I have a confession to make ....... ( 2203x related ) and also a build quality confession .

Didn't Cameron also famously say himself that it is hard for any mod to beat an SD-1 kicking the front end of a Marshall? If you want an extra tube just try that hot mod that slots right into your preamp tube socket.
My 800 sounds very good with an SD=1 in front (better with some other boosts). I don't care what you say, add a hot mod, boost etc.
Still not the same as a great modded amp.
There may be advantages for lower gain, trying different boosts etc, but the feel isn't the same and neither is the sound.

I've built a ton of pedals and have worked on all my own amps for years now
It will be interesting to see if you find something better than the SD1. It's crazy that there are so many choices out there but for goosing a 2203 the $35 SD1 is still tops imo. You can then double boost if that's not enough.

Don't sleep on the Nobels circuit either. Just by everything and anything and try to find a boost or OD that you can't use with an 800. That will be the bigger challenge. What DOESN'T work. Also, turn the thing up. You will require way less gain from an OD. That's where you want to be.

It will be interesting to see if you find something better than the SD1. It's crazy that there are so many choices out there but for goosing a 2203 the $35 SD1 is still tops imo. You can then double boost if that's not enough.
The Sd-1 I used last night was a clone I made a year or so ago ..... exact circuit but with all WIMA and Nichycon caps ...true bypass also ... no buffer

I'll try my KOT clone , my Klon clone ... Buxom Betty ..... VH4 ....... clones for days ...... lol

Attachments

• 20190420_185805_resized.jpg
    20190420_185805_resized.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20181115_200938_resized.jpg
    20181115_200938_resized.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20181011_203012_resized (1).jpg
    20181011_203012_resized (1).jpg
    914.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I think everyone told you so... at this point, I don't know how anyone can question a boosted 800. It is as much of a guarantee as you can get.. like finding a pedo catholic priest.
Over 40 years later still a very tough high gain sound to rival. Before covid I was very surprised of all the guys choosing Splawn’s or 5150’s when a 800 or JMP with a boost could be had in a similar price range

My 800 sounds very good with an SD=1 in front (better with some other boosts). I don't care what you say, add a hot mod, boost etc.
Still not the same as a great modded amp.
There may be advantages for lower gain, trying different boosts etc, but the feel isn't the same and neither is the sound.
It really depends on the amp, both modded and stock + pedal. At this point, I’ve probably had 20+ modded Marshalls (7 Cams) by all the names except Langner, a real Jose A and a Morin. Most of them can be duplicated pretty easily with 1 or two boosts in front; the feel I don’t think is much different except for the Cameron’s and my old Mono. But, I recently got that cheap 4211 (2210) chassis that was in the classifieds and after 3 small simple mods, like stupid easy it now reminds me of my old Aldrich with the white headshell. This is with an OD1X in front.

Yep. That is just "the" sound.

I was a boost / OD junkie for years and have just last year realized that SD1's are my favorite for the 2203 / 2204's and a TS9 for 5150's. Bought, sold, and traded away probably 20 to 30 boosts over the past two years whittling them down to come to that conclusion.

Have a Ceriatone 2204 with the JEL mod that I am looking at changing up a bit. Sounds great but I like the 2203X with the Pandora mod better. Now who can reach out to about modding the 2204? :unsure:

Unless you really, really know what you’re doing, you’re going to have a hard time building a mod that will do as well as an SD-1 into a 2203 that doesn’t thin it out, remove the touch response, remove the big character, etc. It took me literally 3 years to come up with a circuit from scratch that outdid the SD-1 boosted Marshall thing. It’s not all roses and candy-canes and adding a tube is definitely not beginner level by any stretch.
Well there’s a great deal that you can do to an amplifier to change its voicing, gain, dynamic responsiveness etc.. And at least 80% of those modifications don’t require an additional dual triode (2 more amplification stages) requiring grid load + plate load resistors + cathode bypass capacitors & resistors + coupling capacitors to connect with the rest of the preamp and to each new triode with one another. Lead dress, routing the new wiring to the new tube socket’s pins connecting to the new components has to be done right or it’s all squealing screeching & hum. which need to be carefully selected so that the tubes’ voltages are biased to proper operating conditions, As well as contributing to bass response eq voicing and gain levels. Oh and even done right adding 2 more gain stages to an already hot preamp means increasing noise by 2x.
Now remember it’s a dual triode, So the component’s carefully selected & tweaked to get the right voltages and voicing all must be done.. TWICE! I honestly have way oversimplified this and left out far far more than I’ve mentioned.

