Glenn is BSing again

Glenn can come off as an asshole and this video absolutely had a clickbait title, but if you actually watch it, you'll see the point of this video is that basically "speakers are a huge component of high gain tone, and your amp doesn't make as much of a difference as you might think it does" which is absolutely true. And I say this as a guy who just bought a Wizard.

His videos are usually marketed towards people who like metal and are fairly new to guitar in general. You know, people who usually think the amp is everything, and that whatever speaker cab you happen to pull out of the dumpster should do just fine because they're "only speakers, who cares?" so overall it's a good lesson to teach those people.

The amps in Glenn's video sound similar and the amps in other peoples' videos sound different because they have knobs you can turn to adjust them. Ever taken a 5150 and cranked the Presence and Depth to minimize negative feedback? Since the Dual Recto has no negative feedback, you can get them to sound pretty similar if you try. And if both amps are boosted using the same boost, then you can get them to sound almost the same. Yes you can dial them to sound wildly different as well, and Glenn obviously didn't do that here to illustrate a point, which you can argue is or isn't deceptive, but in the end he was still using both amps and didn't lie about anything, and he did a decent job showing how drastic a speaker change can be.
Speakers matter more than amps and pickups. Got that memo 197 Glenn Fricker videos ago. How many times must he repackage the same premise?

To be clear I'm not here to defend Glenn as I think he has been sucked into jerking off for the algorithm because that's his income now. What I'm saying is that the issue here is perspective & perception, and when you align those things I believe it's probable that both sides are correct. So, I'll leave you with this thought. Are you trying to solve the problem, or are you trying to win the argument?
The thing for me is that whether or not the end result sounds identical or close enough, there def is the feel/response/in the room.
Those things can determine your playing technique, timing, etc... Which can make something go from doom and gloom to happy days and vice versa in the final product.

The thing for me is that whether or not the end result sounds identical or close enough, there def is the feel/response/in the room.
Those things can determine your playing technique, timing, etc... Which can make something go from doom and gloom to happy days and vice versa in the final product.
True story, and that’s why I believe there’s validity in both sides of the argument. It’s “and” not “or”.

I do have a theory that parallels how pressure and flow are not the same thing. What I’d like to model is how mics can record sound and volume, but they cannot capture the push of air which the human in the room can. I think this may help explain both sides better. I have an idea on how to test this using a pressure sensor and data logging but it’ll take some effort and I haven’t been that motivated lately.

True story, and that’s why I believe there’s validity in both sides of the argument. It’s “and” not “or”.

I do have a theory that parallels how pressure and flow are not the same thing. What I’d like to model is how mics can record sound and volume, but they cannot capture the push of air which the human in the room can. I think this may help explain both sides better. I have an idea on how to test this using a pressure sensor and data logging but it’ll take some effort and I haven’t been that motivated lately.
That would be awesome! I watched a video once where they were recording people's vitals while playing different type of music. It was pretty cool.

I believe Glenn knows the YouTube algorithm after doing it for so long. I know he's mentioned how certain videos get more views so im sure he wants to post more of those types of videos if he's trying to get YouTube money.

I believe Glenn knows the YouTube algorithm after doing it for so long. I know he's mentioned how certain videos get more views so im sure he wants to post more of those types of videos if he's trying to get YouTube money.
Somebody has got to pay for all those sweet Harley Bentons he buys and reviews.

I don't hate nor buy into his videos but it's baffling how many people he owns and lives rent free in their heads. He's a master at what he does. You're doing it wrong people...

But than again, you only have this one piont/settings on both amps, where they do that.
Neither of these videos support or disprove that though, which is my gripe. We need to better define what we mean by "sounds the same" and we need comparisons that explore that. I think you and I can probably agree that "sounding the same" means something along the lines of being able to get amp A to sound like amp B for all possible settings of amp B, and vice versa. A more abbreviated and practical version of the question might be "can amp A do what amp B does best equally well, and vice versa?" Personally I think the answer will be "no," at least in a non-trivial amount of cases.

His client list is not particularly notable and does not seem to be growing with his YouTube popularity. That says it all.

This is his biggest claim to fame as a mixer-

Except it’s not Queensryche, it’s the bullshit Geoff Tate slapped together to rush out an album to beat the actual band to the punch in releasing a ‘Queensryche’ record in an attempt to get the name. The first pressing was mixed so bad the label sent out songs to individual mixers to have it re-mixed, then didn’t pay them for polishing turds.

I don't really know much about this guy, I have occasionally viewed a couple vids of interest but honestly found him annoying. I'm not adding on the hate train either it is an honest observation , no biases here, but his faces he makes on thumbnails are disingenuous and insincere, which I find revolting. Yes, I know how the youtube 'game' works and algo's etc but for once can creators have some self-respect and humility?

If i ever seen that guy i'd prob throw a few left hooks his way.

This is his biggest claim to fame as a mixer-

Except it’s not Queensryche, it’s the bullshit Geoff Tate slapped together to rush out an album to beat the actual band to the punch in releasing a ‘Queensryche’ record in an attempt to get the name. The first pressing was mixed so bad the label sent out songs to individual mixers to have it re-mixed, then didn’t pay them for polishing turds.

It sounds like a competent mix but if that's all he did, then big deal. He presumably wasn't at the recording session itself where his engineering and/or production skills would have been put to the test. So, mixing ONE track by a name artist is all he's got for professional credentials? Weak.

He's not always wrong.
20240322_142713.jpg

Back