1969 Super Lead and PS100

RedPlated

I always laugh when I plug into this amp and re-realize how much gain these have for a 50+ year old amp. Not high gain by today's standards but it's a decent amount. This is the sound that all future Marshalls tried to achieve at lower volumes. Amp is totally stock and really clean. No extra holes etc.. I added a 25uf fat cap on a switch in the extra speaker hole that is totally reversible. That's the only mod. It's got RFT el34's and Mullard 12ax7's.

Les Paul R9 with Aldrich straight in.

Perfect amount of gain for me. What do you have the volume at on the amp?
The volume is around 6-7 in that clip. The second channel volume is around 4. Hard driver mentioned this in the past and I didn’t realize it until he did, but the second channel volume level affects the sound when on the bright channel. It’s alters the resistance of the mixer resistor.

Man killer playing. That amp is the sound studio engineers, sound engineers at every modeling company, and many of us here have chased or are chasing.

That’s the staple of Marshall tone.

You ever want metro #1 for it let me know!! 😂

Transformer pics?
It’s got the stand up PT.

Serial of amp dates to Dec 69’. I also have a really clean 68/69 cab with Pulsonic greenbacks. This clip is G12H30 anniversary which I really like with it.

You can see the switch I added inside the speaker jack for the fat cap.

gr5L0aZ.jpg

PS2vPrf.jpg

I've played this clip a number of times, just sounds so good. How do those reissues Marshall are making stack up next to this? I think I read they're based of an early 70s one?

I've played this clip a number of times, just sounds so good. How do those reissues Marshall are making stack up next to this? I think I read they're based of an early 70s one?
The only reissues to come even close were in the late 80s when they were first ever reissued. In the early 90s the second time they reissued, the early ones had leftover transformer cores from the very first reissues in the 80s. Every single one after that to this day fall short and are good enough for gigging or modding, but certainly not sitting in a studio. Nik at ceriatone and George at Metropoulos can build a better Marshall clone than Marshall these days. They will at least have mojo, but not as much as the video above.

The only reissues to come even close were in the late 80s when they were first ever reissued. In the early 90s the second time they reissued, the early ones had leftover transformer cores from the very first reissues in the 80s. Every single one after that to this day fall short and are good enough for gigging or modding, but certainly not sitting in a studio. Nik at ceriatone and George at Metropoulos can build a better Marshall clone than Marshall these days. They will at least have mojo, but not as much as the video above.
I don't think I've ever seen a late 80s reissue, there is a clean 93 reissue for sale locally, no FX loop. Would that have those transformers?

Man…it’s about time.-harness that.
Btw, I like your guitar playing, you’re really good and also creative, you’re officially in the band.
Good stuff!

I don't think I've ever seen a late 80s reissue, there is a clean 93 reissue for sale locally, no FX loop. Would that have those transformers?
It should yes.

I have a '74 and a 93 reissue (both Monomyth) and they have that similar vibe / grind on the low (3 stage) input and gain aroun 1 O'clock. 93 is a little louder, 74 a bit gainier (with switchable bright cap) but doesn't clean up the as much as the 93.

This 68 is insane stock!!!!!
Really the perfect sound for what I play and listen to.

Back