Amp repair help….

Norton666

Ok I’m officially stumped. I have a 78 JMP that started whistling on me at my last rehearsal. I assumed it was a preamp tube, so I replaced them. Now, with nothing plugged in…it sounds like a dang air raid siren! Suggestions?

Check for ground loop. My Delisle switcher makes my high gainers squeal like that. Once I plug direct into amp Output still going thru Delisle, it goes away/ That and typical extra hum.

Check for ground loop. My Delisle switcher makes my high gainers squeal like that. Once I plug direct into amp Output still going thru Delisle, it goes away/ That and typical extra hum.
Really? Is that at high volume or all volumes? I was considering one of their switchers down the road but it's just for home use and ease of use with different amps.

It does. Reading up on it some others have had same issue. Related to ground loop. Trying to solve for, got it a bit better, but still there.
I hope you can figure it out. I really like what they have and the prices. I like they have an option to put my PS-100 into it.

Divide an conquer. It’s definitely oscillation and does it with no signal. So, pull the phase inverter tube. If it still whistles you know power amp. If it goes away likely preamp. Then perhaps some further suggestions can be given

Last edited:
One of my marshalls did that and it was capacitor? i think that was under the board. Someone else fixed it

Update! I finally got around to troubleshooting and with no preamp tubes installed, there is now air raid siren. The only time it happens is when I put a tube in V2. Tried many different tubes, with no avail. Suggestions? Thanks fellas!

Really? Is that at high volume or all volumes? I was considering one of their switchers down the road but it's just for home use and ease of use with different amps.
I’ve got the V2, and you have to manually change the cord to the preferred amp’s input, and it does have that issue. It’s a great unit.

Back