Albums that desperately need to be re-recorded/re-mixed or even re-mastered

Metalhex

Nocturnus_thresholds.jpg

This production on this album is beyond disappointing...and musically, it is a masterpiece!
81r3FVfNG3L._SL1425_.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, with inaudible bass, this is only 75% of a complete album.

Richie Kotzen's debut album for sure.....some of the most amazing guitar playing ever with the worst guitar tone ever yet heard. That'll never happen though :(

Devin Townsend - Physicist

Definitely needs to be re-recorded (Devin would be the first to agree).

This is possibly the only "noise production" album I actually love. A bit more clarity would be nice though. The original Physicist version of the song "Kingdom" stomps the re-recorded one he did in my opinion; it has so much more energy

1645481840512.jpeg

I LOVE the reverb drenched guitars on this album, but it would sound so much better with some bass and drums being remixed. Just needs more balls. Great songs tho. Schenker on fire.

Well since re-recording Blizzard of Oz aka Blizzard of Nails would involve resurrecting Randy...I'll vote that. :LOL:

Certain albums I remember as sounding killer but the CD sounds like shit. Like Tres Hombres. That record had such a cool sound on vinyl.

id say breeding the spawn by suffocation. i dont know what the fuck they were doing, this was between effigy of the forgotten and pierced from within which are both death metal classics.

Richie Kotzen's debut album for sure.....some of the most amazing guitar playing ever with the worst guitar tone ever yet heard. That'll never happen though :(
I think there were more than a few early Shrapnel records that had horrific tone! Richie's was the worst, but Greg Howe's was pretty close. Not necessarily for the guitar tone tone, but that god awful Billy Sheehan tone killed that record. I think the first Shrapnel records guitar tone that I really liked was Michael Lee Firkins.

All Metallica albums sound better when you digitally speed them up to 1.15 to 1.20 speed.
Load/Reload and St.Anger sound best when the CD is thrown violently into a trash can.
Seriously,I love the remix I got of a Pantera album with no Phil vocals on it. You can hear all the little nuances of Dimes playing clearly.

I wish for AJFA they had kept Jason's bass sound from Garage Days Re-revisited. It is what it is, but it could have been much betterer.

I wish Entombed's - To Ride... album was mixed better. Way to much ear fatiguing nasally high mids to the songs. Wolverine Blues was perfect.

Morbid Angel's - Domination has a mix way too bass thick and muddy, love the album but wish it was cleaned up at the low end.
Heretic is quite aweful mix-wise. It has fk all bottom end. Maybe a middle ground between the this two albums would work. Kingdoms Disdained sounds great. Illud sounded great too, just was a bit of a total train wreck on it's content. The heavier songs sound cool, its just that the shit splatter from the bad ones stained it all.

I definitely agree with the AJFA with audible bass. It’s funny I remember listening to the album a lot when I was a kid (usually on a walkman with shitty headphones) and it’s not something I noticed or thought about. Just accepted whatever something sounded like and didn’t analyze it. If the music as a whole grabbed you that’s all that mattered.

But now? I cannot ignore that the album sounds like James and Lars playing alone with Kirk popping up every once in a while wahing through a solo. The guitars have a lot of bass frequencies to them but that’s not all bass guitar is for; it’s incomplete compositionally.

Yngwie Malmsteen - War to End All Wars:
Muddy mix, vocals are too low, lead solos are too loud.
617eGZ05-ML._SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

This album is so trebely it makes my ears bleed. There used to be clips on youtube.

Last edited:
Back