5150X RACK Preamp

Exo-metal

Seems like no one has mentioned ever making a 5150 rackmount preamp. Soldano made the X88R. The 5150 may be worth a build with certain tweaks to make it better.

Jason/Headfirst opened up the slo 3rd stage and it sounded killer. Who knows the original 5150? I ask bc no one likes to work on the 5150 but building a preamp could be of interest?

Last edited:
To my understanding the notorious 39k cold clipper is what Mesa and Peavey copied in their Dual Rectifier and 5150 designs respectively. And what made Mike Soldano so pissed when he realised it.

Edit: He probably just reached out for a 3.9k resistor and grabbed the wrong box with 10x the value. 3.9k would be a common value in this place to increase the gain in a Marshall 2203 circuit for example.

Kartakou colossus is a 5150 and 5150 2(on same device) preamp. I've had two. And had a 5150 sig beside it and it was identical when going through similar power section. It had a few other features that actually made it sound better IMHO. The second one I had, had some weird stuff going on when powering up so I got rid of if.

I have a pcb for a 5150 preamp on the way. Alex at Sirirus amps is sending it to me.

There was a recent video with Mike Soldano and Dave Friedman on tone talk. The recto pre-amp is an exact copy of the slo-100. Including some odd ball stuff. The 5150 to my understanding isn’t.

I would like to see someone in the states build a ptp rack version of block letter 5150 w/some small mods. I reached out to Tim Wilcox since he built some Langner DCP-1 preamps. We could call it the 5150X

Last edited:
I would like to see someone in the states build a ptp rack version of block letter 5150 w/some small mods. I reached out to Tim Wilcox since he built some Langner DCP-1 preamps. We could call it the 5150X
I don't know anyone in the states that would do it. When you say PTP do you mean a turret board build?

I'm surprised the diyers haven't claimed to have the circuit. I'm sure it's out there. There has to be someone in the states. Like I said Tim Wilcox comes to mind but yeah a turret build, why not?

Back