What amps have you not had ?

For 15+ years for me it was a morin Marshall, which I finally got all those years later. To me it’s still the most out of control scariest amp I own. I don’t know what that guy did, but they are the best Marshalls I’ve ever heard.

I would like to own a VH4, that’s sparking my interest these days. I absolutely love just about every amp sim of one, so I’m sure I’d love it.

I could sell everything but my rev F and my morin if I had to and be happy. There hasn’t been anything new in the last 10+ years that gets me curious. Especially very few of the newer amps like revv. KSR being the exception to me, my colossus is right up there with the other 2 amps I’d keep too.

The only thing that even has me a tiny bit curious these days is the hermansson stuff, maybe the gower stuff, and the MLC amps that seem to be gaining alot of traction. The gowers are the closest to me to mike morins mods for anyone curious. Very similar DNA I think from what I’ve heard. But I’m not gonna go out of my way or sell anything to get them either.
Aren't you just a little bit curious about the Mark IIC+ maybe just a little...??

Dry amps typically have great clarity…like a C+ does…but to me the C+ is very chewy/liquid to play so it has some traits that you would think would offset each other; yet that doesn’t happen.
Very unique amp.
Very unique indeed.

Aren't you just a little bit curious about the Mark IIC+ maybe just a little...??

I’ve never owned one, but A close friend had one for over year right next door to me in a full blown studio. So I had a ton of time with it. It is just so incredibly overrated to me. I feel that way about all the mark amps honestly. I owned a 4, and a 3 as well. The 3 being my favorite by far.

I’ve never owned one, but A close friend had one for over year right next door to me in a full blown studio. So I had a ton of time with it. It is just so incredibly overrated to me. I feel that way about all the mark amps honestly. I owned a 4, and a 3 as well. The 3 being my favorite by far.
Ya, but you are a known bullshitter. You lived next to a guy with a studio... sure you did. I live next to two neighbors with studios, they've got ten IIC++ heads each! Wizards, Diezel's, Modded Marshall's, you name it, and I can just waltz over there and play them whenever i want.

Seriously, I've only played thru a IIC+ briefly and it was godly IMO. Reminded me a little bit of my IV with the presence pulled. I had a III as well but it just wasn't the amp for me, it didn't have the same greasy feel, and clarity as the IIC+ and was a bitch to balance out the high end without it being a bit harsh sounding to the ears at band volumes and I couldn't get the recorded sound I wanted out of it. Sounded blanketed. So it had to go. It served me well as a live amp for 5 years though.

Ya, but you are a known bullshitter. You lived next to a guy with a studio... sure you did. I live next to two neighbors with studios, they've got ten IIC++ heads each! Wizards, Diezel's, Modded Marshall's, you name it, and I can just waltz over there and play them whenever i want.

Seriously, I've only played thru a IIC+ briefly and it was godly IMO. Reminded me a little bit of my IV with the presence pulled. I had a III as well but it just wasn't the amp for me, it didn't have the same greasy feel, and clarity as the IIC+ and was a bitch to balance out the high end without it being a bit harsh sounding to the ears at band volumes and I couldn't get the recorded sound I wanted out of it. Sounded blanketed. So it had to go. It served me well as a live amp for 5 years though.

A known bullshitter? GTFOH man. If you think I’m such a bullshitter then why do you give a fuck what I think? I grew up next to audiohammer studios in Sanford FL. Look it up. Maybe you’ve heard of them and heard a few records they’ve done.

Also why would I be so vocal about it being so overrated In MY OPINION, if I secretly love it or whatever you think? It doesn’t make any sense. The black album is the greatest sounding record of all time to me. I can surely afford one if I wanted to, so it’s not that either. So explain, what is it? Why am I bullshitting about it? Like what’s the agenda here?

Last edited:
I've got a question for all of you? What do you consider a Mark series amp like a IIC+? a dry sounding amp or a wet sounding amp? I'm confused about it??
I consider it to be a wet/saturated amp, but not as much so as things like my original Revision Uberschall, beta or a 6505/5150. Dry amps to me would be the Omega Obsidian, later version Fryette UL, Randall Thrasher, VH4’s. I enjoy equally dry or saturated amps if their high quality in tone

Last edited:
Ya, but it doesn't have the big fat low end of a rev G or F recto? It's basically just a SLO with a different power-amp, ya know?? which does change it's sound quite a bit. Look at the schematic of the rev C rectifier.
I think most guys get the semantics wrong here. They don’t have the low mids of those earlier Recto’s, which gives them that really fat sound, but imo the marks have more actual low end, more extended lows at least

A known bullshitter? GTFOH man. If you think I’m such a bullshitter then why do you give a fuck what I think? I grew up next to audiohammer studios in Sanford FL. Look it up. Maybe you’ve heard of them and heard a few records they’ve done.

Also why would I be so vocal about it being so overrated In MY OPINION, if I secretly love it or whatever you think? It doesn’t make any sense. The black album is the greatest sounding record of all time to me. I can surely afford one if I wanted to, so it’s not that either. So explain, what is it? Why am I bullshitting about it? Like what’s the agenda here?
What i'm trying to say here is I don't think you've ever even plugged into a IIC+, and even if you have, it was probably very briefly without knowing how to dial the thing in. If it was an all original amplifier, perhaps there was problems with it? Because I can't see someone who is into good guitar tones not liking the IIC+ (properly dialed in).

Overrated? perhaps a little given their current price, but they are still awesome amplifiers, and definitely better than a Mark III or a 5150 for that matter.

