Here comes the SLO pedal

That's fair, but the notion that it is in any way close to the amp is what makes me laugh. Because it isn't even close from what I have heard.
You're making statements based on videos where you don't get to play it, or dial it in for yourself, hear it in the room, etc. You can laugh all you want, but until you try it for yourself, I don't know how you can take your own opinion seriously. This is not a comment made out of ill will, btw. I just don't get the logic here.

If anyone is interested, I did a 4 way short comparison of the SLO Pedal, the SLO Mini, The Synerghy SLO Module and Syn 30 and my 100 Watt Avenger in a live stream today.

for those saying "it's not anywhere CLOSE", can't say I agree with you. And yes, I know the Avenger isn't the SLO, but they are very very close to each other and I think the pedal through a solid state power amp came way closer than many would expect. I think people come to their conclusions based on their own pre conceived notions and no amount of contrary information will change their mind.

Price seems reasonable for what you get but for that price range there are a shit ton of other choices I might prefer over it . Not a huge Soldano fan.

Never have been and never will be. I can tell that is your perception, but it is purely that. Your perception.

I will keep doing exactly what I do as I have always done it. Most people see that my reviews are always my honest opinion, and I'm not afraid to point out things that I personally don't like about a product. I may not take a wet hot shit all over a product, as I don't really believe in that. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean that it sucks, which is how I see a lot of people's thought process here and all over the guitar community works. Different tools for different jobs and different musicians. Unless the product is a joke, or suffers from serious issues that prevents it from being usable, I'll try to find the good in it as well as the bad.

I always stipulate that companies can not alter or filter my review, nor can they see it before it's posted. I don't demo a piece of gear if the company sending it doesn't agree to these terms. People like to throw YouTube content creators in the guitar community into a bucket together as lying paid shills, selling their souls for a paycheck. Sure, there are some who may do this, but blanket statements and a cynical viewpoint are on you, not on the community.

Also, I don't need these companies to send me gear for my channel to continue on and keep growing. I'm able to get my hands on whatever I need by my own means. But I do like working with companies and building relationships within the industry in order to get access to new stuff before it comes out, or opportunities that may not have been there if I didn't work directly with them. But again, those opportunities will never come with a paycheck in exchange for my honesty. It's not how I roll and I value my integrity and the audience's trust in me more than a few dollars.

Good, because i like your channel. I just want to make sure you stay on the level. But really, who am i. Just a dude with an opinion. I personally wish there were more reviews that crapped on less than stellar products a bit more but I get that a company isn't going to send someone gear if they are " too" honest too often as well. I still think this pedal sounds like shit though but your demo was def. one of the few that made it sound ok.

Reactions: ccn
You're making statements based on videos where you don't get to play it, or dial it in for yourself, hear it in the room, etc. You can laugh all you want, but until you try it for yourself, I don't know how you can take your own opinion seriously. This is not a comment made out of ill will, btw. I just don't get the logic here.

I think it is experience. It is the conjested mids, splatty lows , and the general boxiness that I have come to learn and know with my ears. Hey listen, I don't mind being proven wrong if I ever find one cheap enough. Until then, I think my ears know what they like and know the difference between pedal and amp. ( modelers harder to tell obviously) but no offence taken, we are just a bunch of dudes shooting the shit on the forum.

remembers.png

I always stipulate that companies can not alter or filter my review, nor can they see it before it's posted. I don't demo a piece of gear if the company sending it doesn't agree to these terms. People like to throw YouTube content creators in the guitar community into a bucket together as lying paid shills, selling their souls for a paycheck. Sure, there are some who may do this, but blanket statements and a cynical viewpoint are on you, not on the community.

Right on Kyle. I enjoy your demos.

Keep it up brother. :cheers2:

If anyone is interested, I did a 4 way short comparison of the SLO Pedal, the SLO Mini, The Synerghy SLO Module and Syn 30 and my 100 Watt Avenger in a live stream today.

for those saying "it's not anywhere CLOSE", can't say I agree with you. And yes, I know the Avenger isn't the SLO, but they are very very close to each other and I think the pedal through a solid state power amp came way closer than many would expect. I think people come to their conclusions based on their own pre conceived notions and no amount of contrary information will change their mind.

Watched your shorter video, sounded good used as a preamp. Have you tried it front of amp, like the Anderton's video?

Watched your shorter video, sounded good used as a preamp. Have you tried it front of amp, like the Anderton's video?
Haven't gone that route yet, but of course, that will yield massively different results depending on the am it's going into. A full clean preamp plus a power amp will color the tone of the pedal a lot more than just a power amp. I'm sure some amps will sound killer with it, and some will sound awful.

