2022 Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s Goldtop....NGD

BRENTrocks

I was jonesin for a gold top Les Paul with humbuckers. I normally would go for a Heritage, but i couldn't find one for sale. So I decided to try a new 2022 Gibson.

This is the 50s Standard model.

Right out of the case, the neck felt great! .890-.990. The factory setup was pretty good as well, just some minor tweaking needed. I was hoping for a sub 9lb guitar...it came in at 9.5.

Fit and finish is very good. There is a small imperfection under the finish on the top between the toggle switch and the fretboard...its not that bad...I'm just being picky.

I was very surprised not to find a long neck tenon. I was happy to see that the electronics were hand wired and not the circuit board junk. I was also happy to find a 1 piece mahogany back.

Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups came installed. The BB 1 in the neck sounds pretty good. I'm not exactly super happy with the BB2 in the bridge. It seems really bright to me with lack of bottom end.

Overall, a very nice guitar. $2830 out the door with tax. Compared to a CS R7 at $5300 out the door with tax, the 50s gold top Standard is a great option! Great feel and great playability.

IMG_2259 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2260 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2261 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2262 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2263 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2264 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2265 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2266 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2267 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2269 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

Beautiful! Gold is where it’s at :cool:
F290B011-8480-494D-AA0E-7E55DF2D51BA.jpeg

Congrats!
The Slash model I bought last year was freaking fantastic. Sounded and felt old and special, built well, played stupid good.
There are some great guitars coming from Gibson right now.
I'd love to snag a gold top some day.

Hell yeah, that's a beauty! I've been wanting a gold top as well, and that's the choice I would have made, (unless I could find an older Studio gloss finished).

I've had other Standards with the BB's, and found the same as you. I thought the bridge pickup was downright abrasive. I had 3 other LP's at the time, so I sent it back and got a Classic White Explorer.

Hell yeah, that's a beauty! I've been wanting a gold top as well, and that's the choice I would have made, (unless I could find an older Studio gloss finished).

I've had other Standards with the BB's, and found the same as you. I thought the bridge pickup was downright abrasive. I had 3 other LP's at the time, so I sent it back and got a Classic White Explorer.
Black Explorer and a Silverburst SG are what I kept. A Suhr Modern kicked the LP to the curb.
Godwoods kill in my Explorer. I would have Scottosan make me a wicked 8 for the bridge pup if I got a new LP. Seriously good pickup.

I've had other Standards with the BB's, and found the same as you. I thought the bridge pickup was downright abrasive. I had 3 other LP's at the time, so I sent it back and got a Classic White Explorer
Black Explorer and a Silverburst SG are what I kept. A Suhr Modern kicked the LP to the curb.
Godwoods kill in my Explorer. I would have Scottosan make me a wicked 8 for the bridge pup if I got a new LP. Seriously good pickup.
Yep. I have an SG Standard as well. Love it. Id love to have the Silverburst Brent's got for sale too. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on an SG Modern. That trans black is badass, and its actually mahogany with a maple top. A beefier SG? Yes please. SG's rock.

I've had other Standards with the BB's, and found the same as you. I thought the bridge pickup was downright abrasive. I had 3 other LP's at the time, so I sent it back and got a Classic White Explorer

Yep. I have an SG Standard as well. Love it. Id love to have the Silverburst Brent's got for sale too. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on an SG Modern. That trans black is badass, and its actually mahogany with a maple top. A beefier SG? Yes please. SG's rock.
If his SB SG is anything like mine, and I think it is, it won't have as tight of an attack as the Explorer. Rather, you can dig in and get some great violin sounding leads, and all the classic, hard and stoner rock riffs you want. I saw a post where a dude flipped his modern after grabbing one of those SBs. That ebony fretboard is sexy.

Awesome! Love gold tops.

As far as the BB2……that is my favorite pup in a good LP. Compared to the original Custombucker in the bridge of my R9, the BB2 is warmer and beefier but still articulate. After the Custombuckers, I tried a pile of boutiques……including the Godwood mentioned here. As well as OX4, Wolfetones, etc. I went back to the Custombucker in the neck, but the BB2 just does it for me in the bridge with Marshall style amps.

I was jonesin for a gold top Les Paul with humbuckers. I normally would go for a Heritage, but i couldn't find one for sale. So I decided to try a new 2022 Gibson.

This is the 50s Standard model.

Right out of the case, the neck felt great! .890-.990. The factory setup was pretty good as well, just some minor tweaking needed. I was hoping for a sub 9lb guitar...it came in at 9.5.

Fit and finish is very good. There is a small imperfection under the finish on the top between the toggle switch and the fretboard...its not that bad...I'm just being picky.

I was very surprised not to find a long neck tenon. I was happy to see that the electronics were hand wired and not the circuit board junk. I was also happy to find a 1 piece mahogany back.

Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups came installed. The BB 1 in the neck sounds pretty good. I'm not exactly super happy with the BB2 in the bridge. It seems really bright to me with lack of bottom end.

Overall, a very nice guitar. $2830 out the door with tax. Compared to a CS R7 at $5300 out the door with tax, the 50s gold top Standard is a great option! Great feel and great playability.

IMG_2259 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2260 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2261 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2262 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2263 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2264 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2265 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2266 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2267 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_2269 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr
I have a 2020 Goldtop 50s standard. I’ve had it up for sale and taken it down because the more I play it the more it grows on me. I go back and forth on if it would be worth it to “upgrade” to a custom shop R7-R0. I have found I am not that picky about the necks as I thought I would be, I like them all. I dig the BB2 bridge as well but I did not like the 61T in the 61 reissue SG that I had so I assume I wouldn’t like that pickup in the 60s standard. Sorry, don’t mean to hijack, agree great guitars and likely a keeper for you.

Back