20th Shiva and channel volume?

PSGuitar

Where do you guys who gig or jam with others, set your channel volume? Some guys say running master up and channel low, gives a bigger tone. To me, I don't think it matters how you get the volume.

When I jammed and gigged the Shiva years ago, I always ran the channel volume almost halfway up. Then I had a tech try my amp and he said to run thr channel volume super low and rely on master volume. But, when jamming with the band recently, I had trouble keeping up and the master was at noon. I didn't notice much volume increase past noon.

That's when I realized my channel volumes were still so low, at like 8:00.
Once I opened up my channels to 11:00 or higher, it really opened ip the amp.

Anywone else fins that you need the channel volumes opened up a a bit!?

I had a 20th for two years, to me I ran the dirty channel at least 10 o’clock to 1 o’clock. Master around 9 - 10 o’clock. My clean volume was always slightly lower as that channel seemed louder that the dirty channel, usually between 9 an noon.

to me that’s how it sounded best. The other way with the master crank just didn’t yield good results for me.

20th Shiva for me: when it's sizzling (jamming, gigging - when we used to pre-COVID, or just givin' er in the sound room to flap the pants and sound good) was always channels at 2 o'clock, MV to taste (usually 11 o'clock) - 2 KT88s at MV noon are fkn loud. Especially from that particular amps circuit.

YMMV. Love my 20thSheevs
Peace

I do like it..
I had a jam session last week and rehearsal this past Tuesday and it just couldn't keep up like my Mark V or Dual Rec could!
I'm having it modified to use KT88s.
I don't find thr master volume does much beyond 12:00, so I'll have to try cranking thr channels.

Where do you have the gain set at? The MV, volume as well as the gain all kinda go hand-in-hand.

I'm having it modified to use KT88s.
Ah yes - you and I have crossed this path before... I'm talking stock KT88 20thA Shiva and you're going from EL34/KT77 model TO a KT88 mod.

I can't speak about anything on this other than "my stock KT88 loaded 20thA Shiva" fkn kills most amps in a band/jam/gig setting. It's bloody ferocious. And it's been played with a Fryette Sig and Pitbull, a few Marshalls, a Herbert, an oldschool HIWATT from 1980, a couple others (I think one dude had an Engl but can't remember the model) and a Rivera K-Tre which sounded absolutely amazing (so much so I want one, but came to realize they don't do well under "quieter" conditions).

My 20thA Shiva is my grab and go head for most musical outings - if it's a bit weirder - I'll take the D-Moll. Not that the D-Moll is lightweight :LOL: it just fits in my front seat better.

I have a 20th with 6CA7 tubes. I ordered it with EL34s. I am doing thr resistor mod to get it back to stock KT88. I worry because many people tell me you lose the nice smooth gain and feel when switching to KT88s.
Other than the EL34s, it's a stock 20th Anniversary model. I wasn't a fan of the standard Shiva.

Bogner makes his amps a little more polite and nice sounding, except the Uber

Although the 20th XTC has a little more bite and teeth than the 20th Shiva.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^ I remember the details well. This one stuck out in my mind as I'm oldschool - the 20thA only came with 88s, that's all I knew, that's all I bought. That's all I know still.

The 88 loaded Shiva - 20thA - tears a new arhoolie into most other amps, and is by no means more polite than my 20thA or standard 101B XTC. Sooooooooooooo, I know - to each their own - and everyone hears what their own ears hear - but the 20thA Shiva stock loaded with 88s (as in the one I have) is a beast. Whether or not that same magic will happen with your conversion from 6CA7 to 88s - can't say for sure. I hope so. I really do hope so.

The TJ is the raunchiest heavy hitter in the current production lot - IMHO, IME. It's the most devastating amp. Regardless - rock on!! :rock:

Honestly Ventura,
I know, you know your stuff. So, I shall see how the KT88 tubes do for me. Excited to try. Money is super tight so I haven't taken it to a tech yet, but I will.
Appreciate the input.

Do you use an OD or boost?

When you order a 20th New, you get KT88s, unless you special order a tube swap or mod. Only change is a piggy back resistor to allow the EL34s.
For thr 88s, they clip the resistor to use 88s. That's the only difference.
I had conversations with some of the engineers at Bogner when I ordered mine. Mine is 100% 20th Anniversary with the EL34 mod to use 34s. I'm basically undoing that mod to get it to true stock KT88 20th head.

What's a TJ?

Have you played the XTC? I read it is heavier sounding but could just be opinion. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Honestly Ventura,
I know, you know your stuff. So, I shall see how the KT88 tubes do for me. Excited to try. Money is super tight so I haven't taken it to a tech yet, but I will.
Appreciate the input.

