EVH Harmonics

Hate to state the obvious, but practice. Eddie was trying to be different, so it wasn’t as much practice as it was exploration and discovery. Learn how to pop the strings. I have little doubt you can’t do it. 👍

Funny my band was going to pick up Dance the night away and i was very concerned about the middle tapping. I got better at it with a pop approach,.. tapping the string just off the fret And tap E,B and G strings together diagonally for the inverted chord part of the riff.

A part of my struggle was not getting string or feedback noise while tapping. We ended up not doing the song because my singer was not digging the vocal parts.

From what Ive read Eddie always played super loud and I assume his guitar was just on the verge of feeding back all the time. So harmonics in the studio were no problem for him. Play loud and tap hard with your right index finger...

Just to clarify: The 12th fret harmonic will always be in tune with the open string. That's just physics. But the fretted note at the 12th is the one that we use to set the intonation. Other than that I totally agree.

From what Ive read Eddie always played super loud and I assume his guitar was just on the verge of feeding back all the time. So harmonics in the studio were no problem for him. Play loud and tap hard with your right index finger...

Eddie did play extremely loud and used very very minimal effects compared to most of his peers . Joe Satriani talked about it recently when discussing his views on modeling .

Eddie did play extremely loud and used very very minimal effects compared to most of his peers . Joe Satriani talked about it recently when discussing his views on modeling .
Whats he modeling now bras or panties?

How on earth was Eddie able to make all of those tapped harmonics pop out loud and clear? I been trying off and on for decades and I can't figure it out. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. I wan't to be able to do it every single time with no effort like Ed did.

My band is learning Dance the Night Away and even though I know the breakdown solo part, It's really hard to get the harmonics to pop out, especially when I turn the volume down for that part.

Learning the intro to Meanstreet, I discovered that the more distortion I have, the easier it is but Ed didn't use that much distortion, especially by today's standard.
He never seemed to NOT be able to it and when he did, it was just as easy for him as playing a note with a pick! It boggles my mind.
So who here knows the (his) secret! haha I'm guessing the answer is to keep trying.
Those tapped harmonics are easy, just hit the top of the fret wire, very fast, like your tapping a hot oven top and repeat all over on the same string .

Another fun trick to do , if you don't have a Floyd Rose, is bending the string between the tailpiece and bridge or between the nut and the tuning keys .

But I like doing power chords and bending between the tailpiece and bridge .... totally wicked .... can't do that with a Floyd !!!!
👹🤘

Back