22 watter just rips!

War_in_D

So, I've kind of built myself a shelving system in the guitar room to house my heads on top with the cabs underneath. I have all this running through a DeLisle 8x8 Deluxe amp switcher so I don't have to recable. Only problem was that on the left side of the shelving unit, where the Splawns are plugged in, I had some kind of ground loop going on and there was a really loud hum. Kinda bummed me out, and I've been looking for a solution. I happened across these Furman PST6+2 power strip/conditioners that are supposed to help keep the electronic noise to a minium so I boght two (one for each side of the shelving unit) and plugged one into the Splawn side of the setup last night. First impressions, the Furman seems to do the job but doesn't eliminate all the hum.. I'd say about 90% of it, so I'm happy. Second impression, my little Splawn Quickrod 22 watter just rips! I haven't really been playing them much because of the hum, but last night I fired all three of the Splawns up (100 watt QR and a KT88 Nitro along with the 22 watter) and that lower wattage Splawn just blew the other two away.

I fired all three of the Splawns up (100 watt QR and a KT88 Nitro along with the 22 watter) and that lower wattage Splawn just blew the other two away.

RRZSSYO.jpg

On your amp hum thing. Have you tried a ground lift? Are they all plugged into the same wall outlet?

Yeah, the Delisle amp switcher I have has a ground lift switch on it. At least that's what I assumed it was, and it didn't help any at all. It's funny, because I have a couple of Mesa's on the other side of the shelving unit, and they are both quiet as church mice. No hum, no nothing. I'm wondering if maybe the outlet that I have that side of the whole shebang plugged into is maybe not grounded correctly. I'm going to play around with it some more and see if I can eliminate the hum completely.

OK.

BTW - I'm not an electrician and I don't have nearly as complicated of a set up as you. Nor do I have any fancy amp switchers or Furman power conditioners. I toiled for months in trying to eliminate my extra noise and hum on my amps (Quick Rod + Mesa Rectoverb). That was mainly introduced when I hooked up both amp inputs to an MXR ABY box. I REALLY wanted this to work. Similar to what you are doing. I can actually run 3 amps through it but only 2 can ABY.

But this introduced a lot of ground loop noise. I tried preamp tubes, moving pedals around, replacing cables, etc. I WRONGFULLY assumed that the hum would go away if I put the amps on separate power outlets. Wrong. That made it worse. So what I ended up doing which is working great is I have both amps (all 3 actually) on 1 power strip and one of the amps has a ground lift adapter on it like below. I can't believe a $3 plug adapter fixed all of my problems. What I learned is that when you have amps connected this way, 'electricity' is looking for a single path to ground. If you have multiple paths - you get hum and noise. So IIRC I decided to make the Splawn the ground because it has the beefiest transformers and built in safety (screen grid resistors) etc. Not sure if that is correct from an EE perspective but that was my thought process. Now that I look, it is my 3rd amp (Peavey Vypyr 60) that has the ground lift. Not sure if that means it is not grounded but I rarely use it anyway.

Not sure if any of this will help you but it doesn't hurt to try. I am back to 'normal' amp hiss and no extra hum or noise.

y9WNUWtl.jpg

This is the video I found where I was like .... "Ah hah!" Go to the 3 minute mark at a minimum.

And these other ones might be good too - the one with the tree is grounding 101 which was decent IIRC:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fixing+ground+loops+in+guitar+amplificatin

That's good info. I've got one of those little ground testers that he plugged in, with the lights on it. I'm going to start there and check both of my outlets to make sure I've got good ground at both outlets. And.. I might not have a ground loop as I orginally thought. I wasn't getting that staticy kind of "buzz" through mine.. it was more of a louder humming noise. Either way, the Furman power conditioner/strip thing that I bought did quiet it down consdierably.

Cool.

Let us know what you find.

If you are indeed running amps off of two separate outlets, I will bet that is part of the problem. If it is, try getting all amps on 1 outlet and then ground lift one of them.

Cool.

Let us know what you find.

If you are indeed running amps off of two separate outlets, I will bet that is part of the problem. If it is, try getting all amps on 1 outlet and then ground lift one of them.

Yeah, that had crossed my mind too. The "using two different outlets" thing. That was going to be on my checklist of things to try out. LOL

If you have 2 heads, how would you hook them up the same cab? Is that possible? There is only 1 jack on cab so what do I need to buy lol?

I'm using a DeLisle 8x8 Deluxe switcher for all of my stuff. With that, you can run 8 heads into 8 cabs, or any combination of that. In my case, I'm running 5 heads and 3 cabs. There are two rotary switches on the front of the DeLisle that number 1-8. One for amps, one for cabs.. and then you just "mix and match" to your hearts content. LOL You can run any head, with any cab of your choosing.

The DeLisle is in the rack mount area in the middle, the third thing down. There is a rack tuner, then my Alesiz Quadraverb 2 and then the DeLisle.

IMG_20211107_192947524.jpg

DeLisle makes all kinds of different ones, depending on what you want to do. I had to go with the 8x8 because I had 5 heads that I was wanting to run but they make a 4x4 as well. I also wanted the attenuator loop, so I could eventually run my Fryette PS100. With the attenuator loop being the DeLisle, it works for all the head amp combos.

I want to hook up 2 heads (maybe 3) and 2 cabs. I will check out delisle for what would cover that . Thanks again!

Omg.......there is a 6×8 Delisle on reverb for $2300 Canadian. I don't want one that badly lol. Freaking expensive!!
I was thinking an amp and speaker switcher to be around $200 to $500.

With the DeLisle can all the heads be powered up at once?

In other words, it protects your amps by simulating a load (like a speaker load)?

I have never used anything like that but Radial makes several products too along these lines - like the HeadBone and the CabBone.

Edit: yeah the Radial boxes are in that $300-$500 range.

Yeah, when you're not using a head it get's switched over to a load.

From their website:

Amplifier inputs are transformer isolated to prevent ground loops. Unused amps are muted at the input and switched to a protective load.

It's pretty transparent too, as far as I can tell. I haven't really A/B'ed the signal going through the DeLisle vs. the amp/cab by itself but if there is any difference I'd say it's negligible. I've also switched cabs over in the middle of playing a chord. No weird pops or noises, and it's instantaneous with no lag.

It's pretty transparent too, as far as I can tell. I haven't really A/B'ed the signal going through the DeLisle vs. the amp/cab by itself but if there is any difference I'd say it's negligible. I've also switched cabs over in the middle of playing a chord. No weird pops or noises, and it's instantaneous with no lag.
Very cool!

Omg.......there is a 6×8 Delisle on reverb for $2300 Canadian. I don't want one that badly lol. Freaking expensive!!
I was thinking an amp and speaker switcher to be around $200 to $500.

Here is there website. I paid about $800 for mine, but that's because I wanted the rack mount version. The 4x4 Deluxe is around $550. Still a bit pricy, but when I was researching these the Delisle seemed to do everything I wanted and had great reviews from everyone that had used them.

https://www.delisleguitar.com/

Back