Welcome to today's episode of Tim Henson on Guitar

This seems eerily familiar. Is another another "anti skill" trend coming (grunge chased off shred and over produced slick late 80's formula rock so don't laugh, it can happen)? IF this type of playing and "music" is the future of guitar, at some point a bunch of artists are gonna say "Enough of this. There's too many notes that say very little, too much flash with music that has no real meat on its bones, we need to reboot and go back to basics."
From the deepest caverns of interwebz forums, I will be the one who will take us back to the basics of rock music.

This seems eerily familiar. Is another another "anti skill" trend coming (grunge chased off shred and over produced slick late 80's formula rock so don't laugh, it can happen)? IF this type of playing and "music" is the future of guitar, at some point a bunch of artists are gonna say "Enough of this. There's too many notes that say very little, too much flash with music that has no real meat on its bones, we need to reboot and go back to basics."
OIP.jpg

I don’t know if grunge was ever anti-skill? Think it was more anti 1985 guy.

Couldn't agree more.
Guitar world needs more of this.
headbanging_waynes_world.gif

Wish I had one of these from the time I first started!

Lots of evolution of asthetic style along with the playing.

My best friend found some 8MM tapes of us jamming in his basement when we were 16 when I thought I was Steve Vai. While it’s nostalgic and fun to see, I can’t help but shaking my head and wishing they didn’t exist….so I did the smart thing and edited the clips to just the parts where I’m playing horribly out of key and uploaded them to YouTube. :LOL:

I used to learn the solos note for note using a A-B looper on my CD player, but I’d never practice them after I learned them and knew zero theory, so once I’d forget how they went, I’d just make shit up. 16 years old + ”I’ve been playing to a metronome practicing 16’s nonstop but don’t know what fucking notes to play” = the above.

Aint nuthin' wrong with that clip! ^^^

I hope you saved that Ibanez banner?! That fucker would be hanging in my home studio or garage at least (I think they still make fine guitars, don't care what anyone says).

Aint nuthin' wrong with that clip! ^^^

I hope you saved that Ibanez banner?! That fucker would be hanging in my home studio or garage at least (I think they still make fine guitars, don't care what anyone says).

My buddy (drummer) still has it. His father owned a music store back then, Mainely Drumz in Lewiston, ME. His dad did it at the behest of us and basically said “You guys tell me what to order and I’ll do it”, we immediately pushed to become a Hoshino dealer due to my Vai love and buddy’s Lars love. That’s why he’s playing a fucking giant Tama Granstar set with every badass cymbal imaginable on a $2200 rack. :ROFLMAO: (He still has 3 of them, all huge double bass kits, a white one and a pink one as well).

Towards the end of high school those walls were lined with banners like that. You could barely move in there once we got a full size (I mean full….two 2x18 sub bins and 2 huge columns that barely fit) PA in there and I added two 4x12’s to the Legacy head I had. High school fucking owned. We used to mic EVERYTHING and put it through that PA then jam until 4AM every night, his parents never said a word.

And I still love Ibanez, but my days of buying a new Ibanez are long over. Prices are out of control when I can still find MIJ 90’s RG’s for $500-$600. Still have my JEM, that’s been my baby since ‘97.

Dude's making good use of the money he's earning.

He knows his room acoustics.
He definitely got all that stuff for free. Notice how in one of those videos he takes a moment to thank the company and show his gratitude. Henson would not stop and thank each company so warmly unless it was all free.

He has tons of subs (both personally and his band) and is known as the new guitar hero. Companies will give him whatever he wants because it’s great advertising for them. Their gear is instantly seen by millions of people, and their hero is using said gear. They are getting advertising for the price of the gear they give him. In the past it would cost a lot more than the gear to be seen by that many people, and, it’s people seeing it who would actually buy it rather than the public in general. Hell, that girl on YouTube who can barely play (with enormous chest hanging out over her guitar) is now getting amps, guitars, pedals, strings, everything for free. Her boobs got her close to a million subs in about a year. She is being flown to NAMM to demo gear!! Hahahaha!! It’s amazing. Social media has changed everything. At least Henson absolutely kills on guitar, the dude can straight up play his ass off. He has some clever techniques and came up with his own style. Now there are a ton of guys who copy him and emulate his style. But as far as being the new Hendrix, I don’t know if I would go that far. Think of Hendrix IN 1966 BLOWING THE GUITAR WORLD and MUSIC AS A WHOLE WIDE OPEN!! Clapton, Townsend, Page, and Beck were soiling themselves. 1966!!!!!! Think of the rest of the music world at that point!!! My god!!!! But, Henson can play his ass off. The whole anime style thing is kind of weird, but you can’t blame the dude for taking everything he can get from all the companies he can get gear from.

I saw a video about him pimping his ride. That’s probably what he spends his cash on as most of his gear is free. His house also.

He's all about the money too, and using his media trolling skills to get more attention and money. the tats, the looks, the clothes, the statements, etc., all part of a character actor playing his part.

He's intentionally playing up his androgynous anime looks and clothes, making comments about not playing in a metal band because they don't make much money while claiming Polyphia is a metal band, etc. and getting gen x and boomers disdain making his appeal to younger audiences greater.

Playing the music game to win, early 21st century.

shake your money maker.

He's intentionally playing up his androgynous anime looks and clothes.

It's obvious he's been searching for the best market fit if you watch the video of him ages 10 thru 28.
He's got a completely different visual thing going on in almost every section.

Reactions: rsm
Back