74’ Marshall Jose Arredondo modded clip

Congrats on the amp, Jeremy.
I like this one even better than your first one, which was already great!
I've seen one and know of another Marshall, both "modded" by Jose, that were bought as returned to original, but with the AARCO sticker still on the the back, were modded by someone else to replicate a Jose mod.
The person who pointed me out to the one I've seen said he has seen a few of these fake Jose amps.
With the prices they are going for, no wonder why people are faking them for profit.
Look for the silver sticker that Jose used to put on the back of the Chasey.
It had his name, the address and phone number .

If I sell my Jose Arredondo modded Carvin X-100 B, I am going to sell it at only a 1986 Carvin amp price .

I am not selling it, it's a great JCM 800 Killer. It has Soldano / 5150 hard drive and the cleans of a Fender Princeton Amp.

Last edited:
I've seen one and know of another Marshall, both "modded" by Jose, that were bought as returned to original, but with the AARCO sticker still on the the back, were modded by someone else to replicate a Jose mod.
The person who pointed me out to the one I've seen said he has seen a few of these fake Jose amps.
With the prices they are going for, no wonder why people are faking them for profit.
Thanks man I appreciate it.

Yeah, I can imagine those returned to stock amps were “re-Jose’d” over the years. I guess with anything that goes up in value, fakes are inevitable.

It’s nice having Dave close by. I trust him 100% on authenticating these amps. He took a look at this one and told me he believes it’s all original and Jose’s work. He looks for very specific materials he used and also the way the work was done. Impossible to 100% authenticate anything, but I feel pretty good about it, having his confirmation.

The sticker you mention ^^ is the 'tell' on the fake Jose's out there....ARRCO is correct; AARCO is not. There have been more than a few with the wrong AARCO sticker on the back of, and top of chassis. These used to be in the 5-6K range, so even 15 yrs ago they were counterfeit material like a pre pro Charvel would be. Now they are double that or even more.

The sticker you mention ^^ is the 'tell' on the fake Jose's out there....ARRCO is correct; AARCO is not. There have been more than a few with the wrong AARCO sticker on the back of, and top of chassis. These used to be in the 5-6K range, so even 15 yrs ago they were counterfeit material like a pre pro Charvel would be. Now they are double that or even more.
Wow. I never realized this. I had to go back and look at the sticker on mine 🤣

Wow. I never realized this. I had to go back and look at the sticker on mine 🤣
Yeah, it was a thing that was mentioned here around the time I joined up 10-12 yrs ago...The occasional 'Jose' would show up on eBay or Craigslist somewhere, and guys here would pick it apart as best they could to verify it...Steve Henning, Mike Fortin, and a couple others could usually tell IF the seller showed the circuit, like Dave F did for you to verify the real deal. Like you said, Jose used certain push/pull pots and other parts in a certain way that was a 'tell' to guys who used to own them. But the ARRCO sticker was the real deal; not the AARCO that was sometimes showing up on older Marshalls...someone went to some trouble to try and fake that sticker lol.

Yeah, it was a thing that was mentioned here around the time I joined up 10-12 yrs ago...The occasional 'Jose' would show up on eBay or Craigslist somewhere, and guys here would pick it apart as best they could to verify it...Steve Henning, Mike Fortin, and a couple others could usually tell IF the seller showed the circuit, like Dave F did for you to verify the real deal. Like you said, Jose used certain push/pull pots and other parts in a certain way that was a 'tell' to guys who used to own them. But the ARRCO sticker was the real deal; not the AARCO that was sometimes showing up on older Marshalls...someone went to some trouble to try and fake that sticker lol.
Wow !!!! .... that far ?

I sold one of these for a ridiculous price and the person bought it . I could have upped the price , but I have a conscious.
I still have 3 more and two Vibra- Choruses .
20220616_180716.jpg

Yep, back then the Jose Marshalls were becoming uber collectable; 5K or more even then. I remember 1 or 2 showing up on eBay but were quickly shot down by knowledgable guys here. Back then, a Cameron was 1800, SLOs 2K, Wizards 2K and C+ 2-3K. So a 5K modded Marshall was double what they would typically go for.

Yep, back then the Jose Marshalls were becoming uber collectable; 5K or more even then. I remember 1 or 2 showing up on eBay but were quickly shot down by knowledgable guys here. Back then, a Cameron was 1800, SLOs 2K, Wizards 2K and C+ 2-3K. So a 5K modded Marshall was double what they would typically go for.
We are a bunch of overpriced paying dumb asshoes. :bash:

What’s the two fender knobs on the back?
I’m assuming one is the extra gain stage gain knob but what’s the second one?

What’s the two fender knobs on the back?
I’m assuming one is the extra gain stage gain knob but what’s the second one?
Yes one is the pot for extra gain stage. Pull to engage the stage. Then turn up or down to control the amount of signal.

The second one is on both of my Jose’s, but not on all of them. It adjusts the plate voltage of the added stage. It’s a 12 position rotary with different value resistors on each position.

Yes one is the pot for extra gain stage. Pull to engage the stage. Then turn up or down to control the amount of signal.

The second one is on both of my Jose’s, but not on all of them. It adjusts the plate voltage of the added stage. It’s a 12 position rotary with different value resistors on each position.
That’s interesting. I don’t recall ever seeing that kinda Jose mod.
I hope you snap some pics next time you have it opened up.

I must have been thinking of Paul Rivera .
When I took in a Carvin X-100 B for modification at Jose's shop, his son ( Omar ) was in the shop lending a hand and wrote the Invoice for the repairs .

Paul Rivera isn´t dead at all, as far as I know, but you´re right that his son Junior also works at the company.

The only one who continued Jose's work was Mark Cameron. He finished like 10-15 partially started or half completed amps. They were sold off by the store that bought all of the equipment from Joe's store as original Jose mods. Keep in mind Jose wasn't near at the legend status as portrayed today. Those faux Jose amps were sold dirt cheap.

With Mark perhaps not being the most reliable dude out there, I´ve always wondered if this was really real or just a little something to drum up interest for his work? I´ve heard this as the origin story for the Atomica stuff, along the lines that it was copied from a magic José who got away never to be seen again, but I suppose there must have been other guys around who saw those amps.

With Mark perhaps not being the most reliable dude out there, I´ve always wondered if this was really real or just a little something to drum up interest for his work? I´ve heard this as the origin story for the Atomica stuff, along the lines that it was copied from a magic José who got away never to be seen again, but I suppose there must have been other guys around who saw those amps.

Chubtone on here was the one that originally posted about most of that stuff back on the old Metro forum IIRC... Chub feel free to correct me if I am mistaken. Unless you think he was lying for no apparent reason?

Last edited:
Chubtone on here was the one that originally posted about most of that stuff back on the old Metro forum IIRC... Chub feel free to correct me if I am mistaken. Unless you think he was lying for no apparent reason?
Yep I remember reading that post from Curt long ago…

Nope, I just never knew where the whole thing originated, and I don't think I ever saw those posts or that anyone had been around the shop and seen them. I obviously have no reason to doubt Chub.

Back