My Vintage 30 pile - Where is the line between enthusiasm and insanity?

I was considering ordering 2 new Mesa V30s for my 2x12 cab because I really dig the York Audio Mesa 2x12 cab IRs. But then I realized the speakers used in the IR are 70 watt V30s from I don't know when. Has anyone tried any newer Mesa V30s and liked them? Or am I better off looking at the Jensen Jets series.
That's just a power rating they gave the speakers, when actually they all handle the same amount of watts. Probably closer to 70, but they rate them as 60 to be on the safe side I think?? Tonally, there's no difference.

I have 13 Vintage 30. Some going back to the 80's. 5 of them Mesa.
Each individual speaker sounds different and all of them sound good.
I've got 8 that are all 2006 and 2007 speakers and they got hundreds of hours on them. There's no 5 - 6K spike on these speakers at all, they're all very smooth actually. That's why I want to know if speaker break in darkens speakers because from that time period they typically should be very bright and maybe a bit harsh sounding?? Well, I guess there are always exceptions too.

I've got 8 that are all 2006 and 2007 speakers and they got hundreds of hours on them. There's no 5 - 6K spike on these speakers at all, they're all very smooth actually. That's why I want to know if speaker break in darkens speakers because from that time period they typically should be very bright and maybe a bit harsh sounding?? Well, I guess there are always exceptions too.
I've seen a handful of individuals talk about it. I haven't noticed it myself. There is a lot of variables in a rig.

I shall do my best to find out!

I was considering ordering 2 new Mesa V30s for my 2x12 cab because I really dig the York Audio Mesa 2x12 cab IRs. But then I realized the speakers used in the IR are 70 watt V30s from I don't know when. Has anyone tried any newer Mesa V30s and liked them? Or am I better off looking at the Jensen Jets series.
I run a couple of 2005 T4416 parallel in my Zinky 2x12 and love it better than two Sept. 1993 UK V30’s that came from Bruce’s private stash!

The guy from Jenson says as a speaker ages/"break-in" it allows the speaker to more efficiently produce mostly more lows and mids.
I have watched a video that supposedly used the exact same speaker and recorded it brand new vs aged with all things equal, but I can't find the video now.

You'd think Avatar Speakers would have a demo video of their aged v30s/hellatones60 vs a brand new v30.

The guy from Jenson says as a speaker ages/"break-in" it allows the speaker to more efficiently produce mostly more lows and mids.
I have watched a video that supposedly used the exact same speaker and recorded it brand new vs aged with all things equal, but I can't find the video now.

You'd think Avatar Speakers would have a demo video of their aged v30s/hellatones60 vs a brand new v30.
See and that's where I am scratching my head because apart from the high mids, the mids and low end were pretty much bang on the same on all the speakers. Some had maybe up to 2 dB less in the area between 40 and 130 Hz but those were not the new speakers. That seemed to be down to random tolerance. Then again, depending on the production methods speakers from different companies might have different break in characteristics. A Celestions break in pattern might be different to that of a Jensen, different to that of an Eminece, Fane, WGS and so on

John I think you should plug in a few different speakers other than a V30 and compare the results. If I understand correctly the cab has a huge effect on the bass. More than the rest of the range. I would be curious what similarities and differences result ?

John I think you should plug in a few different speakers other than a V30 and compare the results. If I understand correctly the cab has a huge effect on the bass. More than the rest of the range. I would be curious what similarities and differences result ?
OS Vs Trad 4x12 config would be most relevant to all our interests in all likelihood. A poll is needed.

Anyone got a T4335 they can spare to sell? I need one for tracking. It'll go in a Rivera TAC-112 most likely and I will post clips as songs get done. :)

Since much to my surprise, people seemed to enjoy the main video, I made another one for the exotic/special edition Vintage 30 that I cut out of the first video.

I used to have a set of Relic 30's (which I suspected were rebranded Vintage 30MF's because they had the flat/dark dustcap and the silver frame).

I found them unusably dark, TBH. Kinda like those terrible Swamp Thangs or Texas Heats that have like no tone at all.

1686181851961.png

At the time, that combo was alright. The super bright Creambacks complimented the mega dark Relics. They sounded good in the room.

But mic'ing up either was a nighmare. Either super brittle tone from the Creambacks or super muddy tone from the Relics. The Creambacks were workable, though. The Relics were not.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm on the hunt for a quad of older Mesa V30s. (Edit, goal reached)

Last edited:
Back