For record though, my favorite tones I ever got from the Friedman BE-OD were when I put it into the front lo gain input of my Peavy Butcher. It just worked really well, for whatever reason

Thanks for doing this comparison video . I put a clean boost in the loop of the SLO mini and it does help to fatten up the tone a bit

Haven't gone that route yet, but of course, that will yield massively different results depending on the am it's going into. A full clean preamp plus a power amp will color the tone of the pedal a lot more than just a power amp. I'm sure some amps will sound killer with it, and some will sound awful.

For record though, my favorite tones I ever got from the Friedman BE-OD were when I put it into the front lo gain input of my Peavy Butcher. It just worked really well, for whatever reason

I currently have the BE-OD Deluxe and going into the low gain input of my VTM (all switches off) is the best sound I get from it and it's awesome. It is a distortion pedal. Yes, it can be run like a preamp, but it just doesn't have the same eq as a legit preamp. Pretty much why running distortion pedals like a preamp you have to crank the highs so much. Same thing the other way around. If you run a legit/designed to be a preamp in front of a clean amp you really need to bring the highs down dramatically on the preamp. The Ceres preamp pedal for example. Designed to be a legit preamp. I have run it into the front end of a few amps and it sounds pretty damn good IF I bring the treble down to like 8 O'clock. Another great example is the AMT 2 series. It has a separate out jack for Drive (distortion pedal in front of amp) or Preamp Out to be used into a power amp. If you go from the Preamp Out into the front end of a clean amp it's incredibly bright and harsh sounding. Yet it you use the Drive out with the same exact eq setting on the pedal and go into the front end of the amp it sounds "proper". I mean we can use gear any way we want and all hear things differently so I guess whatever floats our own individual boat.
My SLO pedal is Out For Delivery right now. I probably won't be able to play it until tomorrow though. Can't wait.

I am just thinking that most will be running the SLO pedal FOA, versus as the preamp. Totally agree that it makes a massive difference. Glad you pointed out how you were running it in the shorter video.

Not sure if you are familiar with the tubesteader preamp pedals, but on the forums, most seem to be running their 'dumble' beekeeper pedal front of amp versus as a preamp.

Using the SLO pedal as a preamp is an intriguing idea, but not sure how well it would work with my direct setup. Currently running a Kingsley Squire Blackface tube preamp into a Two notes Cabm to the PA. I could put the SLO pedal in a looper and switch out the Squire for the SLO for a gain channel, but not sure that I wouldn't have to change the power and IR on the cabm when I did that.

Thorn chimed in on the TGP thread, advising them to use this pedal into the front end and not the effects loop. When I had my GTO pedals, they didn't like the loop, either.

Reactions: ccn
I currently have the BE-OD Deluxe and going into the low gain input of my VTM (all switches off) is the best sound I get from it and it's awesome. It is a distortion pedal. Yes, it can be run like a preamp, but it just doesn't have the same eq as a legit preamp. Pretty much why running distortion pedals like a preamp you have to crank the highs so much. Same thing the other way around. If you run a legit/designed to be a preamp in front of a clean amp you really need to bring the highs down dramatically on the preamp. The Ceres preamp pedal for example. Designed to be a legit preamp. I have run it into the front end of a few amps and it sounds pretty damn good IF I bring the treble down to like 8 O'clock. Another great example is the AMT 2 series. It has a separate out jack for Drive (distortion pedal in front of amp) or Preamp Out to be used into a power amp. If you go from the Preamp Out into the front end of a clean amp it's incredibly bright and harsh sounding. Yet it you use the Drive out with the same exact eq setting on the pedal and go into the front end of the amp it sounds "proper". I mean we can use gear any way we want and all hear things differently so I guess whatever floats our own individual boat.
My SLO pedal is Out For Delivery right now. I probably won't be able to play it until tomorrow though. Can't wait.
Looking forward to a review from someone not being paid to review/demo one. (y)

Agree on the BE-OD. I run mine into a JCM800 low input and it sounds great. Lotsa tones possible in that configuration !

Does it really bother people that guys with real channels get paid to do a demo? Does the reviewer really change one’s opinion on if something sounds good or not?? I really don’t want any talking during a demo and I usually make up my own mind what sounds good or not so I’m confused

I don't like any talking either but that's rarely the case , the reviewer often talks way way too much . I just want to hear the device ALONE with NO other sounds in the background . I also want to hear it with max gain and a humbucker equipped guitar.

I don't get anything out of reviews that test high gain pedals with just a single coil guitar . The review was a pretty good one since he only used a humbucker equipped guitar but I must admit I wasn't blown away by this pedal .

Back