6CA7/KT77 in 20th XTC

souldigger

It's time to retube my 20th EL34 model and I was thinking of trying something a bit different. The 6CA7 is the tube I am really interested, but I haven't found too much info. on them in the 20th. Seems like KT77's are a winner. Anyone try the 6CA7's - thoughts, impressions? I'm also wondering if say a set of JJ 6CA7's can handle the plate voltage.

-JD

souldigger":kjzuxgwt said:
It's time to retube my 20th EL34 model and I was thinking of trying something a bit different. The 6CA7 is the tube I am really interested, but I haven't found too much info. on them in the 20th. Seems like KT77's are a winner. Anyone try the 6CA7's - thoughts, impressions? I'm also wondering if say a set of JJ 6CA7's can handle the plate voltage.

-JD
If the jj6ca7 didn't exist, I probably wouldn't own my twin jet still. I bet they would sound great in it. I loved winged =c= in the 20th though over everything I tried in it unfortunately. Never tried kt77 in the 20th, but I bet that would be a cool sound. People seem to really like the 6l6 version too, maybe it can give it a little mix of flavor.

I had KT77s in mine, which I thought was an improvement over 34's. Less boxy and more open. I decided to send my amp back to Bogner for the 6L6/OT swap. I've talked to a number of people who've played both versions and this seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for the replies. Se7en, which kt77's did you try? Thinking about JJ's as they are more affordable than the Gold Lions. I was afraid when I purchased this that I may really want the 6l6 version. I got a great deal on it used locally. I need to check out a 6l6 20th just for comparisons sakes as the clips I've heard I definitely think the red and green channel will suit my playing style better. Just curious what the ballpark is to have Bogner mod it to 6l6's/new OT? Thanks

-JD

I had the Gold Lion KT77's. The amp was truly designed around 6L6's as the new boutique capacitors have more midrange. The cost for the mod/tubes is $350 + $60 return shipping if you're not local.

I bought the EL34 version 20thA and am running Gold Lion KT77's in it. It's been a while since I've played it - as I'm about 4000 miles from my gear, but the improvement was incredbile switching from the stock Sovteks (I believe they were) to the Gold Lion KT77s. I biased them at about 32.5 to 33.5 and the amp really changed in its detail, clarity and richness. Same tone as a fundamental, but the notes and feel just came alive.

Ventura":1ln15oyl said:
I bought the EL34 version 20thA and am running Gold Lion KT77's in it. It's been a while since I've played it - as I'm about 4000 miles from my gear, but the improvement was incredbile switching from the stock Sovteks (I believe they were) to the Gold Lion KT77s. I biased them at about 32.5 to 33.5 and the amp really changed in its detail, clarity and richness. Same tone as a fundamental, but the notes and feel just came alive.

Thanks for the insight Mo. I have ordered a set of Gold Lion's and a set of JJ 6CA7's. What you describe is exactly how I hope it will sound with the new tubes. As soon as I get them in I will report back with a tone report.

-JD

Back