80’s Lush Analog Chorus?

yeah same thing. i have a bunch of those old DOD's, the fx90 delay is great too
I remembered that I have an old DOD chorus; looked in my 'box o stuff' and dug it out..it's the DOD FX65. I pulled the CE 5 out of my board and put in the DOD and WOW what an improvement. It's not as warm as the Boss but it is WAY quieter..like transparent compared to the Boss.

f7bURuJ9idMH614khyX54BYQmp00GkV97cT38baqWyiaj6CII5ud1YzOutrlTOJuQf_c_zxdQ8NUu3TrN3mpoYRCGQKSSeMH-azPF_KhOCLDPuIYtELQg1JT3JTFw5dlefPdpsO6ECs-X11fei5GglT_syq6luIJt44Zln7Mg_bHW7506B0cm3vAOSf5WLXlbxkQ8-e1gPZ-IIo6abYwQVOq

I remembered that I have an old DOD chorus; looked in my 'box o stuff' and dug it out..it's the DOD FX65. I pulled the CE 5 out of my board and put in the DOD and WOW what an improvement. It's not as warm as the Boss but it is WAY quieter..like transparent compared to the Boss.

I remember having that one a way long time ago and comparing it to my buddies boss and thinking the same thing, it wasn’t as “watery” and more subtle. I have a few choruses here I haven’t played in forever, I might have to bust them out now

Last year I have done several tests.
I compared several anlog chorus units, old and new as well as digital units. My aim was for a warm subtle solution.
More intense thick chorus sounds would have been a different topic.

The winners were the old blue CE-2 and the classic CE-1. Also the Chorus build into the Ibanez UE-400/405 was top notch.
The Boss CE-2B was not as good. All newer pedals (such as MXR M134), analog or digital were not on the same level, including large Strymon, Boss 500, H9 units and some rack gear. Also CE-1W is not the same as the CE-1.
If you want that subtle chorus sound, it seems the older BBDs simply sound better.
Obviously, I didn't have every product in the world.
My aim was to create such sound in full stereo format which obviously a Strymon Mobius, Eventide H9 oder Boss MD500 would do really easy. However, the old versions were simply superior to my ear, so I went for two CE-1 silver screw units. I single CE-1 would be fine if you run a mono in stereo setup. I run dry/wet/wet however ...

I like Jam Pedals Waterfall analog, lush, warm chorus but doesn’t sound like Wylde. Same for Malekko chorus.
I never liked newer Boss choruses too much, sound cheap and digital.
One of the best and monstrous sounding choruses are in Fractal, precisely FX8 for pedalboard. You can have them before preamp or after. Together with top-tier delays, reverbs, drives and noise gate makes FX8 excellent choice.

Last year I have done several tests.
I compared several anlog chorus units, old and new as well as digital units. My aim was for a warm subtle solution.
More intense thick chorus sounds would have been a different topic.

The winners were the old blue CE-2 and the classic CE-1. Also the Chorus build into the Ibanez UE-400/405 was top notch.
The Boss CE-2B was not as good. All newer pedals (such as MXR M134), analog or digital were not on the same level, including large Strymon, Boss 500, H9 units and some rack gear. Also CE-1W is not the same as the CE-1.
If you want that subtle chorus sound, it seems the older BBDs simply sound better.
Obviously, I didn't have every product in the world.
My aim was to create such sound in full stereo format which obviously a Strymon Mobius, Eventide H9 oder Boss MD500 would do really easy. However, the old versions were simply superior to my ear, so I went for two CE-1 silver screw units. I single CE-1 would be fine if you run a mono in stereo setup. I run dry/wet/wet however ...
agree! run the 2 into the 1 and it’s ripple city! a bit too noisy for live but worth hearing!

I bought a used Mooer pitch box and dumped all my chorus stomps. Set it on detune, -1 for a subtle chorus, -2 for a more noticeable effect, think Van Hagar. Super clean, super lush. I love it!

Live i think Wylde was also running things even cheaper with the CH-1 stereo chorus for most of the No More Tears era. EMG, sd-1, ch-1, wah into 800's. Nice and easy to troubleshoot on the road no matter the country. Even with all that signature gear, his best tones are the ones he got 30 years ago. Probably also helps that he didn't have to tune down 3 steps.

I don‘t think the EMGs are needed at all, the “slickness” is the Aphex Exciter, gives his tone that sheen or sparkle. That and the SPX 90 and you’re there. Of course the EV 12Ls help too.

I don‘t think the EMGs are needed at all, the “slickness” is the Aphex Exciter, gives his tone that sheen or sparkle. That and the SPX 90 and you’re there. Of course the EV 12Ls help too.

Those SPX90's are pretty cheap now too. In a world where "vintage" gear that was throw away in the 90's is now valuable, it is nice some things have stayed affordable. Probably because it is digital.

Back