New Fortin TS808

I’ve got the TS9 and it’s a killer pedal. It’s hot af, it compresses in a really cool way, and the mids are vicious. My G/C Triple and Naylor absolutely love it.
Yes the mids are why I love it. Usually I don’t like boosts as compressed as it is, but I think that compression also adds to what I like in the mids. It’s also equally great in front of my ‘89 SLO

I agree. The Hexdrive, and TS9 were both killer pedals. I regret selling the TS9 most, but I got on the list for this one.
Hexdrive was surprisingly good too. I think I just sold mine because of my Klon and a few others, but nothing else I’ve tried has the vicious mids of the Fortin Maxon. Maybe I’m nitpicky, but I like the maxon one even more. It’s possible the difference could’ve been enough to not have sold it, but hard to say I guess

So he increases the output volume, and added more clipping stages? Yet, most people run the drive at zero and stock already had enough to push the input on any amp, so the output volume doesn't need to 2.5x or whatever.
No, there’s only 1 LED diode pair, which is less gain than the standard silicon diodes and the shelf frequency is higher than the stock 720hz. So, basically $3 in parts

That is one of the most overrated pieces of I've come across. I do not get the hype at all. Granted, it was still a good pedal, just not even close to grail status it gets. Its not even great...just good. With that said, I liked the Dragon slightly better.
Agreed. I admit I was quite impressed at the time when I had it because it could be dialed in for many different sounds and sent a lot pedals I had packing (Fortin 33, Grind, Precision Drive and a few others), but I've come across much better pedals since then. Definitely not grail status but I wouldn't call the prices it got to quite grail status, just still in the "very overpriced" range imo. The Dragon I liked about equal, but very different flavor

That is one of the most overrated pieces of I've come across. I do not get the hype at all. Granted, it was still a good pedal, just not even close to grail status it gets. Its not even great...just good. With that said, I liked the Dragon slightly better.
I couldn't sell the Standout I had fast enough. Hated it.

Last edited:
Noticing a ton of anti-Fortin sentiment on RT these days. I haven't really been paying much attention to it, but it finally has hit the tipping point where I need to ask why all the hate for all things Fortin? I don't own any other than some plugins from Neural DSP, and while I don't think they're anything "special", but I do like them.

Noticing a ton of anti-Fortin sentiment on RT these days. I haven't really been paying much attention to it, but it finally has hit the tipping point where I need to ask why all the hate for all things Fortin? I don't own any other than some plugins from Neural DSP, and while I don't think they're anything "special", but I do like them.

Probably because of this https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/thre...-and-who-he-says-ripped-him-off.208860/page-5
and other thread around the forums.

Because a good portion of his product line consists of ripped off designs. That alone isn’t abnormal in the industry, but when you claim them as original designs and base your customer service on an army of leg Humperdinck attack you for valid issues, it tends to lead to what you’re observing.

Last edited:
Hexdrive was surprisingly good too. I think I just sold mine because of my Klon and a few others, but nothing else I’ve tried has the vicious mids of the Fortin Maxon. Maybe I’m nitpicky, but I like the maxon one even more. It’s possible the difference could’ve been enough to not have sold it, but hard to say I guess
I liked the hex drive also. Nothing wrong with it. But the Ts808hw is better for my ears.

Agreed. I admit I was quite impressed at the time when I had it because it could be dialed in for many different sounds and sent a lot pedals I had packing (Fortin 33, Grind, Precision Drive and a few others), but I've come across much better pedals since then. Definitely not grail status but I wouldn't call the prices it got to quite grail status, just still in the "very overpriced" range imo. The Dragon I liked about equal, but very different flavor
The dragon had a very sterile and "fake" sounds to it imo.

Yep. Honestly the bulk of the dislike is because of that douche Fortin hired for his PR/marketing. I think Zack(I think that’s his name) took us from a fair criticism of Fortin, to a downright dislike. Fortin finally jetted the douche but the damage was already done.
I just didn’t like the way his stuff sounded or felt lol, but now there’s at least one thing he did that I like

The dragon had a very sterile and "fake" sounds to it imo.
I feel the majority of pedals made today have that sound to some degree. That ts808hw you have is a very nice pedal. If AB’ed with a good pedal like that it can make the dragon and many others sound sterile or plastic-y in comparison. That’s what usually happens in my AB’s of new pedals I get vs my tried and true favorites

Back