My Vintage 30 pile - Where is the line between enthusiasm and insanity?

I intend to reamp a couple of riffs and using room eq wizard to make some graphs. Might make IRs too

You got access to a sine wave generator?
Be cool to see a 20Hz - 20KHz sweep of each speaker taken and then a composite graph.

Something like this.

AudioTechnica_ATHM50_Graph_FRCompare.jpg

You got access to a sine wave generator?
Be cool to see a 20Hz - 20KHz sweep of each speaker taken and then a composite graph.

Something like this.

AudioTechnica_ATHM50_Graph_FRCompare.jpg
I believe this is one of the things room eq wizard does but I'll be the first to admit that I am no expert in this field.
Which is one of the reasons why I posted here. If anyone has advice or suggestions, I'm open to it because I'm only doing this shit once so I might as well do it right.

If there is one, I am too far away from it to see it.

Preparing to shoot over 50 V30s out with each other to find out what parameters really make the difference.
Production facility, production year, OEM version, luck?
I hate myself alreadyView attachment 185512
dude WOW.
curious as to your opinion on the current V30's (Fricker's claim of the transparent dust cap? vs the 2006 versions vs 2000-2002)
any opinions on Nolly's V30 opinions?

That is one of the rare times I watched a Fricker video, and I noticed and commented that even his new V30s sounded way different from each other.

So if there is any new magic sauce they still are not consistent.

dude WOW.
curious as to your opinion on the current V30's (Fricker's claim of the transparent dust cap? vs the 2006 versions vs 2000-2002)
any opinions on Nolly's V30 opinions?
That is the exact reason why I bought two brand new ones.
I found it weird that Glenn quoted the early 2000 V30s as the holy grail and then compared the new ones to a 2007 (I believe - it's been a while since I saw the video).
I'm also going to record the two new ones, hope they are very similar to each other, put one aside and reamp the living shit out of the other and compare them again once every week or so to see if the tone shifts on the beaten one. Once it does I am going to start reamping the shit out of the other one for the same time to see if they drift closer to each other again. I want to record speaker break in.

I like Nollys take. It makes a lot of sense to me. I have great respect for Nolly. He is a killer player, killer producer, tone monster and even his bald head has a better shape than my bald head, yet he is super humble.
I nerded out with him in the comment section of that video

The way it's done in production when a new speaker is introduced is they will build a small batch - say 50 - then sweep each
one to find the BMA unit. Best match to average. Usually you take the 3 closest to average and one goes to QC, one to the test
booth, and then one gets stored away for future reference.

Take the BMA unit and run a curve. Then you make a pass/fail window of however many +/-dBs are allowed.
Usually it'll be +/- 2dB in the main operating range and then most likely +/- 3dB at the upper and lower ends.

The most important thing for your test is eliminate all variables other than the speaker. Your best bet would be not to use a mic
and instead electrically record a frequency sweep plot. You don't need a cab for this either.

EDIT: this is wrong. you'll need a mic for Fr but not for an Impedance curve. You do not need a cab for either test.

Is this the Wizard you have?

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
Yes. That is the tool I am talking about

Are you the dude that did the v30 vid of that one really shitty sounding marshall vintage speaker? You tried to get a good tone out of it.

Are you the dude that did the v30 vid of that one really shitty sounding marshall vintage speaker? You tried to get a good tone out of it.
Me? No. I'm fairly new to making videos and so far they've been focused on amps but I've been wanting to do this test for years

Last edited:
when that fricker video came out I emailed the rep for celestion, the one that posts on forums, and he stated there has been no changes to the manufacture.. the differences are just due to tolerances and maybe a bad paper run etc...

when that fricker video came out I emailed the rep for celestion, the one that posts on forums, and he stated there has been no changes to the manufacture.. the differences are just due to tolerances and maybe a bad paper run etc...
yeah i think i saw that on the comments section and/or TGP.....

I have two v30 equipped 4x12s, I have one in a recording 4x12 with other speakers and a couple others laying around, I have no clue when or where any of them were made, I never really wondered cause they all sound like v30s to me. Like how does an obsession like this start? V30s are cool and all but not that cool lol

I have two v30 equipped 4x12s, I have one in a recording 4x12 with other speakers and a couple others laying around, I have no clue when or where any of them were made, I never really wondered cause they all sound like v30s to me. Like how does an obsession like this start? V30s are cool and all but not that cool lol
1. I am an obsessive lunatic

2. All the myths and baseless claims about the V30 always bothered me. If the same machines, materials and processes are used, it should not matter if the speaker is made in China or in England but I also had nothing to back up my claim so I decided I wanted to prove it through means of testing because I used to be a test engineer.
Pretty soon into my research I found out I was getting more than I had bargained for as there seem to be a lot of possible parameters that influence the nuances... but I already committed myself to the test because

3. I am an obsessive lunatic

Back