Specs: must/must not haves

Basic double cut or single cut bodies only. Can’t stand the goofy explorer, V, star, etc bodies. Also normal looking headstocks like Gibson, PRS, fender/Charvel, or banana. Won‘t buy a headless, pointy, or those silly Wolfgang’s with the bite out of it. And no solid painted guitars, I need to see the wood. Stains, dyes, or clears.

Nut width can't get any bigger than a Fender (42.8mm), even an Ibanez (43mm) feels massive to me. Unfortunately Gibsons (42mm) I don't like the string spacing as much as it feels too crowded.

I've been wanting to build a partscaster but Warmoth only does 42 and 43 mm nut widths, nothing in between :(
You should look for a Charvel Striped EVH Artist.
They are narrow, but the fret work is garbage.

Volume knob too close to the bridge... unless it's on a pick guard that I can swap out.

1 5/8" nut width.

7.5" radius.

Everything else is fine with me.

I can’t do razor thin necks. I can’t bar chord on them and I also can’t bend thicker gauge strings on them.

I actually prefer baseball bat 59 style necks these days. More control everywhere and bar chords don’t hurt my hand.

I hate volumes by the bridge pickup - my pinky hits them.

I hate pickguards. I don’t care if they’re vintage unobtainium, I’ll remove them and never install them again.

I hate neck through guitars but tolerate set necks like gibsons. I prefer bolt ons with a carved heel.

I like floyd original floating trems or Nashville style stop tails but hate absolutely anything else especially a telecaster.

I don’t like thin, wide necks.

I don’t like a nut width larger than 1 11/16.

Any radius flatter than 12” only belongs on the upper frets.

I never use a tone knob on an all humbucker equipped guitar, but it’s essential on one with singles - ESPECIALLY if it’s HSS.

I used to hate all single coil bridge pickups, but I have come to love good telecaster bridge pickups. Most tele neck single coils suck though. They’re dull and kinda lifeless. Twisted Tele neck pickup is one of the few that actually sounds good.

I was also in the anti-trem camp for a long while but I’ve come to appreciate having a trem equipped strat or two or three around.

Similarly I got sick of EMGs a long time ago and wouldn’t consider a guitar that had them forever, but now I’m loving them again.

I ordered an Ibanez S540Ah yesterday. I need it like a hole in the head and it has a few fuck no items for me. Has a trem, volume knob is a bit close to the bridge, nickel frets. I tried one at sam ash over the weekend and had fun with it.

I ordered it from zzounds on the 12 pay plan and as I was ordering I thought about this thread and laughed to myself. I guess I should say never say never. I figured this guitar will stay in E and be my widdly widdly guitar.

- No chambered Les Pauls. Chambers are fine. Just not with an LP.
- Teles have to be a plank with no carves and have a 3 saddle bridge.
- Elixer strings. Been using them so long other strings don't feel right.
- No fret markers. Find the fretboard face ones visually distracting.

There’s only 2 specs I don’t get on with; a 7.25” radius and tiny, vintage frets. Those two on the same guitar is a pile of “Fuck that” once those frets start wearing down. Outside of that I dig the differences in guitars, even the things people these days find prohibiting; LP neck joints, Strat controls, older Ibanez neck joints, etc. I enjoy how some of those things make me approach the guitar differently.

12"-14" Radius. Smaller is fine on the first few frets if it's a compound neck. 1 11/16 nut width and larger frets. Neck shapes and sizes around a 60's slim taper and modern c. That's about it for me.

I find I prefer:

Rosewood fretboards
Humbuckers
Set necks
Prefer single bridge pup, but will suffer with two, lol
Any guitar P90 or SC, I want single pup
I like a wraptail bridge, but will take ABR-1

Afraid of Floyd...

Afraid of Floyd...

floyd_63193665097191.gif

Hate big baseball bat '59 LP necks.

Hate recessed Floyd Roses.

Not a fan of compound radius fingerboards.

Finally learned I prefer rosewood fingerboards.

Back