What i'm trying to say here is I don't think you've ever even plugged into a IIC+, and even if you have, it was probably very briefly without knowing how to dial the thing in. If it was an all original amplifier, perhaps there was problems with it? Because I can't see someone who is into good guitar tones not liking the IIC+ (properly dialed in).

Overrated? perhaps a little given their current price, but they are still awesome amplifiers, and definitely better than a Mark III or a 5150 for that matter.

Well, like I said think what you want. I personally would take a 5150 over the 2c+ for everything other than lead tones. And even then, they are both great for leads I think, it’s a matter of taste. Again, everything you said is an opinion, just like everything I said is an opinion. But I can tell you that amp never beat out anything else in that studio for heavy rhythm tones. I’d say those guys know great guitar tones. And there was nothing wrong with it, their tech was the head tech at full sail university Keith Andrews, who was also the head engineer on carcass’s heartwork. The guy works on everything from SSL consoles to effect pedals.

For what it’s worth, the 2 Mark IIIs I owned were like a bad copy of a C+. Harsh in the mids/highs, smeared in comparison to a C+. Maybe they were just bad examples?

For what it’s worth, the 2 Mark IIIs I owned were like a bad copy of a C+. Harsh in the mids/highs, smeared in comparison to a C+. Maybe they were just bad examples?
Ya, they are not all created equally. Part tolerances and such. Mesa were known for changing cap and resistor values all the time in the same amplifiers, so no two IIC+, III or IV heads sound quite the same.

Ya, but it doesn't have the big fat low end of a rev G or F recto? It's basically just a SLO with a different power-amp, ya know?? which does change it's sound quite a bit. Look at the schematic of the rev C rectifier.
So, on a F or G Triple I can only get the lows up to 11-12pm before it’s too much. By comparison, this C in Orange/Modern I can get the lows up to 4pm before it’s too much. But it’s still fairly tight vs the F/G that gets kinda boomy. That’s where the wall of sound is on those amps…the C can get a bit of that wall but not the whole thing. I do find some similarity to a boosted SLO in the mids/Highs but the lows are completely different. Orange vintage high gain is insanely good and closer yet to an SLO but again with different lows. It’s to me the perfect Mesa/Marshall hybrid….vintage high gain is more Marshall with some Mesa, Orange Modern is all Mesa with a splash of Marshall. The clarity is on the C+ level too. It’s hard to dial any harshness with it. Lead tone is far better than any F or G, boosted, that I’ve played.

Ya, they are not all created equally. Part tolerances and such. Mesa were known for changing cap and resistor values all the time in the same amplifiers, so no two IIC+, III or IV heads sound quite the same.

Maybe so, but that’s true with everything. The only truly “scientific” test I’ve ever done was with my rev F. I have a very late rev F, got a friend with a rev F in the 700s, very early. Putting the exact same tubes in them from one of the amps and double tracking a DI track for consistency, they were as consistent as anything I’ve ever found. I was listening on an incredible monitoring system, and I could not hear a difference between them. I mean I was realllly trying to hear a difference, and there wasn’t one, minus that mine seemed a hair ( and I mean barely audible) less dry… maybe. I wouldn’t be surprised if they nulled down to a pretty wild number to be honest.

Maybe so, but that’s true with everything. The only truly “scientific” test I’ve ever done was with my rev F. I have a very late rev F, got a friend with a rev F in the 700s, very early. Putting the exact same tubes in them from one of the amps and double tracking a DI track for consistency, they were as consistent as anything I’ve ever found. I was listening on an incredible monitoring system, and I could not hear a difference between them. I mean I was realllly trying to hear a difference, and there wasn’t one, minus that mine seemed a hair ( and I mean barely audible) less dry… maybe. I wouldn’t be surprised if they nulled down to a pretty wild number to be honest.
That's not true with everything, some amps, you look inside from one amp to the next and it's an exact copy right down to the cap/resistor value and brand. I think Mesa is more like this these days, but back in the 70 - 90's Mesa would use different parts, values, brands of parts in the same amplifiers. This was a common thing... in the 90's it was more dependant on the year of production and what they had lying around at a specific time.

That's not true with everything, some amps, you look inside from one amp to the next and it's an exact copy right down to the cap/resistor value and brand. I think Mesa is more like this these days, but back in the 70 - 90's Mesa would use different parts, values, brands of parts in the same amplifiers. This was a common thing.

Listen to the test….

I meant In regards to part tolerances mostly, I should have specified.

@anomaly in fact here ya go, I found them. Rev F test. Same exact tubes, same exact settings, volume matched, same DI etc. as consistent as you can get. No eq at all, nothing. 2 different riffs in each of these, second riff at the end. different tunings etc.

https://on.soundcloud.com/5WV79RXTmCpmGksQ6

https://on.soundcloud.com/WFhrDvCF5EPnEzaTA
They'd have to be A/B'd right in the same clip for me to really analyze those clips properly, but they are close for sure. Pretty thin sounding for a recto though. Plus there are a lot of details that are lost when recording, you should know this.

I used to have a bunch of Randall RG100ES heads, and each one sounded a bit different, but when I put a mic in front of them, it became really hard to notice any differences between them.

Last edited:
They'd have to be A/B'd right in the same clip for me to really analyze those clips properly, but they are close for sure. Pretty thin sounding for a recto though.

Yes, that’s the nature of the track for sure. Listening on your phone isn’t going to help though either if you are.

Back