My Vintage 30 pile - Where is the line between enthusiasm and insanity?

the other John Browne

If there is one, I am too far away from it to see it.

Preparing to shoot over 50 V30s out with each other to find out what parameters really make the difference.
Production facility, production year, OEM version, luck?
I hate myself already
DSC09740.JPG

I expect them all to vary to an extent. The question is how much. Is the difference between two V30s from 2002 of the same magnitude as the difference between one V30 from 2002 and one from 2018?
I'm going to reamp some tracks through all of them in an iso cab and also generate frequency graphs.

This is what I want to analyze,

I have 13 speakers pairs that either have the exact same production date or were made in the same year at least. I want to compare them using the reamped tracks and using the frequency response graphs. What I am hoping to find is that they don’t differ to each other too much within the individual pairs.

Next I want to compare the standard 8 Ohm T3903 throughout the years 1986, 1991, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2016, 2018, 2017, 2019 and 2023 and see if there is a noticeable difference throughout its 30+ years of production.

Then I want to compare 8 and 16 Ohm Vintage 30s of the same production year to see if there is a noticeable difference between the voice coil impedances.

After that I want to compare Marshall, Mesa and Bad Cat OEM versions to standard V30s from the same production year to try and find out what the defining characteristics of the OEM versions are if there are any.

And if the differences from these test groups doesn't appear to be completely random at this point, I might shoot some of the exotics (V30 MF, T1777 cone V30s, blacl frames) out against regular V30s from the same year with the same impedance.

Worst case, I prove there are no good or bad yeara but the production tolerances are massive and it's luck of the draw with speakers

Woa. You planning on testing in a 1x12 each? Or wiring batches up in a 4x12? I can't imagine how much time that would take, power to you man!

If there is one, I am too far away from it to see it.

Preparing to shoot over 50 V30s out with each other to find out what parameters really make the difference.
Production facility, production year, OEM version, luck?
I hate myself alreadyView attachment 185512
You should have just asked the speaker wizard, he who knows all about speakers, racerxrated. Dude drops knowledge.

I expect them all to vary to an extent. The question is how much. Is the difference between two V30s from 2002 of the same magnitude as the difference between one V30 from 2002 and one from 2018?
I'm going to reamp some tracks through all of them in an iso cab and also generate frequency graphs.

This is what I want to analyze,

I have 13 speakers pairs that either have the exact same production date or were made in the same year at least. I want to compare them using the reamped tracks and using the frequency response graphs. What I am hoping to find is that they don’t differ to each other too much within the individual pairs.

Next I want to compare the standard 8 Ohm T3903 throughout the years 1986, 1991, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2016, 2018, 2017, 2019 and 2023 and see if there is a noticeable difference throughout its 30+ years of production.

Then I want to compare 8 and 16 Ohm Vintage 30s of the same production year to see if there is a noticeable difference between the voice coil impedances.

After that I want to compare Marshall, Mesa and Bad Cat OEM versions to standard V30s from the same production year to try and find out what the defining characteristics of the OEM versions are if there are any.

And if the differences from these test groups doesn't appear to be completely random at this point, I might shoot some of the exotics (V30 MF, T1777 cone V30s, blacl frames) out against regular V30s from the same year with the same impedance.

Worst case, I prove there are no good or bad yeara but the production tolerances are massive and it's luck of the draw with speakers
Do you have every version? My fav is by far the first version, mid-late 80s Marshall Vintage 8 ohm T3896....not as bright as the following 16 ohm 1991 versions. I have a 1988 JCM 800 slant with them. Killer.

Back