Malmsteen " Master clinic" last night.. Fury Released!

He's been playing the same set list ever since he started doing everything 100% himself, with the addition of his newest songs which have just been rehashed versions of pre-existing rehashes.

I love Yngwie but I skipped the last time he came around ever since he's been cutting his songs in half.

I seen Yngwie at the Country Club in Reseda , back in 1982, when he was in Steeler .
He was a big influence until Odyssey in 1987 .
After that, I felt I learned all that I could learn from him .

I still remember reading about what a nightmare trying to work with Yngwie is from back around 2001 when he had the great Jorn Lande on vocals and John Macaluso on drums and both quit in the middle of the tour. Jorn is a very straight talking guy and basically spilled the beans on what a shit show it was and it’s basically Yngwie’s wife’s family (who are from Turkey or somewhere) who run everything and are a bunch of swindlers.

So Yngwie’s “masterclass” being as described is no surprise at all. He has so much skill and at times is very entertaining but I wouldn’t pay the dude a dime.

At least you didn’t have to hear “Sun’s Up, Top’s Down”

I highly recommend everyone read the Yngwie Autobiography, then read the Unofficial Biography straight after.

The same stories, COMPLETELY different perspectives.

I still remember reading about what a nightmare trying to work with Yngwie is from back around 2001 when he had the great Jorn Lande on vocals and John Macaluso on drums and both quit in the middle of the tour. Jorn is a very straight talking guy and basically spilled the beans on what a shit show it was and it’s basically Yngwie’s wife’s family (who are from Turkey or somewhere) who run everything and are a bunch of swindlers.

So Yngwie’s “masterclass” being as described is no surprise at all. He has so much skill and at times is very entertaining but I wouldn’t pay the dude a dime.

At least you didn’t have to hear “Sun’s Up, Top’s Down”

Honestly, I was waiting for it lol. I wanted the vocals and blues debauchery to hit me in the face like that twin turbo v6 does when you pump the gas..

His camp definitely look like they maximize profits. They were selling signed Parabellum vinyl records for 130$ CAD. Considering you can get the album for 40$, yet another sweet markup.

A lot of times I think these guys wish people just treated them normal. A lot of times, people are going to ask a question that makes them appear like a super fan, rather than something truly unique. I mean how many times has he been asked a Blackmore question??? A million?
I get what you're saying but it kinda comes with the territory doesn't it? Fans are the reason he can enjoy Ferraris and donuts. When you reach a certain level of notoriety it's not realistic to expect to have normalcy AND adulation on tap at your whim.

I get what you're saying but it kinda comes with the territory doesn't it? Fans are the reason he can enjoy Ferraris and donuts. When you reach a certain level of notoriety it's not realistic to expect to have normalcy AND adulation on tap at your whim.

I think there should be a balance of respecting a "star's" space and them being at least somewhat grateful or polite. Most stars have figured out that balance. Yngwie wants all the praise without any of the hassle. He essentially said he doesn't like it when people come up and talk to him in public. As fans, we should be happy just watching him perform and then watching him leave. I wonder if Bach or Vivaldi etc were like that?

I think there should be a balance of respecting a "star's" space and them being at least somewhat grateful or polite. Most stars have figured out that balance. Yngwie wants all the praise without any of the hassle. He essentially said he doesn't like it when people come up and talk to him in public. As fans, we should be happy just watching him perform and then watching him leave. I wonder if Bach or Vivaldi etc were like that?

He’s clearly not a fan of someone saying ‘Hi’ at a stoplight, either.

Living in this area you end up hearing some Yngwie stories over time. Back in ‘05 my former drummer and his wife were working at a tattoo shop in Miami, I’d go hang out with them occasionally and there’s this AWESOME pizza shop a few doors down which we ended up calling Yngwie Pizza. We were grabbing some pizzas one day when the owner asked us if we were musicians and then asked us if we knew who Yngwie was, then pointed out his favorite pizza and talked about how he’d been coming in for years and is a really, really nice guy. I didn’t want to ruin the guy’s image of Yngwie by countering his story with how much of a prick I’ve heard he is.

