Best picks

You were right, in D standard tuning the Brass Humschmidt translates much better in both sound and playability. I guess it's a balancing act with tension from tuning and string gauge too maybe. In D standard the Attak Stealth 2.0 didn't work as well. I mostly play in just E standard and drop D, but a lot of my own riffs actually sound better in D and C# standard, but I also don't play those riffs as often lol. I also got the Gorilla Snot a few weeks ago. It can be helpful too and smells nice lol
I play in D Standard for almost all my guitars. There is a Certain tone to it that just sounds right to me for almost everything i play. I started using that tuning back in 1988 cause of Mick Mars.

Just got a Jazz III sized one of these. Wow, super smooth over the strings for fast stuff.
Lacking a bit in the low end though - need to mess around some more with it.

20230511_064005.jpg

https://hawkpicks.co.uk/

Last edited:
I really fell in love with Primetone! Jazz III 1.4mm for electric and Jazz III XL .73mm for acoustic, typically. I use different thicknesses for different tone. The 2.0mm and 3.0mm especially. I like the raised design and I feel like harmonics jump off the strings with whatever they are made of, maybe a version of ultex?

I'm not sure a Pick can be defined as Metal or Not Metal. I mean look at Devin Townsend he's using bass picks.
True. But what I meant is EJ is not very metal, LOL. I wouldn't have figured his picks would hold up to downpicking constantly like a caveman.

But then again, his picks are just regular Jazz III's that are supposedly made of some old formula they used to be made of.

True. But what I meant is EJ is not very metal, LOL. I wouldn't have figured his picks would hold up to downpicking constantly like a caveman.
His picks are the Jazz 3's which are the same picks that Erik Rutan used with Hate Eternal Before he switched to Tortex After Joining Cannibal Corpse. But i get what you're trying to say.

His picks are the Jazz 3's which are the same picks that Erik Rutan used with Hate Eternal Before he switched to Tortex After Joining Cannibal Corpse. But i get what you're trying to say.
Point taken.

I honestly do like the EJ picks way better than the Petrucci picks, personally. The Petrucci picks sound so thuddy and feel so clunky and stiff.

The Kirk Hammett picks look cool as hell, but I find they're kinda hard to hold with the cutout. Also, kinda more expensive without having like no extra benefit over a regular red Jazz III, IMO.

But TBH, my favorite are the Tortez Jazz III's. Best of both worlds, IMO. Too bad I shred through them like they're made of paper.

Griff sent me one of these, man they are wierd. I am used to using the side of the pick, so I kept catching my strings in the little crevices on accident.
Yea, I can see that.. I had to adapt to them. I will say one thing, I have not looked at another pick since then. This cat named Rusty Cooley turned me onto them when I was at his house one day. my son uses the J Petrucci picks and I think those are pretty cool too though.

Has Anyone else Had a Pick Journey? My Journey was the first pick i ever used (because it came with my first guitar) was the .73mm D'addario Delrin Picks. Then i switched to the .88mm Tortex, Then the 1.00mm Dunlop Nylon Picks, Then the 1.00mm tortex for a few months, Then the Orange .60mm Tortex for the next 20+ years, then moved up to the .73mm Tortex for 2 Years & Now back to the Green .88mm Tortex for the Last year & I Think i'm sticking with these for everything i do.

I honestly do like the EJ picks way better than the Petrucci picks, personally. The Petrucci picks sound so thuddy and feel so clunky and stiff.

Did a very recent AB between them and couldn't agree more.
After playing with the EJ for a while the Petrucci would feel HUGE by comparison.
Too much low end on the initial attack too.

Dunlop Tortex .6mm. Fuck the rest.

You can do anything and everything with that pick. Choke up and thrash, back off it and thwack, thin enough to get great sounding pick scrapes.

Back