I have a confession to make ....... ( 2203x related ) and also a build quality confession .

that's what I'm thinking !
I think I'm going to do a VH2 build .... not sure yet .... I got to let this JCM800 thing play out a bit ... lol
I really like Jason's vids over at Headfirst ..... he actually explains stuff .... I feel like I learn something ... some science behind the madness if you will ...
Haha. Burger = Jason at Headfirst. You are taking coffee and pie with a living legend!

a VH2 is an ambitious build for first ground up build but Jason not only gives you a schematic but a layout as well. Now it's not going to be a paint by numbers build but you will have plenty of info to get the job done.

as far as reading schematics there are a ton of vids showing you how geared toward amp building. It's a bit overwhelming at first but take it in chunks and it makes sense.

What helped me is get the layout and schematic and use them to follow each other. You will start to see how it comes together. May only take you a few minutes or a couple hours but it isn't difficult once you know what you are looking at symbol wise.

Yep. That is just "the" sound.

I was a boost / OD junkie for years and have just last year realized that SD1's are my favorite for the 2203 / 2204's and a TS9 for 5150's. Bought, sold, and traded away probably 20 to 30 boosts over the past two years whittling them down to come to that conclusion.

Have a Ceriatone 2204 with the JEL mod that I am looking at changing up a bit. Sounds great but I like the 2203X with the Pandora mod better. Now who can reach out to about modding the 2204? :unsure:
Who put the JEL mod in your 2204?

I lost all ability to a rolled clean tone on my 4 stage setup and had to design the ability to switch from 3 to 4 stages on the fly. I have a padding switch on the back that shunts a resistor to ground that turns that 3 stage design into either a crunch or a clean (my preference). This amp has kicked my ass. It’s in pieces right now and I need to put it back together.
Yes. You should try adding the extra stage. or stages, right before the cathode follower after the stock stages. Tough to get it quiet but it allows a clean to mean with hardly any volume loss. It will get loud very fast on the master knob but it is worth the trade off. Mine is on a push pull. With the added tube out of circuit the amp is bone stock aside from shielded leads.

Yes. You should try adding the extra stage. or stages, right before the cathode follower after the stock stages. Tough to get it quiet but it allows a clean to mean with hardly any volume loss. It will get loud very fast on the master knob but it is worth the trade off. Mine is on a push pull. With the added tube out of circuit the amp is bone stock aside from shielded leads.
That’s basically my Laney GH100S. Stock 2203 + extra stage + normal CF in the same order. Also has an auto soft start circuit. It’s a crime how cheap they go for lol

I’ve been wanting to mod mine to have a depth knob. I think it would be sick :rock:

that's what I'm thinking !
I think I'm going to do a VH2 build .... not sure yet .... I got to let this JCM800 thing play out a bit ... lol
I really like Jason's vids over at Headfirst ..... he actually explains stuff .... I feel like I learn something ... some science behind the madness if you will ...

check out this guys vids, he has a real jose he goes through. i have the preamp pedal and it rips

I’m going to have to boost my 78 2203 . I literally have just been enjoying it for its purity that I’ve yet to boost . Of course I will but it’s like im leaving a dessert for my ear lol

lmao .... no shit ??
lol. Hey mate.

I wouldn’t recommend starting with a VH2/4. That’s a challenging build.

The Cali is a great first DIY for hot rodded Marshall José tones, it’s a pre tone stack Jose master circuit with two masters and 3 way clippings options on each master. For a more vintage single channel thing, do a 2204. You just need to get that first one under your belt and then you’ll be off and running.

lol. Hey mate.

I wouldn’t recommend starting with a VH2/4. That’s a challenging build.

The Cali is a great first DIY for hot rodded Marshall José tones, it’s a pre tone stack Jose master circuit with two masters and 3 way clippings options on each master. For a more vintage single channel thing, do a 2204. You just need to get that first one under your belt and then you’ll be off and running.
Advice heard .... and taken .... I was already checking that build out ..... it sounds amazing !

I just watched the FX loop Video ..... definitely going to have to get one of those ...

edit : just bought one of the 2203x FX loops ...... lol ... why wait ??

Last edited:
I've been boosting amps forever. But Marshall's?? they aren't for me really. I'll play them if I have to, but there's a hell of a lot of other stuff I'd rather use. Ya know, more unique sounding amps. If it's a choice between a jcm 800 with a boost and a 5150 though, i'll take the 800.

I've been boosting amps forever. But Marshall's?? they aren't for me really. I'll play them if I have to, but there's a hell of a lot of other stuff I'd rather use. Ya know, more unique sounding amps. If it's a choice between a jcm 800 with a boost and a 5150 though, i'll take the 800.
5150 6l6 Blue with boost is no slouch. That slays MANY MANY setups.

Back