There’s a Guitar Center in North Miami that he frequents and one of the guys who used to work there was a huge fan, it was very much a Wedding Singer moment when I went in there a while back to grab some strings and as I’m checking out the GC dude was all “Do you like Yngwie?!?! He was just here! You missed him by like 10 minutes, man! He just came in and pointed at everything he wanted like a boss!!! I tried to get an autograph but he blew me off, it was fucking Yngwie, man!” :LOL:

His son was seemingly walking in his footsteps a few years back, but all the vids are off YouTube now. He did a gig in Coral Springs at this youth jam center type of place, he looked like a mini-me of his dad/Blackmore. Strat into a Marshall, pirate shirt, long, curly hair. From what I remember he was tearing it up, like Yngwie was clearly this kid’s teacher and he was trying to get the showman stuff going but focused more on his playing. I can’t find the videos at all now, the most I can find is this site that mentions an interview with his son that used to have a video which is now private- https://fullinbloom.com/yngwie-malmsteen-my-son-tony-malmsteen/

At least he’s an entertaining dude!

Totally has. He also could make his solo show so .uch cooler if he ditched the drum machine backing tracks and hired some kid to put together some medley he could play using the isolated drum/bass/keys and vox tracks that he could play along to. The show was fun but it really was full of pointless compositional shred. I really like his rythm playing and would have loved to see a Marching Out medley and an Alcatrazz medley. He's been doing the same solo money making gig for years now. Do something cooler.
I have the deepest love and respect to Yngwie .
He had a chance to get huge Mainstream acceptance with the line up that he got with Joe Lynn Turner and the rest of the band that he had on Odyssey .....
He could have been on equal footing with Dokken , White Snake and even GnR .... but his ego got in the way and he reduced himself to only playing for the Shred Guitar fanatics .

Yngwie is awesome. He was at a Vai camp I was at and he was a blast. BTW I got the same story from Neal Schon about that we’re stars session. Gillis took for freakin ever lol and Yngwie was like 2 takes haha

Yngwie is awesome. He was at a Vai camp I was at and he was a blast. BTW I got the same story from Neal Schon about that we’re stars session. Gillis took for freakin ever lol and Yngwie was like 2 takes haha
So funny..guess that proves it! Let's be honest though, Brad didn't even do anything special. He literally yanks on the bar. That's a lot of walking over 4 hours !

@Kapo_Polenton awesome review and thanks for taking the time to write and answer the questions over the 3 pages of this thread.

I missed him in Quebec City, I mixed up the date in between Montreal and Quebec so when I went to get tickets it was too late :ROFLMAO:

I may have forgot about while reading there 3 pages but where did you see the masterclass?

@Kapo_Polenton awesome review and thanks for taking the time to write and answer the questions over the 3 pages of this thread.

I missed him in Quebec City, I mixed up the date in between Montreal and Quebec so when I went to get tickets it was too late :ROFLMAO:

I may have forgot about while reading there 3 pages but where did you see the masterclass?

Brass Monkey. Low concrete ceilings, pool tables in the back. It's located in the basement of a strip mall essentially. Everytime I am there i feel like i am one Pyro show away from going up in flames. There only seems to be one exit and that's back up the stairs...

I discovered The Making Of We’re Stars on a VHS in my uncle‘s collection of tapes when I was 13 in ‘95, it was the first time I saw any of those guys. I knew the names of most of the bands and members but didn‘t know their music at all. I just remember being blown away with Yngwie’s solo because of how fluid it was in comparison to everyone else and that pedal tone lick he does, that might have been the first time I heard a pedal tone lick and thought it was cool as fuck.

I still have that VHS, it’s also got Ryche Live In Tokyo, Dio live with Vivian Campbell way back in the day and Frank Gambale/Michael Angelo Batio/Steve Lukather instructional vids on it. That VHS was just as important to my development as a guitarist as it was detrimental at making me a complete fucking nerd in 1995 in comparison to my peers who were all coming off Bush and getting into Tool and Deftones as I’m telling them I want to take opera lessons so I can sing like Geoff Tate.

Back