A warning about the Splawn Pro Mod on GC's used site

Matt300ZXT

I came across this last week, as I am entertaining the thought of picking up a used Splawn. They have an old 05 Pro Mod, pre-gears, for $1179 I think it was. The amp is advertised as having a bad clean channel and a local tech said it needed to be returned to Splawn for work. There is a guy on here that mentioned it to me the other day, and he was nice enough to go by today and check it out and see what Guitar Center had to say about it. He said they were going to drop it to $799 because they said the tech told them Scott told them it needed $400 in repair for a new board for the clean channel. So if you figure $800 plus $400 in repair, you get a checked out, repaired amp for $1200, which is probably about what it's worth if in good shape.

Welllllll, turns out that's not true, and I don't want anyone on here that's considering the amp to be suckered into buying it. I called Splawn today and actually got ahold of Scott (didn't know it was him at first). He is familiar with the amp as he's gotten several calls about it recently, and even had photos sent to him by a tech that checked it out. He said the board is burned up, not just a few dead resistors or whatever. He said he doesn't remember quoting anyone $400 and that the amp is going to need to be gutted, the board updated to what they're using now, along with some other parts replaced to make everything play nice together. He said it's going to be closer to $800 in repair, and it probably isn't really even worth putting the money into.

So, be warned if you're considering that amp, it's a burned up amp that only the dirty channel works on. And while that may be all you need, if the board is burned up, how long before something else goes? So, if Guitar Center will sell you that amp for $300-400, it may be worth your time. Otherwise, it's probably best to let the amp collect dust in their store until it rusts away to nothing.

Well most of us do, but I didn't want anyone to take them at their word (whether they're lying or the tech was) that $400 is all it'd take. At first you're like that's not bad, until you find out there was some miscommunication, and now you're essentially in "should have just bought a new one" territory.

My 74 Marshall I got a good deal on from GC needed completely gutted and rewired - the build thread outlines everything that was wrong with it.

If GC is discounting anything then you know it’s in bad shape.

My 74 Marshall I got a good deal on from GC needed completely gutted and rewired - the build thread outlines everything that was wrong with it.

If GC is discounting anything then you know it’s in bad shape.
Or, it just isn't selling for the original price. They have a great return policy for a reason....If you take a chance on something then make sure you go through it thoroughly so you don't keep it past the return window if there's a problem.

Yeah, I got a really bad vibe from that amp once I saw it disappear and pop back up several times over the last couple of months. I knew there had to be something really wrong with it for it to keep coming back.

That being said, my red Nitro that I got from GC used was discounted WAY down like that too. I think they had marked it to like $750-ish from around $1400. It was somewhere around half price. When it got here, it had a really bad microphonic squeal but some different tubes cured that and it was good to go. I ended up sending it back to Scott to have the fully loaded mods done, and he converted it to KT88's while it was there. That Nitro is a monster!

GC is a pitiful excuse for keeping the lights on. I went in the first charlotte nc store, even then it was a joke. Went across town to Action Music / privately owned/ long gone and bought 3 jmp 100 watts and a rocktron juice extractor that belonged to the dude in Firehouse for 1300 and some change. This little shop blew that big corporate bullshit away

Hold off on the GC hate. I checked this amp out this morning on my drive back from Tucson. The Tempe location was not the original seller. They took it on a return from a local guy who bought off their website. The manager there was very nice, but I have to say a woman, and she's probably not an amp builder in her spare time. Just laying that out there. When I asked about the head, two other employees chimed in about it. They knew the amp had some stories. They sent it to a local tech, knew it was only getting fixed by going back to Splawn and said the real price was $799. I'll make the wild guess that whichever GC employee took this in on a used buy/trade didn't pull the chassis and poke around with a DMM. Yeah, the amp needs work and I know everyone loves to hate GC. But these guys didn't do anything wrong and are not amp techs.

Back