Metallica "Sad but True" on Howard Stern

Proper ...
To be fair they've accomplished some of the best heavy tones ever recorded.
Nothing stays great forever i suppose.

I saw this aire in 1991 and was blown away because every other act on that show was lame af.

That was a great live. . . Entersandman wss so fresh at the time and was great

Man y’all are nuts… yes it’s about 5bpm too slow but who cares. You are hearing it direct right off the board, I’d bet money that sounded sick af in the room. You can hear the weight in every instrument, every drum. Guaranteed that would’ve been sick if you can get past it being slow.
Nonsense...what are you on about? We're a group of forum-dwellers who know how Metallica songs should be played way better than that Hetfield guy ever could. Get with the program dude.

Proper ...
To be fair they've accomplished some of the best heavy tones ever recorded.
Nothing stays great forever i suppose.

I saw this aire in 1991 and was blown away because every other act on that show was lame af.

This is certainly better but they were in their prime and full of piss and vinegar and testosterone... I do miss that version of them!

The OP Stern video is dated 9/10/21
That was last week and yes Met doesn't use tube amps live anymore because the Axe is more consistent and easier to dial in venue to venue.

I thought the reference was to the Wembley Stadium clip.
Pretty sure they've been using the Axe as #1 for at least the last few tours.

sounds as good as it's gonna get at this point i guess
it's a slow tune so lars is actually able to play it but yet the dude has no real pocket or groove......ever

I thought the reference was to the Wembley Stadium clip.
Pretty sure they've been using the Axe as #1 for at least the last few tours.
Yes thats correct the Wembley vid was 1991.
I still prefer and always will tube amps but i don't tour like Met.
I get that they don't want the hassle of dealing with tube amps live.

I get that they don't want the hassle of dealing with tube amps live.

It's going to be the norm pretty soon.
Imagine you don't bring anything but your guitar to a gig.
The house supplies a QC that's already wired to the PA and monitors
and all you do is log in and upload your personal cloud database into it.

As soon as both Knopfler and Metheny started gigging with digital a few years back
I figured that it would kinda make it hard to use digital tone/feel as an excuse anymore.

The house supplies a QC that's already wired to the PA and monitors
and all you do is log in and upload your personal cloud database into it.

As soon as both Knopfler and Metheny started gigging with digital a few years back
I figured that it would kinda make it hard to use digital tone/feel as an excuse anymore.
Been trending that way here the last 10 years.

Just so I'm clear; the original drummer in the biggest hard rock band EVER has NEVER had any grove or ability to be in the pocket? Ever?? God Lord, the retardation on this board still amazes me even after all these years.

Drummers have been saying that about Lars forever.

Last edited:
That stern clip was painful for me. Sounds like they tuned down further yet James voice cracks and seems that he sings in a slightly higher pitch than he used. It seemed slow as well. I love listening to master, justice, and the black album and love watching the old clips, especially the binge and purge videos but I cant watch them live anymore. Same with G'N'R. Once my absolute favorite band and I cant watch them anymore. I saw them once back in the day and as much as I love live music, I just cant go see them again, it hurts...

This is actually my dream. I love my tube amps, I love cranked up fat thick harmonic tones. But literally 90% of any gig anxiety I have ever had is due to fear of bad power/malfunctioning tubes/ crazy shit. It's sad that all these years, my performance and playing in front of people have taken a back seat in worry as compared to something bad happening gear wise. I am ready to leave it all behind.

Think about it this way. Both Metallica and GnR ruled the world back in 1990.

Joe Montana beat John Elway in the Super Bowl that year.
Anyone willing to pay money to see them play today?

They're pros and all but I'm trying to imagine how inspired I'd be if I were playing in a studio to Howard Stern...with shitty tone. Now add cameras. :scared:

And I'm pretty sure they didn't have Fractals in their loops in 1991. :LOL:

They're pros and all but I'm trying to imagine how inspired I'd be if I were playing in a studio to Howard Stern...with shitty tone. Now add cameras. :scared:

And I'm pretty sure they didn't have Fractals in their loops in 1991. :LOL:
giphy.gif

Sounds like something you see a Doctor for : "Doc i have a Fractal in my loop"

Great reply! You won the internet today! Again, the drummer for the largest hard rock band EVER has never been able to grove. Not once. Just stupid. Fucking stupid. I've never claimed he was the next coming of Bill Ward, but holy shit, no grove/pocket awareness at all? And I'm the deaf one. 😱 I'm sure not being in the pocket for Battery or Fight Fire was fine, or not groving during Fuel or Turn the Page didnt cause any issues at all. All the time changes in One? Ta'hell with them, just beat away, all is good! Go

Back