How do you tell your wife you just spent 7000 dollars on monitors?

I bought and have restored two Norlin LPCs in one year, totaling well over 7k between both. Can confirm you’re going to get it thrown in your face for many many years to come.

Recently I wanted a sports car and she shot that idea DOWN. I know where the limit is and I’m not willing to push it 😂😂😂

Just do it around milestones.

"Honey, I'm turning 50!!!! Don't you think I've earned that $7,500 Murphy relic'd 59 Re-issue LP Standard?"

Tell her you bought something for $10k. When she’s pissed then tell her it was $7k. Should calm her down.

Should calm her down.

Sure!!!!

this-much-quite.gif

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you can afford $7000 monitors then it won’t matter in the least
This. Not saying I haven't splurged before, but my JBL's were $400 and they sound awesome. So 17x more dough...hmm. Alas, not going to pass judgement on a gear forum. Enjoy and yeah, my strategy is usually "I got a great deal, and if I decide to sell them I'll make money." Numbers remain undisclosed unless she threatens to take away my stuffed animals.

Tell her it‘s an investment in research for your forthcoming best selling novel, “adventures in bedroom closet guitar” and you only spent the publisher’s advance money. If that fails, get used to sleeping in the bedroom closet.

If she sees the transactions you have some explaining to do to her I am sure. If not, you can go a few different paths. You may be able to spin things based on the time of year but you are going to have to come at Christmas real big for her and move some money around, etc. You are totally fucked if she knows your gear and can recognize you got new monitors. At that point, bend over and kiss your ass goodbye. You are not in a great position but the mix of the beating and divorce threats will sounds awesome! ;)

I bought and have restored two Norlin LPCs in one year, totaling well over 7k between both. Can confirm you’re going to get it thrown in your face for many many years to come.

Recently I wanted a sports car and she shot that idea DOWN. I know where the limit is and I’m not willing to push it 😂😂😂
You're not going to kill yourself driving your Norlins.

@VESmedic ; I think we've totally yada-yada'd over the fact that you spent 7 large on monitors. Details man...let's go! :LOL:

hahahah! The comments did not let me down in the least, well played everyone. It’s interesting to see peoples responses, and even jokingly may be based on half truths of some of y’all’s experiences haha!

But no, financially it’s not a big deal, however it is interesting to see my wife’s reactions when I do things like this. Honestly, I’ve got it real good, she never complains or asks questions or demands I do this or that etc. in fact never once has me spending money on anything pro audio or guitar related ever come up or even been an issue in the least. Of course if it could effect us significantly financially, well that’s a different story for sure. I am quite lucky for sure.

But yes, I bought a pair of genelec 8351’s after having wanted them for quite some time. Sweetwater does 48 months a couple times a year so I said screw it, why not. I could pay for it all at once but hey, I’ll take free money anytime anywhere! They are absolutely stunning monitors and I got chills after I heard them the first time with a sub in a killer studio, mindblowing experience. I also realize most modern bedroom/project studios have one thing in common: a terrible start to try and make something into an awesome environment for audio, and a situation that can only get better up to a point, no matter how much money you throw at it. So that’s where genelecs GLM system comes in. It’s a DSP based room correction software. Others like room eq wizard are not in the same league as a system like this. So my thought process was to get the best monitoring situation that I can, and calibrate my speakers to the room and fix the issues as best I possibly can, Atleast the stuff that can be treated. You can’t fix nulls etc, it’s physics, it is what it is. But there are ways to work around them, and this is a good start.

They will be here Wednesday, hopefully when my other half isn’t there :D

Back