“First of All, There Was No Guitar Player Who Had Ever Played Like That”: Van Halen Producer Ted Templeman Tells ‘GP’ How It All Began

“Van Halen might not have been the same group without Ted Templeman, the man who discovered and signed them…”

First of all, Gene Simmons discovered them and got them signed!

🤣🤣🤣😜

“Van Halen might not have been the same group without Ted Templeman, the man who discovered and signed them…”

First of all, Gene Simmons discovered them and got them signed!

🤣🤣🤣😜
Actually Gene tried to get them signed.

Paul saw them first, then brought Gene down and he jumped right in with them. Recorded their demo's, signed them to his production company, brought them to New York to audition for Bill, their manager. The only one who wanted to move forward with signing VH and managing them was Gene. The rest of the organization including Paul turned them down. Paul has been very open that he didn't want the competition from them, he basically didn't want to give them a shot and get replaced by them. As he said, survival lol. In fact that and other things caused a rift between him and Roth for years.

Of course all this coincides with Gene in talks to work with George Lynch's band, the night Gene showed at the Starwood, VH was opening for Lynch's band. Gene went straight for VH. Probably for the best for Van Halen, they would be signed I think around a year later to Warner Brothers with the help of Marshall Berle who later managed Ratt and Ted.

Actually Gene tried to get them signed.

Paul saw them first, then brought Gene down and he jumped right in with them. Recorded their demo's, signed them to his production company, brought them to New York to audition for Bill, their manager. The only one who wanted to move forward with signing VH and managing them was Gene. The rest of the organization including Paul turned them down. Paul has been very open that he didn't want the competition from them, he basically didn't want to give them a shot and get replaced by them. As he said, survival lol. In fact that and other things caused a rift between him and Roth for years.

Of course all this coincides with Gene in talks to work with George Lynch's band, the night Gene showed at the Starwood, VH was opening for Lynch's band. Gene went straight for VH. Probably for the best for Van Halen, they would be signed I think around a year later to Warner Brothers with the help of Marshall Berle who later managed Ratt and Ted.
Yea, according to Teds book he went down to the club where VH were playing but originally someone else was supposed to go. He was blown away and went back to Warner and told them to sign them. I never got why Simmons couldnt get them signed though. He really wanted Ed to join Kiss and made Ace start tapping! LOL

Hey! We can praise Evh the Jesus of guitar as much as we like!
Respect the game, boy!

I'll allow it, but I reserve the right to listen to music that isn't corporate schlock 😂
If you don’t like this one, perhaps you’d prefer the latest “Lay it Down” discussion

God damn, I use RT because I want to find guitar content that ISNT EVH/Tammy Henson/Misha Streetshitter/generic "rock" bullshit

The YouTube algorithm has already made sure there are literally no guitar channels that talk about artists that don't fucking suck

*soy thumbnail*

"DID YOU KNOW EVH USED THIS POWER CONDITIONER ON AINT TALKIN BOUT LOVE??? LISTEN TO ME SUCK ASS TRYING TO PLAY IT "

next video

"DID YOU KNOW EVH TOOK A SHIT ONE TIME???? WATCH ME DO A DEEP DIVE ON EVHS FECAL MATTER!"

So you’re NOT going to régale us with a Top 10 “things I love about Dokken” thread anytime soon?

How about "YOULL NEVER GUESS THAT NUNO USES A RAT AND A DSL WOW HOLY CRAP (WATCH ME PLAY GET THE FUNK OUT REALLY TERRIBLY)"

Or

"AMAZING! IF YOU TURN THE GAIN DOWN A BIT IT SOUNDS MORE LIKE ADAM JONES ON MY SQUIER PRACTICE AMP "

JFC for once can I get some YouTube content about guitarists that don't suck ass?

Oh cool the same story/conversation about the same dad bands everyone has been having for 300 years
giphy.gif

Dads gonna Dad. You will too someday.

I already AM a dad.

I'm just a hair younger than the standard RT demographic, so I'm completely uninterested in Kiss, The Eagles/Joe Walsh, EVH, ACDC, or any other corporate butt rock from that era

But I'm also too old to care about Polyamory/Tammy Henson, Mastodon, or They/Them pronouns

What I wouldn't give to have a youtube channel or forum obsessed with guitar players I actually LIKE and listen to 🥵

Andre Olbrich wah/multitracking tutorial?

Manni Schmidt music theory for all the weird scales and modes he uses in solos?

Weiki strat tones? Kai Hansen weird ascending 8s?

my kingdom for guitar content I actually give a shit about

I already AM a dad.

I'm just a hair younger than the standard RT demographic, so I'm completely uninterested in Kiss, The Eagles/Joe Walsh, EVH, ACDC, or any other corporate butt rock from that era

But I'm also too old to care about Polyamory/Tammy Henson, Mastodon, or They/Them pronouns

What I wouldn't give to have a youtube channel or forum obsessed with guitar players I actually LIKE and listen to 🥵

Andre Olbrich wah/multitracking tutorial?

Manni Schmidt music theory for all the weird scales and modes he uses in solos?

Weiki strat tones? Kai Hansen weird ascending 8s?

my kingdom for guitar content I actually give a shit about
I must research those of which you speak.

Back