

I feel like building amps with the same circuit with same measured resistance and capacitance just different part types makes a tonal change in my findings. I believe a guitar pedal would be the same way.

Yes, but much less in a pedal. Diodes is not one of those things in this pedal that make a huge difference. You can removed the diodes and simply lose a slight amount of gain. The opamp is doing the heavy lifting in that circuit As far as tone caps in his pedal, they’re Panasonic and still attainable. It simply a geniuslly designed circuit. It doesn’t matter though because the original will always demand more money

Last edited:
No, it's snot.

This circuit has been analyzed more than just about any circuit. The diodes are of the least importance in this circuit. You could actually remove them and it would still sound like a Klon with may 5% less gain. I will put big money that you not bill can identify a 1n34a from 1 manufacturot in this circuit from another. They’re simply not a critical part of the Klon circuit. How many diodes have you personally A/B’d in this circuit on an a/b switch to go back and forth real time?

Yes, but much less in a pedal. Diodes is not one of those things in this pedal that make a huge difference. You can removed the diodes and simply lose a slight amount of gain. The opamp is doing the heavy lifting in that circuit As far as tone caps in his pedal, they’re Panasonic and still attainable. It simply a geniuslly designed circuit. It doesn’t matter though because the original will always demand more money

I would think it would really depend on the amplifier circuit. So if we took that out of the equation and just sampled it on spectrum analyzer we might be able to tell a tone difference but still may not be able to tell how it feels when picking a note or struming a chord. I believe that using a different layout and different part types but the same value over the original pedal design being cloned will lead you to different results.

I would think it would really depend on the amplifier circuit. So if we took that out of the equation and just sampled it on spectrum analyzer we might be able to tell a tone difference but still may not be able to tell how it feels when picking a note or struming a chord. I believe that using a different layout and different part types but the same value over the original pedal design being cloned will lead you to different results.
Not all klons sound the same. Natural parts tolerances is expected. I’m simply stating that the magic diodes is just not varying in this circuit. The opamp on the other hand will make a noticeable difference since that’s were the clipping is coming from in this circuit.

Back