2203 Clone

Im trying to think what a person would charge to throw one together. It just seems after you buy all the parts and have someone build it...you could have bought a real 2203 for just a little more. There are some people that appear to build clones and sell them on craigslist. There is a guy in Jacksonville, FL that always has multiple Marshall clones for sale. He's got a 2204 w/ loop for $1150 on there now. No idea about the quality of build. EDIT: I just looked at the gutshot of that amp and it is not a real loop in that clone. But the build looks like a Ceriatone with Ceriatone iron with some upgraded caps (Synergy Royal Mustards). Looks decently done.

Do you want a real fx loop in it? That should factor in.

Last edited:
Im trying to think what a person would charge to throw one together. It just seems after you buy all the parts and have someone build it...you could have bought a real 2203 for just a little more. There are some people that appear to build clones and sell them on craigslist. There is a guy in Jacksonville, FL that always has multiple Marshall clones for sale. He's got a 2204 w/ loop for $1150 on there now. No idea about the quality of build. EDIT: I just looked at the gutshot of that amp and it is not a real loop in that clone. But the build looks like a Ceriatone with Ceriatone iron with some upgraded caps (Synergy Royal Mustards). Looks decently done.

Do you want a real fx loop in it? That should factor in.
I wound up getting Mike Marsh to build one for me. It should be done in a few weeks.

I prefer to do 2204's myself. I just did one with some mods for a friend. Alex from Sirius amps sent me a bunch of modifications with Jason(Headfirst) ST1 board. Turned out freaking great. I was actually surprised I built it and I've done over a dozen plexi and 800s. It had a bit more gain than the JEL mod but it wasn't brutal levels of gain. No zener or diode clipping.

I'm going another one with an ST1 based board that will be a straight up 800. I decided to build my next couple amps to replace the ones I sold. I'm going to do an 800, Plexi and slo. I have the slo and 800 boards populated. Just got the chassis for the 800.

Personally, I would go heybooer over mercury. I used a mercury before and I don't see the benefits over cost against a heybooer. I even like ceriatones iron. I think we obsess over the wrong things. I would rather spend time and money on good pots, resistors and lead dress over going all out on iron or some 5 dollar a piece 22nf cap.

I prefer to do 2204's myself. I just did one with some mods for a friend. Alex from Sirius amps sent me a bunch of modifications with Jason(Headfirst) ST1 board. Turned out freaking great. I was actually surprised I built it and I've done over a dozen plexi and 800s. It had a bit more gain than the JEL mod but it wasn't brutal levels of gain. No zener or diode clipping.

I'm going another one with an ST1 based board that will be a straight up 800. I decided to build my next couple amps to replace the ones I sold. I'm going to do an 800, Plexi and slo. I have the slo and 800 boards populated. Just got the chassis for the 800.

Personally, I would go heybooer over mercury. I used a mercury before and I don't see the benefits over cost against a heybooer. I even like ceriatones iron. I think we obsess over the wrong things. I would rather spend time and money on good pots, resistors and lead dress over going all out on iron or some 5 dollar a piece 22nf cap.
I went with the Mercury O-100-JM. I'm not worried about the money. I found a few good samples between the Metro Heyboer and that Merc, and I liked what I heard from the Mercury a lot better. I also like the Mallory caps compared to the Sozo stuff.

I would build my own, but I don't have time. I'm off work maybe 50 days a year now.

Do any clones exist with KT88s?

First, I'm not building or repairing amps anymore. But I built this using the Weber 8CM100 kit without transformers and used some vintage Triad transformers. The amp sounds awesome, at least to my ears.... it uses two KT88s and puts out a healthy 80 watts before clipping...

I added a rotary selector switch for the V1b cathode to switch from 10k, 4.7k, 4.7k/.68, 2.7k/1uf. But I use it mostly in the stock 10k selection. I also added a pull switch on the MV that adds a 22uf and .68uf on the V2a cathode.
If u plug into the low input and use the 2.7k/1uf and pull the fat switch on the MV, it's like a Super Lead with a pre-phase inverter MV. Very flexible amp for my needs...

20230109_195710~2.jpg

20230109_203830~2.jpg

20230708_132606~2.jpg

Last edited:
It's a dead simple circuit and you can even do a few mods a long the way like a saturation circuit on a switch, a Jose sort of deal, or bypass caps on a switch. Get a kit and grab a PCB somewhere to make it even simpler and quicker. Then just upgrade some of the caps and use some carbon comp in the preamp stage and crank it. Anything other than the studio reissues SV20 etc are way too expensive. There aren't even mustards in a lot of those, they are chicklet caps. So really you are paying for an old transformer or a reissue head that says Marshall on it without the old iron.

First, I'm not building or repairing amps anymore. But I built this using the Weber 8CM100 kit without transformers and used some vintage Triad transformers. The amp sounds awesome, at least to my ears.... it uses two KT88s and puts out a healthy 80 watts before clipping...

I added a rotary selector switch for the V1b cathode to switch from 10k, 4.7k, 4.7k/.68, 2.7k/1uf. But I use it mostly in the stock 10k selection. I also added a pull switch on the MV that adds a 22uf and .68uf on the V2a cathode.
If u plug into the low input and use the 2.7k/1uf and pull the fat switch on the MV, it's like a Super Lead with a pre-phase inverter MV. Very flexible amp for my needs...

View attachment 293159

View attachment 293162

View attachment 293165

That is killer. I wish i knew how to do those kits. It sounds awesome.

Why not Ceriatone?
Going to go out on a limb here and say probably the shipping costs. I always see them get mentioned as being "cheap" online, when in reality they're more like, slightly more affordable than Friedman. Not trying to flame Ceriatone cause they definitely seem like a good company, just it's not really so affordable for most people. And at that price point it's probably better to go with a domestic builder so that way you can save on the shipping and wait times.

I’ll chime in and say I don’t choose Mercury because they cost more. I actually do prefer their sound over other designs. They also under spec their stuff meaning it’s overbuilt and performs better than expected. Their shipping is also dirt cheap and they pack their stuff very well. Mercury has also had no problem talking custom small modifications to me or answering my questions. You get what you pay for and if all you’re after is something simple then go for it. If you require more insight then not only does Mercury perform well but they’ll give you the time of day and build you what you want without charging you $150/hr unlike Trace at Voodoo amps.

I wonder if we should start a thread on the best Transformers for the job by country and use. That would be helpful. I didn't find the weber transformers to be terrible by any means. I tend to think proper bias and some good NOS preamp tubes in certain positions can make a big diff. Yes some older transformer may sound " darker" or "smoother" or " bigger" but end of the day, run the amp properly and it will sound great regardless

I wonder if we should start a thread on the best Transformers for the job by country and use. That would be helpful. I didn't find the weber transformers to be terrible by any means. I tend to think proper bias and some good NOS preamp tubes in certain positions can make a big diff. Yes some older transformer may sound " darker" or "smoother" or " bigger" but end of the day, run the amp properly and it will sound great regardless
That would be cool! Yep!

Vavlestorm kit with heyboer iron is a great option. I built their 2203 kit and ended up putting 6550 tubes in it and absolutely love the sound of the amp.
Looks awesome.. who did the cab?

Where do ya'll get your Marshall emblems? I'm about to build a Mojotone JMP.

When I built my 2204 I used Mojo tone's Layout .... their turret board and chassis ( to match their layout ) and I sourced all the parts my self ....
I modded it into a JEL a few weeks after it was done ..... couldn't be happier ... and then with the cost of headshells .... I just ordered some Baltic Birch and built my own ...
1709995192107.jpeg

1709995267168.jpeg

1709995336316.jpeg

Back