Best picks

I got mad at Guitar Center like 3 years ago, so I reached into the free red picks fishbowl and took like 4 handfuls of picks and put them in my coat. I still use them and like them

I liked the big "Cool" pick triangles for a while.
Mostly using Dunlop Ultex sharps these days.
Still use the Tortex every now and again.
Honestly, I have a plethora of picks, keep a handful on my amps and music room desk. I'll swap picks if I get bored, and sometimes the change in picks is enough to coax out a new idea.

I liked the big "Cool" pick triangles for a while.
Mostly using Dunlop Ultex sharps these days.
Still use the Tortex every now and again.
Honestly, I have a plethora of picks, keep a handful on my amps and music room desk. I'll swap picks if I get bored, and sometimes the change in picks is enough to coax out a new idea.
Did you feel like you had better control with the big triangle picks?

I have been using Swiss Picks for around six years. they don't ever seem to wear down. Also, when I play live, I sweat like a whore in church. these always come through for me.

swp.jpg

I still like the v pick screamer but dont use it as much. Pretty much revolve between howling monkey and hidfshmid brass. @braintheory, i know you got yours. Did you not like it?
I’ll have to look into the howling monkey. The Humschmidt brass didn’t really work well for me. It’s nice, but playability wise preferred others and sound wise it wasn’t bad except for being one of those picks where when I play faster palm mute riffs I hear too much of that high pitched scratchy sound and not enough of the low end chunk of the actual notes being played. A lot of famous bands I guess also have this problem in their palm muted sound, but for me I don’t want that sound. It also can happen when I set my pickups too close to the strings

I’ve tried now the whole line-up of the Attak’s and V-Picks and liked most the Stealth 2.0 and V-Pick small P model. They sound thin for my taste, but still pretty good overall and the best ones playability wise for my right hand at least. I still like the screamer model and use it, but that one has a speed limit for what I can play with it. I find also the humshmidt brass and other metal & stone picks I’ve had have a smoother sound to them (less texture around the notes), which is not really my preference, even though it’s also a brighter sound, despite the smoothness. My various wood picks have the most texture to the sound, but not ideal for me in playability

Last edited:
I’ll have to look into the howling monkey. The Humschmidt brass didn’t really work well for me. It’s nice, but playability wise preferred others and sound wise it wasn’t bad except for being one of those picks where when I play faster palm mute riffs I hear too much of that high pitched scratchy sound and not enough of the low end chunk of the actual notes being played. A lot of famous bands I guess also have this problem in their palm muted sound, but for me I don’t want that sound. It also can happen when I set my pickups too close to the strings

I’ve tried now the whole line-up of the Attak’s and V-Picks and liked most the Stealth 2.0 and V-Pick small P model. They sound thin for my taste, but still pretty good overall and the best ones playability wise for my right hand at least. I still like the screamer model and use it, but that one has a speed limit for what I play with it. I find also the humshmidt brass and other metal & stone picks I’ve had have a smoother sound to them (less texture around the notes), which is not really my preference, even though it’s also a brighter sound, despite the smoothness. My various wood picks have the most texture to the sound, but not ideal for me in playability
Scratchy strings can sometimes be tension related. Drop down to d standard and try again. But if you dont like, no big deal. The howling monkey thick jazz is sexy. And it is made of a nut i guess. I like it quite a bit. Where the attack caves in, it expands. But i really want to try yhe kyle rassmuaen winspears also before i name best pick

Did you feel like you had better control with the big triangle picks?
Maybe a bit. Because they're bigger, the way they fit in the fingers allows me to get more of a level vs slanted pick attack. And the material sounds really nice hitting the strings. They're actually the Ultra Cool, either .8mm or 1.0mm
Cool Picks Triangle "Ultra Cool" Guitar Pick - 8 Picks (1.0mm) https://a.co/d/8XQme5r

Scratchy strings can sometimes be tension related. Drop down to d standard and try again. But if you dont like, no big deal. The howling monkey thick jazz is sexy. And it is made of a nut i guess. I like it quite a bit. Where the attack caves in, it expands. But i really want to try yhe kyle rassmuaen winspears also before i name best pick
You were right, in D standard tuning the Brass Humschmidt translates much better in both sound and playability. I guess it's a balancing act with tension from tuning and string gauge too maybe. In D standard the Attak Stealth 2.0 didn't work as well. I mostly play in just E standard and drop D, but a lot of my own riffs actually sound better in D and C# standard, but I also don't play those riffs as often lol. I also got the Gorilla Snot a few weeks ago. It can be helpful too and smells nice lol

You were right, in D standard tuning the Brass Humschmidt translates much better in both sound and playability. I guess it's a balancing act with tension from tuning and string gauge too maybe. In D standard the Attak Stealth 2.0 didn't work as well. I mostly play in just E standard and drop D, but a lot of my own riffs actually sound better in D and C# standard, but I also don't play those riffs as often lol. I also got the Gorilla Snot a few weeks ago. It can be helpful too and smells nice lol
Damn. I havent smelled it yet. Yeah. I like the tension of the normal tuning. But the scratchiness you get from it can be irritating. And the coloring from a little lower tuning can round out some of the riffs. It is a sweet sound

Damn. I havent smelled it yet. Yeah. I like the tension of the normal tuning. But the scratchiness you get from it can be irritating. And the coloring from a little lower tuning can round out some of the riffs. It is a sweet sound
The problem is you end up hearing much more of the high pitched scratchy notes/artifacts rather than the fundamental low note played on the palm mutes, so instead of getting the desired deep, chunky, percussive sound, we’re instead left with something kinda wimpy and annoying. Many of the most famous metal bands also get this sound maybe without being fully aware of it. It’s more apparent when digging in or playing more aggressively. For whatever reason in lower tuning it lessens, I guess from less tension

I’m also gonna order some of those Howling Monkey picks. I’m intrigued lol

The problem is you end up hearing much more of the high pitched scratchy notes/artifacts rather than the fundamental low note played on the palm mutes, so instead of getting the desired deep, chunky, percussive sound, we’re instead left with something kinda wimpy and annoying. Many of the most famous metal bands also get this sound maybe without being fully aware of it. It’s more apparent when digging in or playing more aggressively. For whatever reason in lower tuning it lessens, I guess from less tension

I’m also gonna order some of those Howling Monkey picks. I’m intrigued lol
so far, it has the most natural sound to hitting strings. almost like a finger, but not as dull.

Back