**Ive said all this not to make myself look smart or to overwhelm & discourage you @griff10672 from getting your hands in the chassis and getting your amp sounding like you dream about. I do it to caution you about the many potential pitfalls and (more than likely) turning your amp into a bench ornament. Because I tore my hair out exasperated as I routinely murdered perfectly good amps and built a junk museum of mod attempts, badly or never-working scratch build heads and assembled kit builds. Which eventually lead to becoming proficient with audio equipment electronics and I’m sure you’ll get there if that’s what you want. But I don’t want that frustrating wasteful path for you, and wish an experienced forum member (this is my first day on here) had done so for me.. :giggle:

Last edited:
It really depends on the amp, both modded and stock + pedal. At this point, I’ve probably had 20+ modded Marshalls (7 Cams) by all the names except Langner, a real Jose A and a Morin. Most of them can be duplicated pretty easily with 1 or two boosts in front; the feel I don’t think is much different except for the Cameron’s and my old Mono. But, I recently got that cheap 4211 (2210) chassis that was in the classifieds and after 3 small simple mods, like stupid easy it now reminds me of my old Aldrich with the white headshell. This is with an OD1X in front.
My favorite boost varies literally by the day, but I’d say the OD1X is the most Cameron sounding boost I’ve played. Opens up the low end, thereby reducing the appearance of mids a bit, and bounces without being too tight or too loose. It really has that same vibe and they’re cheap. But the OCD has my heart currently if I had to pick one

The Sd-1 I used last night was a clone I made a year or so ago ..... exact circuit but with all WIMA and Nichycon caps ...true bypass also ... no buffer

I'll try my KOT clone , my Klon clone ... Buxom Betty ..... VH4 ....... clones for days ...... lol
I didn’t know you’re a proficient pedal builder (as I mentioned signed up here less than 12 hrs ago) so if you’re able to scratch build nice pedals directly from a schematic, and breadboard new ideas for fx circuits, you’re certainly doing well and not as far from valve amplifier work as I may have thought!! 👍🏻

I didn’t know you’re a proficient pedal builder (as I mentioned signed up here less than 12 hrs ago) so if you’re able to scratch build nice pedals directly from a schematic, and breadboard new ideas for fx circuits, you’re certainly doing well and not as far from valve amplifier work as I may have thought!! 👍🏻
yeah ...... I've built a ton of pedals ..... sold some .. traded some ... kept some ....
I got to the point where I was having my own boards fabricated ..... which I still have a bunch of actually ...
I was using EasyEDA which I got quite good with .... but I haven't put my head into that software for a year or so now
and I've done a bunch of work on amps .... just never built one from the ground up ...... but thanks to Headfirst Amplification .... that all may change
at this point .... I can get myself through and understand most schematics ...

Well there’s a great deal that you can do to an amplifier to change its voicing, gain, dynamic responsiveness etc.. And at least 80% of those modifications don’t require an additional dual triode (2 more amplification stages) requiring grid load + plate load resistors + cathode bypass capacitors & resistors + coupling capacitors to connect with the rest of the preamp and to each new triode with one another. Lead dress, routing the new wiring to the new tube socket’s pins connecting to the new components has to be done right or it’s all squealing screeching & hum. which need to be carefully selected so that the tubes’ voltages are biased to proper operating conditions, As well as contributing to bass response eq voicing and gain levels. Oh and even done right adding 2 more gain stages to an already hot preamp means increasing noise by 2x.
Now remember it’s a dual triode, So the component’s carefully selected & tweaked to get the right voltages and voicing all must be done.. TWICE! I honestly have way oversimplified this and left out far far more than I’ve mentioned.

**Ive said all this not to make myself look smart or to overwhelm & discourage you @griff10672 from getting your hands in the chassis and getting your amp sounding like you dream about. I do it to caution you about the many potential pitfalls and (more than likely) turning your amp into a bench ornament. Because I tore my hair out exasperated as I routinely murdered perfectly good amps and built a junk museum of mod attempts, badly or never-working scratch build heads and assembled kit builds. Which eventually lead to becoming proficient with audio equipment electronics and I’m sure you’ll get there if that’s what you want. But I don’t want that frustrating wasteful path for you, and wish an experienced forum member (this is my first day on here) had done so for me.. :giggle:
You must be new here.

yeah ...... I've built a ton of pedals ..... sold some .. traded some ... kept some ....
I got to the point where I was having my own boards fabricated ..... which I still have a bunch of actually ...
I was using EasyEDA which I got quite good with .... but I haven't put my head into that software for a year or so now
and I've done a bunch of work on amps .... just never built one from the ground up ...... but thanks to Headfirst Amplification .... that all may change
at this point .... I can get myself through and understand most schematics ...
With that background, you are totally ready to tackle a ground up build.

With that background, you are totally ready to tackle a ground up build.
that's what I'm thinking !
I think I'm going to do a VH2 build .... not sure yet .... I got to let this JCM800 thing play out a bit ... lol
I really like Jason's vids over at Headfirst ..... he actually explains stuff .... I feel like I learn something ... some science behind the madness if you will ...

Check out Bruce Egnater’s added stage for the 2203/2204, it was designed specifically to mimic an SD-1 in front of a Marshall, the only thing you lose is the low sensitivity input on the front of the amp. It was published in an issue of Guitar Player magazine (June ‘95 I think), the one where Dweezil Zappa interviews EVH.

Back