Am I missing out on anything with boutique amps?

I’m still wondering what you actually listen to?? You mentioned before it can’t be found on any streaming sites, is there some secret club of guys using boutique amps or something?

I listen to classic/power/speed metal. As opposed to modern periphery or deathcore type metal that all has the sneap sound.

The type with high pitched singing but without makeup.

The bands you would probably know would be like helloween, accept, blind guardian, iced earth, grave digger. some of the more popular stuff I listen to can certainly be found on streaming services

But finding scanner, savage grace, slough feg, virgin steele and most of the other bands I listen to on a regular basis is difficult on most streaming services. Last time I used my ex girlfriends Pandora, I think there was one slough feg album, the first one?

Either way, almost all of those bands use pretty boutique-y gear in almost all of those cases - even the popular ones. The most "normal" is probably Kai Hansen from helloween/gamma ray who used stock Marshalls early and engl starting in the early to mid 90s. The other helloween guitar players used various modded stuff from steavens and Larry and others.

Blind guardian is fairly normal gear wise - boogie stuff. Mostly rectos, and Triaxis pres.

Grave digger used bogners forever, like since the late 80s, but their guitarist recently switched to h&k.

Accept uses wizards almost exclusively now, but in the past used an array of Bernard Steavens modded Marshalls, steavens rack gear, and other stuff.

Iced earth is famously Larry, though on later albums he's blended in splawns and Ubers for sections.

Scanner used Bernard Steavens modded Marshalls, Savage grace used langner modded Marshalls, Slough feg used hovercraft, and Ed Pursino from virgin Steele probably used Caswell modded Marshalls

So, in conclusion, no, most of the music I listen to and enjoy was most certainly not created with readily available gear.

sounds like people are starting to get a little butthurt on this thread. I think most of us that have boutique or non boutique gear all seem to be happy with what we have. But the op sounds like he is ready to party and have an amp fest, so let's make it happen!

But finding scanner, savage grace, slough feg, virgin steele and most of the other bands I listen to on a regular basis is difficult on most streaming services. Last time I used my ex girlfriends Pandora, I think there was one slough feg album, the first one?

Spotify has every album by each of these bands and even playlists based on similar stuff people listen to. Now because I checked out the Scanner radio list I’m listening to Attacker, Laaz Rockit, Ostrogoth, Enforcer.

Spotify has every album by each of these bands and even playlists based on similar stuff people listen to. Now because I checked out the Scanner radio list I’m listening to Attacker, Laaz Rockit, Ostrogoth, Enforcer.

Great?

Edit: I hope those bands feel like their art was worth the 3 thousands of a cent they received from each play.

Last edited:
It’s a guitar forum. Not the place for normal people

In order to be more normal, I've decided I'm going to start a YouTube channel where I test/shill thousands of tube screamer clones through a 5150 and recto and the same Mesa OS v30/sm57 two notes IR that literally everyone uses, while using clickbait titles like "MASTER OF PUPPETS TONE WITHOUT A C+???" and "EXPENSIVE BOUTIQUE GEAR ETERNALLY BTFO'D BY BOSS KATANA."

Should help me stand out from the pack.

In order to be more normal, I've decided I'm going to start a YouTube channel where I test/shill thousands of tube screamer clones through a 5150 and recto and the same Mesa OS v30/sm57 two notes IR that literally everyone uses, while using clickbait titles like "MASTER OF PUPPETS TONE WITHOUT A C+???" and "EXPENSIVE BOUTIQUE GEAR ETERNALLY BTFO'D BY BOSS KATANA."

Make sure you act like a complete fuck and make fart noises to bleep you cuss words.. Fucking sellout fuck

You shouldn’t make fun of fluff like that

also write a book on tone

I summoned the tone demon. Master of all things bedroom and recording.

*evil laugh*

Honestly I’d pay damn good money to have Larry and Voldemort discuss tone 1v1 Dr Phil style.

Well, you know, larry hasnt written a 50$ e-book that collates every recording youtube channel's viral clickbait videos, so I don't know if he has Voldemort's credentials.

That’s not good enough you gotta also have a trendy looking SS with a fancy top that’s drenched in thick poly finish and sounds like furniture with strings, loaded with either EMG’s or Fluence’s or better yet have it with BKP’s like the Aftermath that think they’re more organic sounding. And that’ll only cover metal. I’ll take over the rest with the latest Klon or KoT clone and Dumble and Trainwreck pedals that sound just like the actual amps

That’s not good enough you gotta also have a trendy looking SS with a fancy top that’s drenched in thick poly finish and sounds like furniture with strings, loaded with either EMG’s or Fluence’s or better yet have it with BKP’s like the Aftermath that think they’re more organic sounding. And that’ll only cover metal. I’ll take over the rest with the latest Klon or KoT clone and Dumble and Trainwreck pedals that sound just like the actual amps
Good on you. I thought you might be above jumping in the mud with the peasants..lol

Back