What amps have you not had ?

Dyllheaven88

Been going through the long list of amps I haven’t had or played and theirs still a few heavy hitters. Wondering if anyone else has a list to check off ?

I honestly want to buy one of those mini JCM800s to have around and practice on. I’m finding after all is said and done I have more fun playing and practicing on my smaller 20W lately than the big iron simply because it’s just more convenient.

I honestly want to buy one of those mini JCM800s to have around and practice on. I’m finding after all is said and done I have more fun playing and practicing on my smaller 20W lately than the big iron simply because it’s just more convenient.
BF0B5199-3C34-4432-8EDE-111720F77D24.png

Bogner, Wizard, Omega and Driftwood are the ones I have wanted to pop for....just to try em.
REVV and a couple of others were on my radar,but just not that important.
Cameron and Larry didn't seem worth the hassle. Used to want a Fortin till I tried one at an ampfest.

Same was thinking about getting one of those 1 watt Marshall’s sometimes I feel dumb firing up the 100 watter at night

The wiz is def worth a quick trip
I had a MC I with the Marshall style transformer and an MTL II. Both were great. I thought the MTL reminded me of my ultra lead but with more saturation. I miss both of those. Particularly the MC I. But they didn’t get the play time necessary to justify the value.

I have never owned a vh4 or a Larry. I’m on the waitlist for Hermansson so that itch will get scratched soon. Those are the only left on my list. I would still like to buy either so if anyone has either they want to move let me know (fat chance, but I don’t want to play the waiting game and would still pay a premium on the Larry just to get it off my list).

Otherwise I think I’ve hit about everything as far as notable amps. The one I still get the most joy out of is my cheapest amp which is my Landry G3 (that I got used at a steal).

I still own 15 ish amps and got rid of 30 or so over the last few years.

Last edited:
Interestingly all of those are amps that lean dry and hollow in the midrange
The splawn and ultra lead in particular are very dry. I thought my MC was much more saturated than those by comparison. The ultra lead is probably the driest amp I’ve ever plugged into. By a lot. Oddly I think the CLX and splawn have a lot of similarities as well.

I always have lists of all the gear I wanna try by category. For high gain amps the only ones left are a Larry, Hermansson, Rev C Dual Rec and MLC. For non-high gain amps I just gotta try (not buy lol) a real Trainwreck & 4 other Alessandro models (I have 3 Alessandro’s currently). Just a few more pedals and tubes I haven’t tried yet and then there won’t really be anything left to try, just to buy and actually find them for sale (rare stuff). Most who say “I’ve tried them all” haven’t come anywhere near close (I find inaccurate info like that annoying), but if I can try those last few I’ll at least be pretty damn close to it… until I learn about other things later I gotta try (it’s the cycle of it)

I always have lists of all the gear I wanna try by category. For high gain amps the only ones left are a Larry, Hermansson, Rev C Dual Rec and MLC. For non-high gain amps I just gotta try (not buy lol) a real Trainwreck & 4 other Alessandro models (I have 3 Alessandro’s currently). Just a few more pedals and tubes I haven’t tried yet and then there won’t really be anything left to try, just to buy and actually find them for sale (rare stuff). Most who say “I’ve tried them all” haven’t come anywhere near close (I find inaccurate info like that annoying), but if I can try those last few I’ll at least be pretty damn close to it… until I learn about other things later I gotta try (it’s the cycle of it)
I’m guilty of this. I have definitely not owned a trainwreck. Or a dumble. I don’t have throw handfuls of coke at people for fun money. But if I did…I would consider those.

The splawn and ultra lead in particular are very dry. I thought my MC was much more saturated than those by comparison. The ultra lead is probably the driest amp I’ve ever plugged into. By a lot. Oddly I think the CLX and splawn have a lot of similarities as well.
Agreed, although I remember this one ‘90’s VHT UL I tried being a lot more saturated and compressed than the Fryette UL I owned. The Omega Obsidian also is very dry. I honestly hate the Splawn’s and don’t like much the Fryette’s (not because of the dryness). Yeah I guess the 1996 Wizard MC I had would’ve been more saturated than those amps. The 2016 MTL I have now would be I think the driest amp I’ve got of my 27 amps. The only other amp I have currently that leans dry is my 1997 Blueface VH4. I don’t mind dry at all actually, but I really don’t like hollow mids and favor tonal complexity & nuance, and seems to be that those types of amps tend not to be dry usually

Last edited:
Agreed, although I remember this one ‘90’s VHT UL I tried being a lot more saturated and compressed than the Fryette UL I owned. The Omega Obsidian also is very dry. I honestly hate the Splawn’s and don’t like much the Fryette’s (not because of the dryness). Yeah I guess the 1996 Wizard MC I had would’ve been more saturated than those amps. The 2016 MTL I have now would be I think the driest amp I’ve got of my 27 amps. The only other amp I have currently that leans dry is my 1997 Blueface VH4. I don’t mind dry at all actually, but I really don’t like hollow mids and favor tonal complexity & nuance, and seems to be that those types of amps tend not to be dry
I can’t remember the year but I believe one of the UL years had a different number of preamp tubes and a tweak to the PI that might have altered the tone of the amp. I could be misremembering but that might explain that.

I’m guilty of this. I have definitely not owned a trainwreck. Or a dumble. I don’t have throw handfuls of coke at people for fun money. But if I did…I would consider those.
Same. I’ll probably never be able to afford those 2, but I’d be an incomplete gearhead without at least trying them at volume and thankfully have at least tried a real ‘70’s Dumble once and I’ll just say the Bludotone’s (and other clones) sounded and felt like total garbage in comparison, although I could really say that about almost any other amp I’ve tried period vs it lol

Last edited:
Same was thinking about getting one of those 1 watt Marshall’s sometimes I feel dumb firing up the 100 watter at night
Dude exactly. It’s nuts to fire up all of the effects and one of my big boy amps and they don’t even sound great that low in volume through 4x12s. I run my 20W through a 1x8 closed back cab and with the built in reverb it’s absolutely perfect to jam on after a long day at work without all of the hassle. Plus I’m not burning through $300 in glass fucking around.

Wizard
Dumble (will always have to settle for the many pedal options, I'm not made of money lol..that said, I'm using an AxeFX III lately and the ODS in that sounds pretty sweet)
MESA Mark IIc
Diezel
Peters
Suhr

On those 1w Marshall's, I still think back to the day I walked into GC (when that line launched) and sampled the JMP model thoroughly - that little sucked had killer tone (!) and I wanted it badly, just couldn't justify the $800 tag (or whatever the asking price was).

Last edited:
SLO. never played or had one. I've had lots of cool amps and i own my desert island amp (101b) but never the SLO and some of the guys I think have great tone have leaned on them in thepast. I suspect the new SLO pedal will be my first foray into that arena lol

Back