What amps have you not had ?

Hmmm, not that I'd want to own one, but I'd love to try a Dumble or a Trainwreck. Everyone talks so much about those that they're in that mythical status. It'd be cool just play one to see how they sound and feel. A Wizard would be cool too.

I didn't have many amps below 100W but there's nothing left I actually want to try. I'll be revisiting the MTL in a few weeks because some people seem to swear by them but other than that I stopped being interested in actually testing amps for about 10 years now with very few exceptions.

To me the market is oversaturated and the offerings are mostly boring and influencer marketing is a big part of it. I'm also not interested in shelling out $2-3k for what basically sounds like or just is another Jose or Peavey 5150 clone.

The choices and the lack of innovation bores me to death. Yeah, BAD paired another pedal with an underpowered Class-D module and put it in a small headshell that you then need a large wall wart for and the cancerous influencers on YouTube are gushing all over it. Fucking great!

Last edited:
SLO. never played or had one. I've had lots of cool amps and i own my desert island amp (101b) but never the SLO and some of the guys I think have great tone have leaned on them in thepast. I suspect the new SLO pedal will be my first foray into that arena lol
I own a 101B and have extensive playtime on a real SLO a buddy owned. You have the better amp IMO.

Agreed, although I remember this one ‘90’s VHT UL I tried being a lot more saturated and compressed than the Fryette UL I owned. The Omega Obsidian also is very dry. I honestly hate the Splawn’s and don’t like much the Fryette’s (not because of the dryness). Yeah I guess the 1996 Wizard MC I had would’ve been more saturated than those amps. The 2016 MTL I have now would be I think the driest amp I’ve got of my 27 amps. The only other amp I have currently that leans dry is my 1997 Blueface VH4. I don’t mind dry at all actually, but I really don’t like hollow mids and favor tonal complexity & nuance, and seems to be that those types of amps tend not to be dry usually

Maybe we all have different ideas of what "dry" means lol. I've had a few VH4s and none of them were what I would consider dry. They are quite saturated, wet, and very compressed to my ears, with an immediate attack. There is a certain quality that is very unique to Diezel. Can't put my finger on it. The VH4 pairs very well with a Marshall in stereo to fill in the sonic space.

I've not had tons of the amps people around here talk about, like Wizards, SLO 100, Diezel VH4, etc...and I would really love to own a Mesa Mark IIC+ one day. I'm too busy spending my money on drugs these days to buy amps.

Last edited:
Maybe we all have different ideas of what "dry" means lol. I've had a few VH4s and none of them were what I would consider dry. They are quite saturated, wet, and very compressed to my ears, with an immediate attack. There is a certain quality that is very unique to Diezel. Can't put my finger on it. The VH4 pairs very well with a Marshall in stereo to fill in the sonic space.
Maybe we just have different semantics for describing tone, but seems we both like the VH4. To me amps like the VH4 ch3, Pittbull UL, and Omega Obsidian are the definition of dry high gain tone, while amps like the 5150’s/6505’s, Uberschall’s, Cameron’s, XTC’s, Butterslax and what I consider to be saturated/wet/greasy high gain tones. It’s been a while since I last tried a regular vh4, but I consider my ‘97 Blueface to be an open/less compressed high gain amp. Not as open as the Wizard’s, but it fills up the room in a way that you just don’t get in the more compressed amps like my Uber, Beta or a 5150

My Four Horsemen of Tone are real deal versions of the following:

I have not owned or played an SLO, so that would be the top of my list. Modded a couple Jet City amps to the supposed SLO spec and they sound great.

Have played but not owned an XTC 101b, and that's my high water mark all around. Currently settling for a 3534 until that gets sold (wink-wink check the classifieds).

Have not played or owned a BE100, but have owned a Runt 50. Also cloned a Marsha onto a Ceriatone 2204.

Have not owned or played a Cornford MK50H II, but I have a Jet City badged version of it, and it smokes. It's sort of like XTC low mid voicing, but very uncompressed and "dry" sounding.

Only amps remaining on my try before I die bucket list are
Cameron Aldrich Marshall mod, Hermansson Marshall mod, and confirmed to be amazing (better than average) sounding stock vintage Marshall late 60's SLP and late 70's JMP.

Of the really big dogs "that are readily available" not including small builders or mods.

Diezel VH4 -did own a Herbert, Wizard, Obsidian, Revv, Driftwood, Suhr would probably lead the way.

The only one on my list that I'm interested in is the Larry Dino... Yep that's the one I want but can't seem to get.

Ive heard most of these amps but have not played all of them. But other than it being a you gotta play it to get it kinda thing. They all sound like some kind of version of a marshall. I left well enough alone

Dumble
Trainwreck
Pre Mark IV Mark series
Can't think of anything else that interests me that I have not already owned.

Back