Do you use an OD or boost?

When you order a 20th New, you get KT88s, unless you special order a tube swap or mod. Only change is a piggy back resistor to allow the EL34s.
For thr 88s, they clip the resistor to use 88s. That's the only difference.
I had conversations with some of the engineers at Bogner when I ordered mine. Mine is 100% 20th Anniversary with the EL34 mod to use 34s. I'm basically undoing that mod to get it to true stock KT88 20th head.

What's a TJ?

Have you played the XTC? I read it is heavier sounding but could just be opinion. Thanks for the info.
Never use boosts except for the built in one on the 20thA Shiva and the 20thA XTC - I've got a 101B as well. TJ is the TwinJet - it's goddamn nuclear. Small animals, and testicular sterilization at risk. So yes, I've played (and own) the 20thA XTC and a 101B XTC in addition to the 20thA Shiva.

I try to avoid all boosts and dirts and ODs if and when I can, and as any long termer here will KNOW I'M GONNA SAY, the only boost I ever use - if I ever use one - is the Creation Audio Labs Mk.4:23Pro - which is my Holy-Grail magic pedal. But do I use it with the Shiva? Or the XTC? Not mandatory. Usually on cleaner channels to add some oomph, or semi-crunch channels to add some blossom. That's it that's all and I know you know what you got going on.

We're solid!! :cool:🤩

Oh right! The Twin Jet. I wanted one for years but thought it was just heavy and that's it.. With not much clean?
So, the band I am with now, we do a lot of clean and thensuper heavy, often in one song. I played An Uber years ago.

I tried a PRS Archon and that was the closest I have tried. It's a crazy aggressive, great sounding amp.

That's awesome you have them all. :)
You're a great source of experience and info for these amps. :)

I haven't played the 20th XTC but read some reviews after they first hit the market that the 20th Shiva is more vintage and the 20th XTC more aggressive and modern. So without me actually playing these, I probably read some bad reviews that stuck in my head.

It was a friend of mine with the PRS Archon mentioning the 20TH Shiva is more polite next to his Archon but the Archon is known to be more like the Uberschall.

I have to try the MK Audio labs.
I used to use an Xotic BB and my Ben Fargen modified Overdrive and boost.
I've used some others too. The Shiva takes pedals so well. I find it fun to change the character of the OD or add a slight crunch on clean. I want to try it with the Friedman Buxom boost. :)

Thanks brother.....

Update - I did use a Creation Audio Labs MK Boost years ago. I recall loving it. I forget why I sold. Never used with the Shiva though. Man, I have to try another.

Update - I did use a Creation Audio Labs MK Boost years ago. I recall loving it. I forget why I sold. Never used with the Shiva though. Man, I have to try another.
The 48V Mk.4:23Pro which has been discontinued has some special mojo magic to it. I will never part with mine, there's just something it does and it does it amazingly well to my ears....

Keep us posted on the 88 upgrade when able (y):cool:

So you find the MK blends well with the amp? It's been years since I've sold it.
The Shiva takes pedals so well.

The 48V Mk.4:23Pro which has been discontinued has some special mojo magic to it. I will never part with mine, there's just something it does and it does it amazingly well to my ears....

Keep us posted on the 88 upgrade when able (y):cool:
How do KT88s compare to 6L6 tubes?
I tried Mesa which I think are Ruby tubes 6L6s, in my Mark V and didn't like them. Too glassy in the highs and thin in the mids.

How do KT88s compare to 6L6 tubes?
I tried Mesa which I think are Ruby tubes 6L6s, in my Mark V and didn't like them. Too glassy in the highs and thin in the mids.
Mmmmmmmmmm..... there's a massive difference - and also the amps circuit plays a huge role in all of this.

So you find the MK blends well with the amp? It's been years since I've sold it.
The Shiva takes pedals so well.
I've used the Mk.4:23Pro mostly on gritty channels, borderline hairy crunch, and often on super/crystal cleans. It doesn't act like any other pedal I have - it takes all that is good - and shines it up to be exquisitely amazing. Ya, that good. It's the most prized pedal I own - when I use it for whatever I use it for - as it's not something I need across the board at all times - it just makes everything "bloom" with incredible overtones and ZERO added grit or color. It's fkn amazing.

That's all I can say about it.

And no, I don't work for th company or receive any endorsements.
Unkle Mo

You don't find the 88s make the amp too scooped or glassy in the highs?

Maybe I will grab another of those MK pedals.

Back