WTF - am I going deaf?

311splawndude

In-room Splawn+Boogie sex warning!

So with all the talk about scooping mids, dial with your ears not your eyes, ghost notes, biasing etc. I wanted to get your opinion on this tone.

Over the past few weeks (building up over time I suppose) I was getting this weird clank and brittle tone shit and I didn't know what to do so I started troubleshooting. Typical stuff:

Swapping preamp tubes
Put in some new Mullard EL34s
Biased those*
Put the Boogie back to 6L6 instead of EL34s
Went straight in bypassing pedals
Dioxit in all her holes
etc

NOTE: I run my Treble on "0" on the Splawn and my Duncan Custom Custom is a trembucker version in a non-Strat so the poles don't match up exactly. Rectoverb settings are pretty normal for a Recto. The whole thing was very loud! I was wearing ear plugs.

THEN: I noticed that all this time of troubleshooting I accidently had my guitar tone rolled all the way down
:(

So this is what I got:

Good? Bad? Am I going deaf?

Is your guitar's tone knob on 0?

edit: holy shit I typed that before I read through the whole post. lol! :D Hah, we've all done it man. I only asked because I've done the same thing before and it drove me nuts for a little bit while I troubleshot everything else first.

If you see hoofprints, think horses, not zebras. :)

In-room Splawn+Boogie sex warning!

So with all the talk about scooping mids, dial with your ears not your eyes, ghost notes, biasing etc. I wanted to get your opinion on this tone.

Over the past few weeks (building up over time I suppose) I was getting this weird clank and brittle tone shit and I didn't know what to do so I started troubleshooting. Typical stuff:

Swapping preamp tubes
Put in some new Mullard EL34s
Biased those*
Put the Boogie back to 6L6 instead of EL34s
Went straight in bypassing pedals
Dioxit in all her holes
etc

NOTE: I run my Treble on "0" on the Splawn and my Duncan Custom Custom is a trembucker version in a non-Strat so the poles don't match up exactly. Rectoverb settings are pretty normal for a Recto. The whole thing was very loud! I was wearing ear plugs.

THEN: I noticed that all this time of troubleshooting I accidently had my guitar tone rolled all the way down
:(

So this is what I got:

Good? Bad? Am I going deaf?

I didn't turn on my speakers and I heard nothing at first that's why I was convinced I'm deaf but I turned them on . Increase the treble bud. I would like to hear the Splawn .

Last edited:
It sounds a bit muffled to my ears, but that is prolly from the tone knob being rolled back.

And don't feel bad about all that troubleshooting because of an oversight. I was troubleshooting for hours convinced my amp had died because I was getting no sound at all. Turned out I forgot to plug my guitar in. LMAO!!! :hys:

I just bought a Radial Twin City ABY pedal and couldn’t believe how bad the tone suck was on the isolated channel. I was about to message the seller but then noticed the recessed Drag control aka the tone suck control on it he side. It was turned all the way to ‘suck’.

Wow - lots of quick feedback :LOL:

TheGreatGreen = yes guitar tone knob was on "0", that was the point
ccn = Splawn Treble was on "0" but I've had that for a long time, it is an actual thing
SoooRad = I get it :LOL:
MadasAHater = I'm now concerned that I adjusted everything else incorrectly so I have to start over 🤦‍♀️
bwgintegra = agreed
glpg80 = tone in the room was better than that but also very loud and I had earplugs in (and not the quality type)
Fordman = agreed
Spiderwars = I have an MXR ABY
glpg80 = I have no idea how to know 🤷

Thanks for all the listens. Starting over.

here is an older one with 'normal' settings and ABY

something has to be wired wrong or a bad cable or something, does it sound the same going strait into the amp? did you try a different guitar?

The tone was better to me on the 2nd clip, but it felt like it was lacking something. Almost like the pickup was too far from the strings and didn't have enough power behind it for the riff.

I'd like to hear it in a mix. It might be one of those tones that sound rough around the edges solo but fits perfectly in a mix.

something has to be wired wrong or a bad cable or something, does it sound the same going strait into the amp? did you try a different guitar?
This. Try each amp straight in, then with each pedal, then with your ABY. Try to make sure all cables/pedals are working correctly. My Decimator pedal, I need to deoxit the jacks occasionally when my signal changes for the worse.

Read response to TheGreatGreen above :LOL:

(what about the second clip?)

it sounds like when i have a bad cable i didnt wiggle or a dying battery in a pedal, theres just no balls which there should be regardless where the tone knob is and especially at ear plug volume. ive had wires come loose in my guitars that would sound like that when it happens.

Cabinet jack. Definitely sounds like a jack
My boogie did that once.
Another time I didn’t have a cable pushed in all the way in a pedal. Check your routing.
It if was there boogie cabinet pull off the back and check that jack.

Wow.

You guys have good ears. More stuff for me to check. :)

I think the pickup is definitely part of problem especially considering it is a TB spaced pup in a non Strat guitar.

There's an element of fizz as if the signal's mixed with bit of direct out from the amp... IMHO. It's there to some degree or another in both clips.

This, again IMHO, gives it a "cheap" sound.

Also, there's a little bit of that "sound" you get when the battery for active PUs is dying.

Sorry it's not more-complimentary Brother 3. :dunno: :cheers2:

Well. What sucks is it is much worse when the guitar tone knob is all the way up. The only reason I though I was getting somewhere was because the tone was rolled all the way off and I didn't know. So now I have to go find the culprit.

Thanks all for the ideas

Back